Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Problems accessing BA site

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
zico
Lemon Quarter

Problems accessing BA site

Postby zico » January 31st, 2024, 11:52 am

I've been trying to check flight details on British Airways website for at least a week now, and when I try "Manage your booking" I'm always getting "Sorry, due to a system error, we are unable to display your booking."

It seems very strange that for a week now, BA customers have been unable to check/change their flights online.
I'm wondering if it's maybe just me that has this problem.

Has anyone else had the same problem with BA? I've tried using the sites below, and also used the link given on my BA Executive Club emails sent by BA.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/h ... lic/en_gb/

https://www.britishairways.com

BigB
Lemon Slice

Re: Problems accessing BA site

Postby BigB » January 31st, 2024, 12:08 pm

zico wrote:I've been trying to check flight details on British Airways website for at least a week now, and when I try "Manage your booking" I'm always getting "Sorry, due to a system error, we are unable to display your booking."

It seems very strange that for a week now, BA customers have been unable to check/change their flights online.

Has anyone else had the same problem with BA? I've tried using the sites below, and also used the link given on my BA Executive Club emails sent by BA.

I've not had that specific issue, however I had a number of issues logging in through Dec/Jan in advance of 2 flights I was scheduled on where I'd made the bookings last year but subsequently my passport had expired and the passport details are fixed in time with the flight booking. I had different experiences with the app where I could still get access to some services, so not consistent between app and website.

10 days ago my wife had erratic experiences logging/checking in, but she had nothing odd about her bookings, so perhaps they are having some issues atm.

Edit: btw, I have just logged in easily and checked a future booking made with now correct passport details.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 31st, 2024, 12:27 pm

zico wrote:I've been trying to check flight details on British Airways website for at least a week now, and when I try "Manage your booking" I'm always getting "Sorry, due to a system error, we are unable to display your booking."

What specific OS/browser combination are you using and do you run things like adblockers which will filter JavaScript / other scripts and possibly affect a commercial website adversely.

Try accessing the page with another browser set up completely vanilla or from another OS like your phone and see if you get similar issues.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » January 31st, 2024, 12:38 pm

I've just checked BA again (whilst in the middle of an extremely long call about flights) and I can now access the system.

I'm finding out during this phone call that the flights I'd booked had gone into limbo (they said they'd completed all the legs of my booking, but they hadn't) so previously when I typed my flight reference code, maybe the BA system decided to say "error in system" rather than "we've mucked up your booking and not completed it".

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » January 31st, 2024, 12:51 pm

zico wrote:I've just checked BA again (whilst in the middle of an extremely long call about flights) and I can now access the system.

I'm finding out during this phone call that the flights I'd booked had gone into limbo (they said they'd completed all the legs of my booking, but they hadn't) so previously when I typed my flight reference code, maybe the BA system decided to say "error in system" rather than "we've mucked up your booking and not completed it".

I flew BA on 22nd Jan and on 21st Jan when I tried to check in their app either wasn't opening or if it eventually did, wasn't finding my booking, which is quite a stress inducing turn of affairs.
I called BA customer service who confirmed they were experiencing technical issues and their best advice was to get to Gatwick an hour earlier, so 03.50 instead of 04.50 :shock:
Later that day while venting about it to a pal he said it had made the news that day that BA's website was FUBAR. Later that evening I was able to check-in.
Maybe there are still some ongoing issues to whatever caused that outage.
I blame the Russians...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 31st, 2024, 12:55 pm

zico wrote:I've just checked BA again (whilst in the middle of an extremely long call about flights) and I can now access the system.

The BA site can be flakey. I usually just try a few hours later and then it is OK. Seems to be worse outside of 9 to 5, maybe when there are fewer IT support staff?

As you have apparently discovered, the phone service can be very slow. Even as a BA Gold member for 4 consecutive years, with a dedicated "priority" phone number, I sometimes wait ages.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 31st, 2024, 1:03 pm

Many online systems fall over when they are under heavy load - unfortunately the powers that be don't necessarily want to pay for the extra capacity to ameliorate such situations.
It's quite possible to pay for dynamic expansion as a PAYG option these days with the CDN's like Cloudflare/Akamai but the IT bods will have to successfully sell the idea to the boardroom who will penny pinch wherever possible...

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » January 31st, 2024, 1:18 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Many online systems fall over when they are under heavy load - unfortunately the powers that be don't necessarily want to pay for the extra capacity to ameliorate such situations.
It's quite possible to pay for dynamic expansion as a PAYG option these days with the CDN's like Cloudflare/Akamai but the IT bods will have to successfully sell the idea to the boardroom who will penny pinch wherever possible...

It's really frustrating that companies move over to online systems to save money on staff, but then are reluctant to spend to maintain online systems.
As customers, the only real option we have is to vote with our cyberfeet and change companies in response to poor service.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”