Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

How to stop android removing app permissions

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Andy46
2 Lemon pips

How to stop android removing app permissions

Postby Andy46 » January 8th, 2024, 3:09 pm

Hi,

Is it a new thing (or something i've selected), that android removes permission for apps that haven't been used for a while on my android phone? I've tried to use apps recently only to encouter problems due to them no having permission to the camera etc and i struggled to find how to switch the permissions back on. Is there a way to stop my phone from removing app permissions please? I have now found how to do it on a per app basis but is there any way to do it for everything in one go?

Thanks

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: How to stop android removing app permissions

Postby Infrasonic » January 8th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Globally no AFAIK - all you can do is allow list each app. individually.

There is method to their madness - a good way to get infected / hacked is to have dormant apps that have all sorts of rights access sitting on your phone and then if those apps get bought out or compromised by malicious actors you then have a serious potential issue. It has happened already multiple times.

Same with desktop browser extensions, if you aren't using them turn them off with an extension manager like extensity.

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » January 8th, 2024, 4:11 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Globally no AFAIK - all you can do is allow list each app. individually.

There is method to their madness - a good way to get infected / hacked is to have dormant apps that have all sorts of rights access sitting on your phone and then if those apps get bought out or compromised by malicious actors you then have a serious potential issue. It has happened already multiple times.

Same with desktop browser extensions, if you aren't using them turn them off with an extension manager like extensity.

Thanks for the prompt response.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 8th, 2024, 5:29 pm

You can nobble this irritating feature app by app https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... s-globally

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 8th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Not all apps have the option but where they do I always select only allow permissions when app is in use rather than a blanket on.

At least that way there's less attack surface to a third party hack, but if the app itself gets compromised then permissions will still be an issue.

As a general rule don't give apps more permissions access than strictly necessary for them to perform their core functions. Contacts, camera, microphone access et al may well be superfluous.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”