Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Best VPN ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Re: Best VPN ?

Postby formoverfunction » February 12th, 2024, 12:18 pm

on the slightly off topic of combining VPN's with other layers of protection, such as Relay or keeping a hosts file. Has any Mac users installed any of Patrick Wardles tools:

https://objective-see.org/tools.html

I see people talking about LuLu as an alternative to Little Snitch, but I am interested in https://objective-see.org/products/knockknock.html

Probably, like most investors, I spend all day downloading pdf's, around 5gb a month. I always feel like that's a potential problem and access point.

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 12th, 2024, 3:52 pm

Has any Mac users installed any of Patrick Wardles tools:

I have LuLu and BlockBlock installed, I have in the past used KnockKnock. Nice to have. I have not experienced any negative aspects of using them but then neither have I had them find/prevent any nasties; but then I am very careful what and from where I download anything, keep my browser locked-down and block all but necessary Javascript, third-part connections etc using NoScript and uBlock Origin.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » February 12th, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thanks, I am like you, I also keep my system locked down, I might give KnockKnock more consideration.

I've thought of using LuLu. I do use OpenSnitch on my Linux devices. I don't find it problematic to use.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 13th, 2024, 4:00 pm

formoverfunction wrote:Thanks, I am like you, I also keep my system locked down, I might give KnockKnock more consideration.

I've thought of using LuLu. I do use OpenSnitch on my Linux devices. I don't find it problematic to use.

Without wishing to drag the thread too off topic are you putting those Linux devices on their own subnet/VLAN to isolate them from the rest of the home network or just relying on the device firewall to block all non essential outgoing packets?

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » February 13th, 2024, 5:17 pm

I am just relying on the device firewalls, I have thought about putting them on their own subnet, but I feel secure enough with the precautions I've made. There's a point where it goes beyond the risk profile. I also like to be mobile, so a laptop, single board (or small form computer) and a virtual machine, kind of works for me. I can set it up almost anywhere and work.

I have played about with DangerZone, but it's a little bit of a pain

https://dangerzone.rocks/

My concern is really pdf files.

So I see security as 2 fold; keeping a low profile with Proton's suite of products and dealing with the large number of pdf's I download. Something additional like KnockKnock might be a consideration.

I know there's potential risks running any set up, but this works for me.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 13th, 2024, 5:51 pm

formoverfunction wrote:... I also like to be mobile, so a laptop, single board (or small form computer) and a virtual machine, kind of works for me. I can set it up almost anywhere and work...

Likewise, I've got an X86-64 Chromebook with Android and Debian 12 VM's (containers), each with a Tailscale instance and two Tailscaled 5/4G Pixels (6a + 8 pro) with unlimited data plans on different networks.

The GL.iNET travel routers are worth looking at, feature rich small footprint, built in VPN options, multi WAN with load balancing/failover capability etc. I'm waiting for the one with the built in battery to get released. Run OpenWRT from memory.

Could probably set them up to a be a subnet router in the home and then take them out 'n about as well with all the mobile kit preconfigured. Plug 'n play :)

https://www.gl-inet.com/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”