Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Drop box

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Drop box

Postby melonfool » December 10th, 2023, 8:37 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me get to the bottom of this?

I have a file in Dropbox I have shared with four family members. It says on the link that they can all edit, but my sister says she cannot edit. Or, rather, she says she "can't work out how to edit".

It's not clear to me why she can't (and I really really need her to - I'm fed up of doing everything so I wanted them to add their own details to this spreadsheet which doesn't seem like a big ask) but as she uses iDevices (and I use MS) could it be because her device won't recognise Excel? And, of so, is there a free something she can download to make it work?

I really don't want four people sending me their input and me having to do it all and keep tabs on it.

thanks!

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Drop box

Postby melonfool » December 10th, 2023, 9:16 pm

Don't worry all - she's done it. Where there's a (literal) will, there's a way, huh?

Mel

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 10th, 2023, 9:33 pm

melonfool wrote:I'm fed up of doing everything so I wanted them to add their own details to this spreadsheet which doesn't seem like a big ask) but as she uses iDevices (and I use MS) could it be because her device won't recognise Excel? And, of so, is there a free something she can download to make it work?

Mel

I know that you have now sorted it, but in future you might want to consider the google stuff.
As I understand it multiple people can edit the same file AT THE SAME TIME.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNN967bemQg

Google sheet's isn't as powerful as Excel, but easily powerful enough for most people.
It also, obviously being browser based, works with any OS that can use a web browser.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 10th, 2023, 10:27 pm

She already told her she didn't know how to use Google sheets. It would definitely be functional enough for this, which is basically a list, ko numbers at all.

I think people can update Dropbox at the same time, certainly works that way with One Drive (which I couldn't get to share at all!).

Thank you!

Mel

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 11th, 2023, 8:37 am

melonfool wrote:She already told her she didn't know how to use Google sheets. It would definitely be functional enough for this, which is basically a list, ko numbers at all.

I think people can update Dropbox at the same time, certainly works that way with One Drive (which I couldn't get to share at all!).

Thank you!

Mel

Well some people can be deliberately difficult can't they. If she has ever typed things into columns or changed things using a word processor, then provided you emailed a link to open the google sheets file she could add or make changes to a list. Well if she was willing to do so that is.

Still you have managed to get her to edit the list so job done.

Re dropbox and file contents changes. I don't know for sure but would expect that there are issues with multiple people working on the same file.

Historically word processors and spreadsheets believed that the current program was the only thing that could make changes. Change a line and save, you just overwrote a different line with your old copy that someone else changed. Office 365 and google sheets both avoid this, but I can't comment upon what your sister is using to edit the list with.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”