Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Windows 98SE / XP system

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Windows 98SE / XP system

Postby mc2fool » December 28th, 2023, 4:52 pm

There's at least a couple of folks here who seem to like keeping old systems around, so thought I'd ask here before trying to unscramble the mass of info out on the interweb ... ;)

I've got an old desktop that's been gathering dust for some years that I've decided to finally do something about. It started off as a Windows 98SE analogue video editing box, for editing footage filmed on video Hi8 with final results going onto VHS, using a Pinnacle DV500 capture and effects card and Adobe Premiere 5.

Pretty much everything has been changed over the years, inc. the motherboard & CPU, with the only original things now being the graphics card (a Matrox Millennium G400), the 1.44MB floppy drive and the midi tower case! It also got upgraded to Windows XP Pro, which put paid to the DV500 as the software for that only worked up to Win 2000, but by then my video editing days were a past hobby anyway.

So, the current configuration is a KT3 Ultra2 motherboard hosting a 1.1.GHz Athlon, 1792MB of memory, the G400, the usual other stuff (10/100 Ethernet, DVD writer, audio card, USB 2, etc) -- and two IDE HDDs, one 120GB and the other 160GB. (The DV500 is in the cupboard).

So......what I would like to do, ideally, is configure it to a dual boot Windows 98SE / XP pro system, bunging the DV500 back in for use under 98SE.

The problem, methinks, is the HDDs, both in size and format for 98SE, and I'm getting confused as to what's possible and what's not. It seems like I'll have to have the two OSs on separate disks, with 98SE on one formatted FAT32 and XP on the other formatted NTFS? Or are there other choices?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 98SE / XP system

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 28th, 2023, 6:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:There's at least a couple of folks here who seem to like keeping old systems around, so thought I'd ask here before trying to unscramble the mass of info out on the interweb ... ;)

I've got an old desktop that's been gathering dust for some years that I've decided to finally do something about. It started off as a Windows 98SE analogue video editing box, for editing footage filmed on video Hi8 with final results going onto VHS, using a Pinnacle DV500 capture and effects card and Adobe Premiere 5.

Pretty much everything has been changed over the years, inc. the motherboard & CPU, with the only original things now being the graphics card (a Matrox Millennium G400), the 1.44MB floppy drive and the midi tower case! It also got upgraded to Windows XP Pro, which put paid to the DV500 as the software for that only worked up to Win 2000, but by then my video editing days were a past hobby anyway.

So, the current configuration is a KT3 Ultra2 motherboard hosting a 1.1.GHz Athlon, 1792MB of memory, the G400, the usual other stuff (10/100 Ethernet, DVD writer, audio card, USB 2, etc) -- and two IDE HDDs, one 120GB and the other 160GB. (The DV500 is in the cupboard).

So......what I would like to do, ideally, is configure it to a dual boot Windows 98SE / XP pro system, bunging the DV500 back in for use under 98SE.

The problem, methinks, is the HDDs, both in size and format for 98SE, and I'm getting confused as to what's possible and what's not. It seems like I'll have to have the two OSs on separate disks, with 98SE on one formatted FAT32 and XP on the other formatted NTFS? Or are there other choices?

It sounds as if you no longer have a Win98 OS but only a disk with Win98 software 'It also got upgraded to Windows XP Pro'. If that is the case then you would have to reinstall 98 and all the drivers etc to use it. Finding drivers for a Matrox Millenium wouldn't be easy, unless you still have them. XP should read FAT32 but not the other way round. If the 98 disk still has the OS then dual booting by changing the BIOS boot order might be the simplest option. Making a 98 VM is probably not an option. Would the DV500 work under XP using compatabity mode?

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Windows 98SE / XP system

Postby mc2fool » December 28th, 2023, 7:26 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:It sounds as if you no longer have a Win98 OS but only a disk with Win98 software 'It also got upgraded to Windows XP Pro'. If that is the case then you would have to reinstall 98 and all the drivers etc to use it. Finding drivers for a Matrox Millenium wouldn't be easy, unless you still have them. XP should read FAT32 but not the other way round. If the 98 disk still has the OS then dual booting by changing the BIOS boot order might be the simplest option. Making a 98 VM is probably not an option. Would the DV500 work under XP using compatabity mode?

I do, indeed, no longer have a running Win98 OS, just the installation disk, so would have to reinstall. Drivers for the Matrox isn't a problem though ;) although may be for some of the other devices (IIRC the DVD drive & ethernet card both came after the XP upgrade), I'll have to check. I'd be very surprised if the DV500 works under XP but also Win98-only is Adobe Premiere 5, which has add-ons that let it interface with the DV500.

The 160GB drive (NTFS) has XP on it, the 120GB was an NTFS data drive for the XP system but is now wiped pending whatever I'm going to do with it. I wouldn't mind swapping them round, as videos take a lot more space than anything else ... or maybe having them both as FAT so the 98 system can use space on both ...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”