Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

YouTube ads

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

YouTube ads

Postby Clitheroekid » November 24th, 2023, 7:47 pm

I've been using YT on my PC from time immemorial, and I think it's brilliant. But a few weeks ago I started getting aggressive messages from YT saying that if I didn't stop using an ad blocker my access to YT would be stopped. The messages would say things like I could only watch 3 more videos, and that would be it.

I took no notice of it, and have carried on using YT without any problem. The threats have now ceased.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? The reason I ask is that YT is built in on my smart TV, so I do get the ads, and they are incredibly irritating :evil: I detest ads on ordinary commercial TV, but at least they can easily be avoided by recording then fast forwarding through them.

Even if I for some reason have to watch commercial TV live then at least the ads arrive at predictable and manageable intervals, but on YT they appear entirely at random in the middle of a video. It's the equivalent of watching a film at the cinema when someone suddenly jumps to his feet and starts shouting about the great deals being offered at the local tandoori restaurant.

The ads completely disrupt the viewing experience, and they're extremely bad for my blood pressure.

But it occurred to me that if I can effectively kill the ads on my PC by using an ad blocker is there any way I could do so on my TV? I have zero knowledge of the technology, or whether the fact that YT is pre-installed on my TV would prevent this, but if anyone can suggest a way of watching YT without ads (and without paying!) I'd be joljy grateful.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: YouTube ads

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 24th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Rather than using the app, use your (TV) web-browser and go to (one of the options from) here https://invidious.io/

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: YouTube ads

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 24th, 2023, 8:48 pm

You could add a Google Chromecast to your TV and cast to it from a PC with an adblocker.

RC

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”