Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

app s on start up

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

app s on start up

Postby mutantpoodle » February 14th, 2024, 8:56 am

my new laptop has started to take a little longer to get started
the old one took 2-3 minutes,,,so am thrilled with replacement taking 5 seconds

but on startup should I have windows defender 'on' or 'off' ??....it is my virus thingy and I run it about once a fortnight

also I never use EDGE so switched that off

any probs to be expeted??

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: app s on start up

Postby mc2fool » February 14th, 2024, 10:20 am

You're worried 'cos your new laptop has started to take a little longer to get started and now takes 5 seconds to do so? :o How long did it take before, 3 seconds?

I wonder what you mean exactly by "get started". Do you mean from a reboot after having done a Power->Shut down? Or after a Power->Restart? Or just coming out of sleep/hibernate, i.e. reopening the lid to carry on from where you were before?

If the first two then, even with fast CPUs and SSDs, 5 seconds is still pretty darn good! Also, by started do you mean until the desktop and taskbar appear, or until it's done everything it does during startup and settles down to idle?

In any case, if it's your only anti virus defence then Windows Defender should be running constantly. A scan every two weeks will catch infected files you've already acquired but having it run constantly will catch them as you acquire them, (hopefully) before they get to do any damage, and will also catch non-file based viruses such as memory infections, etc. Defender is pretty unobtrusive most of the time so you should hardly notice it.

In regards to Edge, I don't use it either, at least not voluntarily, but I'm not sure what might happen if I were to disable it from startup as it does pop up occasionally as Windows will use it (despite Firefox being my default browser) for things like searches from the Start button etc.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » February 14th, 2024, 11:47 am

mutantpoodle wrote:my new laptop has started to take a little longer to get started
the old one took 2-3 minutes,,,so am thrilled with replacement taking 5 seconds

but on startup should I have windows defender 'on' or 'off' ??....it is my virus thingy and I run it about once a fortnight

also I never use EDGE so switched that off

any probs to be expeted??

You might want to download and run "Shut up 10++" if you want to take more control over your PC privacy away from Microsoft.
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

torata

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » February 17th, 2024, 6:33 pm

mc2fool wrote:You're worried 'cos your new laptop has started to take a little longer to get started and now takes 5 seconds to do so? :o How long did it take before, 3 seconds?

I wonder what you mean exactly by "get started". Do you mean from a reboot after having done a Power->Shut down? Or after a Power->Restart? Or just coming out of sleep/hibernate, i.e. reopening the lid to carry on from where you were before?

If the first two then, even with fast CPUs and SSDs, 5 seconds is still pretty darn good! Also, by started do you mean until the desktop and taskbar appear, or until it's done everything it does during startup and settles down to idle?

In any case, if it's your only anti virus defence then Windows Defender should be running constantly. A scan every two weeks will catch infected files you've already acquired but having it run constantly will catch them as you acquire them, (hopefully) before they get to do any damage, and will also catch non-file based viruses such as memory infections, etc. Defender is pretty unobtrusive most of the time so you should hardly notice it.

In regards to Edge, I don't use it either, at least not voluntarily, but I'm not sure what might happen if I were to disable it from startup as it does pop up occasionally as Windows will use it (despite Firefox being my default browser) for things like searches from the Start button etc.

Haven't used Windows for years, but that sounds like the difference between resuming from hibernation versus a cold boot difference.

My Linux system cold boot is < 1 second, excluding the 5 or so seconds it takes for BIOS to be done (Acer splash screen). Resuming from sleep/hibernation is around 3 seconds before everything powers back up again. That's on a pretty old laptop with physical HDD (no SSD). As I recall Windows did take minutes to boot from cold, but was much quicker with resume from hibernation. but that's going back to XP days.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » February 18th, 2024, 8:20 am

my timings were based on switch on from being switched off
and times until desktop with icons..........so ready to do something

i dont know about hibernations and sleeps

its on...until i switch it off

when laptop was new it took couple seconds...its now slower.....but minutes faster than the previous older laptop

I not complaining about 5 seconds. was just wondering about what and why some stuff is on when not known about

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”