Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dropbox issue (Apple Mac)

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Dropbox issue (Apple Mac)

Postby brightncheerful » January 12th, 2024, 11:44 am

Almost everything I know about computers has been gleaned from others helping to undo mistakes and problems I have created, so hopefully some of you can help out now, tia.

I have this week transferred, using Time Machine, all my files and folders from an iMac to Mac Studio. On the iMac (OS: Mojave), I was using Dropbox with its folder in the Finder sidebar. On Mac Studio (OS: Sonoma) Apple doesn't allow Dropbox to appear on the Finder sidebar so it is now in Locations. That's not the issue, however. What I did on the iMac was to allow Dropbox to access the root folder (User) so what has happened as a consequence of the transfer or through my ignorance again is to allow Dropbox to access the root folder (User) with the result that almost all my folders are now in Dropbox.

That's not what I want. What I want is for Dropbox to be confined to one or two folders only.

I have clicked all folders to ensure they and all files within are offline. However, because Time Machine has been backing up regularly, Dropbox has 'trapped'" the folders and their files regardless. So I have also this morning moved the Dropbox folder itself to a slightly higher up the root folder but it is still too low to prevent Dropbox from controlling a load of folders that I don't want it to. Also, in the User folders none will allow me to add a new folder.

My questions are these:

1. If I quit Dropbox entirely, will it remove all the files that are trapped?
2. How can I restore everything to how it should be before I messed up?

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Re: Dropbox issue (Apple Mac)

Postby formoverfunction » January 12th, 2024, 7:05 pm

Even if I you don't have any extended support arrangement with Apple they will often take a support call and talk you through an issue. If it's a 3rd part issue they might not, but as you have an issue relating to permissions at OS level they might.

I would chance it, they aren't difficult to contact and in my experience there's not much of a delay in getting a response. They will call you at home.

I ditched Dropbox a few years and go and I have my system bolted down, so my alternative can't see anything but one folder. I am sure that doesn't help, but it does mean I'm not sure how to unpick the backup now.

It sounds like you have several Apple bits of kit, and again if they think you are a long standing customer or a regular one they seem to take all that into consideration. Tell them about the PoweMac you used to own in the 90's, I do, and that I ran BeOS on my 9600, and that it's still running now!

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » January 13th, 2024, 11:39 am

I use iCloud so I am not a regular Dropbox user. However, I found these articles which might help you.

Here are instructions for choosing exactly which folders you would like Dropbox to sync.
https://help.dropbox.com/sync/sync-choo ... rs-to-sync

This appears to suggest how you can add it back to your Finder side bar
https://www.anysoftwaretools.com/how-to ... inder-mac/

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 15th, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thanks to both

I had already selected the folders I didn't want to sync. What I really want to know is if I unlink it entirely and remove it from my computer, will it take any of my files with it?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”