Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Home CCTV -Raspberry Pi, or similar ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jaizan
Lemon Slice

Home CCTV -Raspberry Pi, or similar ?

Postby jaizan » December 27th, 2023, 3:59 pm

For several years, I've been using a Raspberry PI based CCTV system.

Motioneye OS
Raspberry Pi + 3 network cameras + 1 PS2 cam connected via USB
Data stored on Pi, plus google drive.
Monthly fees -zero.

This has worked well, but the Motioneye OS is "abandonware", so is not longer updated. Critically, the software no longer meets google requirements, so the uploads to google have failed.

Does anyone have experience of an alternative system, using a Raspberry Pi, or other low powered computer ?
Whatever it is must have the ability to view images remotely.

I'm not planning to buy some new off the shelf system and then paying substantial monthly subscriptions for hosting data.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Home CCTV -Raspberry Pi, or similar ?

Postby GeoffF100 » December 27th, 2023, 6:12 pm

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 27th, 2023, 8:07 pm

jaizan wrote:For several years, I've been using a Raspberry PI based CCTV system.

Motioneye OS
Raspberry Pi + 3 network cameras + 1 PS2 cam connected via USB
Data stored on Pi, plus google drive.
Monthly fees -zero.

This has worked well, but the Motioneye OS is "abandonware", so is not longer updated. Critically, the software no longer meets google requirements, so the uploads to google have failed.

Does anyone have experience of an alternative system, using a Raspberry Pi, or other low powered computer ?
Whatever it is must have the ability to view images remotely.

I'm not planning to buy some new off the shelf system and then paying substantial monthly subscriptions for hosting data.

I use Motioneye on my Pi but not Motioneye OS. I've found it very good for my needs. On my version there is a setting which enables a script to be run whenever motion is detected.

Google suggests that it is possible to mount Google Drive locally on a Pi, so one option might be to set Motioneye to use Google Drive, mounted locally, as a storage location. If Motioneye won't do that then a bash script to copy from a local folder to a mounted GD should work.

However, having had a quick look at methods for mounting Google Drive on a Pi, you would probably want to be fairly confident with your Pi skills. There may be easier ways to make the images available remotely.

RC

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 28th, 2023, 7:12 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:Google suggests that it is possible to mount Google Drive locally on a Pi, so one option might be to set Motioneye to use Google Drive, mounted locally, as a storage location. If Motioneye won't do that then a bash script to copy from a local folder to a mounted GD should work.

However, having had a quick look at methods for mounting Google Drive on a Pi, you would probably want to be fairly confident with your Pi skills. There may be easier ways to make the images available remotely.

RC

I've not used it myself, as I have little need to access home files on my phone (as may be desired with CCTV), however Rclone may be what's wanted to get files to the cloud.
https://rclone.org/

Here is a tutorial I searched for.
https://medium.com/@artur.klauser/mount ... 15193d8138

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”