Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mouse gone mental

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
James
Lemon Slice

Mouse gone mental

Postby James » December 10th, 2023, 6:29 pm

Hi
For reasons unknown, my wireless mouse has lost the plot.
Main symptoms are being sluggish, and needing to double click where normally one click would suffice, e.g. opening the Start menu. Worse, it won't open links on web pages. I have to right click and open in new tab.
It's not the mouse, as I've tried another one which has the same problems. The Touchpad works, until I put the wireless receiver back in, and it's not a permanent solution as I need to use an external keyboard.
I've updated Windows and tried to update the driver but it seems to think it is up to date.
Right now I'm contemplating going back to DOS, and have been forced to order a wired USB mouse.
If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.
J

elephanthunt11
Lemon Pip

Re: Mouse gone mental

Postby elephanthunt11 » December 10th, 2023, 6:42 pm

Are you plugging it in via a usb hub? Mine acts weird when I do that OR insert a usb stick near the mouse receiver - it does not like it at all.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » December 10th, 2023, 6:53 pm

elephanthunt11 wrote:Are you plugging it in via a usb hub? Mine acts weird when I do that OR insert a usb stick near the mouse receiver - it does not like it at all.

No, I've unplugged all other input devices bar the keyboard and it is plugged in directly to the laptop.
But previously I had various things plugged in via a hub without any problems. Nothing has changed since lunchtime today, except for the mouse's weird behaviour.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 10th, 2023, 7:04 pm

Turn off, Turn back on?

Ensure nothing is on the touch pad area.

Change battery?

qwaszx

Postby qwaszx » December 10th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Low battery

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » December 10th, 2023, 7:43 pm

qwaszx wrote:Low battery

It's rechargeable, and the same thing happened when I used another wireless mouse that was working fine on another PC. It's definitely PC software/hardware issues.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 11th, 2023, 12:41 pm

James wrote:...The Touchpad works, until I put the wireless receiver back in, and it's not a permanent solution as I need to use an external keyboard.
I've updated Windows and tried to update the driver but it seems to think it is up to date.
Right now I'm contemplating going back to DOS, and have been forced to order a wired USB mouse.
If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.
J

Have you tried a restart (cold boot)?

I've had issues in the past with W10 wireless networking (wifi and bluetooth) where a restart will reload the drivers and the problem clears. If the OS install is quite old things can corrupt over time. Default boot is fast startup (hibernate) not cold, you can turn fast startup off if that is the issue - with an SSD boot drive it doesn't make that much difference to boot times.

Does an admin command prompt sfc/scannow throw up any errors - look at the CBS log file for details of what it auto fixes.

Does changing USB sockets make any difference?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 11th, 2023, 12:59 pm

Have you tried a different power supply? Glitches like this can sometimes be because the PS is on its way out or there is an internal power issue for the relevant bus.

Rover110
Lemon Pip

Postby Rover110 » December 11th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Do you have an external hard-drive / SSD connected over USB?

I understand USB3 traffic leaks signals that are sufficiently close to the 2.4 GHz used by many mice to cause interference.
I only experienced mouse-problems on my file-server. The machine 4 meters away is fine.
So now I use a wired mouse on the file-server.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 11th, 2023, 3:01 pm

Drivers tend to better these days or maybe it's the way that Windows handles them, nonetheless I'd suggest removing and reinstalling the wireless mouse driver.

RC

gbaps

Postby gbaps » December 11th, 2023, 10:51 pm

Hi,

Similar to other answers I resolved a keyboard and mouse lag and erratic behaviour on a HP laptop with an USB extension cable.
The 2.4GHz issue and interference with onboard SSD seemed to be the problem. I use an extension cable to get the USB keyboard and mouse dongle away from the laptop body and the lag goes away.

Cheers, G.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 12th, 2023, 2:46 pm

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » December 12th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.rshtech.com/blog/how-to-avoid-the-usb30-and-24-ghz-devices-interference-2

I don't think interference is the issue. I've unplugged everything else and tried just the offending device. Moreover, it just happened, without any other equipment being changed. I initially thought it was a memory problem because of two many open windows but a restart solved nothing.
I'm using a wired mouse, which works fine. But if I reattach the wireless one, not only does that have issues, but so too does the wired one until I unplug the wireless and reboot the machine.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 12th, 2023, 4:55 pm

James wrote:I don't think interference is the issue. I've unplugged everything else and tried just the offending device. Moreover, it just happened, without any other equipment being changed. I initially thought it was a memory problem because of two many open windows but a restart solved nothing.
I'm using a wired mouse, which works fine. But if I reattach the wireless one, not only does that have issues, but so too does the wired one until I unplug the wireless and reboot the machine.

Does that not suggest the fault may lie in the mouse USB receiver itself? Something affecting the PC power supply, or some kind of jittering on an interrupt or similar. Nevertheless, have you managed to get and install an updated driver for this device? Or recently had any other device driver updated on your PC?

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » December 12th, 2023, 4:59 pm

XFool wrote:
James wrote:I don't think interference is the issue. I've unplugged everything else and tried just the offending device. Moreover, it just happened, without any other equipment being changed. I initially thought it was a memory problem because of two many open windows but a restart solved nothing.

Does that not suggest the fault may lie in the mouse USB receiver itself? Something affecting the PC power supply, or some kind of jittering on an interrupt or similar. Nevertheless, have you managed to get and install an updated driver for this device? Or recently had any other device driver updated on your PC?

I've tried it with a different wireless mouse with its own receiver, so not the problem.
PC power supply seems same as it ever was, although I wouldn't know how to test this.
The device itself just uses the generic windows mouse driver, which I haven't changed, nor have I added/subtracted anything from the laptop.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 12th, 2023, 5:01 pm

I bought a wireless mouse about 15 years ago. It always felt slow and I had to replace the battery every couple of months or so. Drove me nuts.

Replaced it with a conventional mouse powered via USB and it has had no problem for 15 years. If only all of life's problems were so easily solved.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 12th, 2023, 5:41 pm

James wrote:...I'm using a wired mouse, which works fine. But if I reattach the wireless one, not only does that have issues, but so too does the wired one until I unplug the wireless and reboot the machine.

Does anything show up in Event Viewer or Resource Manager apps when the wired + wireless issues occur?
There's tutorials online showing how to drill down in both if you've never used them before.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 15th, 2023, 10:37 pm

Is it Bluetooth? Or otherwise secure? Maybe someone else using same device nearby, or interference from same.

Friend of mine, a student, bought a wireless mouse and keyboard. He plugged it in and it went haywire. He quickly deduced someone else in his house had the same mouse and keyboard. Opening a text file, he could see everything they typed. Passwords, the lot. He didn’t want the housemate doing the same to him, so he put his back in the box and sent it back to Amazon!

Gryff

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”