Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

WiFI Repeaters/Extenders?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

WiFI Repeaters/Extenders?

Postby stevensfo » December 5th, 2023, 3:00 pm

I will probably have to expand our WiFi out into the garden.

When I search on Amazon, I'm totally confused by the price range and specifications.

What is the difference between a WiFi Repeater and Extender? The same thing?

Although there are security cameras that can be bought with small solar panels to power them, I haven't found any for WiFi.

Any recommendations for beaming WiFi down the garden? As simple as possible, please! ;)

Steve

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: WiFI Repeaters/Extenders?

Postby Infrasonic » December 5th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Repeater = takes existing wifi signal and er repeats it. Downside is if your wifi signal is weak/nosiy then it might be a bit chocolate teapot. Last resort for me if I was in your situation.

Extender/WAP. Runs on a cable, ethernet usually. So you could run an ethernet cable from your router to a point in your house near the garden with a PoE (power over ethernet) injector at the router end to power the Wireless Access Point. You can get skinny round or flat CAT6(A) ethernet cables on Amazon e.g. Monoprice Slimrun.

Powerline
Running two PL plugs via the mains wiring in your house. One plug at the router end with a short ethernet cable to it, the second cable/WiFi plug at the destination end. AV2 is a decent spec but you won't get anywhere near the headline rates in the real world, which may not be an issue for just a bit of web surfing.

MoCA
Same as powerline but ethernet over co-ax cable. Better performance than Powerline, almost as good as straight ethernet. If you've already got co-ax installed from a previous AV setup like NTL/Virgin then should be good to go.
https://mocalliance.org/index.php

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 5th, 2023, 3:54 pm

Hi Stevensfo.

Look up "TL-WPA7617 KIT" on Amazon or your supplier of choice - similar options are available.

Plug the non-wireless end in near your router (it has a power-point pass through so that is no issue) and the wireless end on a socket adjacent to your garden.

It will just work - and you can expand it later if needed!

Avoid Wifi-repeaters IMO.

Regards, Newroad

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » December 6th, 2023, 7:35 am

When you say out in the garden, how far are you talking. Average uk sized or a couple of acres.

Another option might be a wifi mesh system. Probably a bit more expensive but much better in operation especially if you have poor signal areas in and around the house.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 6th, 2023, 7:54 am

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » December 6th, 2023, 12:18 pm

I bought a MESH system a few weeks and have been very pleased. Great coverage and speed throughout the house and garden, although I do not have a large garden. I am no techie but it was very easy to install and is a great improvement over the powerline repeaters I used to have.

MM

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”