Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Chrome link with Topcashback

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Chrome link with Topcashback

Postby forgotusername » February 23rd, 2024, 3:49 pm

I have an Apple Mac running Safari. I used to use Topcashback on it but Apple introduced some changes in the pursuit of privacy that prevented the link between Topcashback and the retailer from working. I found a workaround by installing Chrome which provided a working linkage. Recently I had to re install Chrome and now the linkage is broken so I don't get cash back at all when I shop as I did before. I only use Chrome for this purpose so either need to discover and remedy what is causing the problem or install a different browser that will work.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Niksen
Lemon Pip

Re: Chrome link with Topcashback

Postby Niksen » February 24th, 2024, 8:33 am

forgotusername wrote:I have an Apple Mac running Safari. I used to use Topcashback on it but Apple introduced some changes in the pursuit of privacy that prevented the link between Topcashback and the retailer from working.

That change was the introduction of Private Relay - https://support.apple.com/en-us/102602 and to quote Apple -

“iCloud Private Relay is designed to protect your privacy by ensuring that when you browse the web in Safari, no single party — not even Apple — can see both who you are and what sites you're visiting.”

forgotusername wrote:I found a workaround by installing Chrome which allowed a provided linkage.

Private Relay only operates with Safari, which is why using Chrome worked on your Mac to allow the tracking between TopCashback, the retailer, and you.

Private Relay can be turned off if you want to - for example I do have it turned off because I run a PiHole and with it turned on the DNS is routed via Private Relay not the PiHole.

forgotusername wrote:Recently I had to re install Chrome and now the linkage is broken so I don't get cash back at all when I shop as I did before.

Do you have any adblockers or anything similar installed in Chrome, as they could all cause an issue. Additionally the privacy settings in Chrome need to be set to allow you to be tracked - https://www.topcashback.co.uk/help/how- ... t-browser/

You could try another browser such as Edge or Firefox to see if it made any difference.

Also is there anything else on your network such as a PiHole that is blocking the tracking.

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » February 24th, 2024, 9:30 am

Many thanks for your help Niksen. I don't have any adblockers on my Mac. I run Avast anti virus but afaik it doesn't block ads. If I read your reply correctly, I should be able to use Topcashback in Safari by turning off Private Relay for that web site or just when I use it which is infrequent. I searched for how to do this and found advice from Apple support that says:

"Mac: in Safari, choose View > Reload and Show IP Address." I tried this but I get a slightly different menu which says "Reload page" but not "show IP Address"

In Chrome my security settings are all the default ones and I have no adblockers there either. I used your link to see what the privacy settings are but mine do not show a "content" sub menu so I can't "allow local data to be set" as the help screen suggests.

I would be happy to uninstall Chrome if I could get Safari to work with Topcashback so would appreciate any further advice you can give. I'm running the latest version of the IOS 17.2.1 if that helps.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 24th, 2024, 11:42 am

There's a general move across all OS' and browsers to cut down on the amount of cross site scripting / 3rd party cookies etc to reduce privacy and security issues of unauthorised third parties. This Topcashback issue is probably a victim of that drive to limit access.

I'd have a search on any TCB user forums to see if anyone has found a working solution or if there are extension updates planned to fix the issue.

The problem going forward is that Apple/Google et al are only going to increase the throttling of these type of things so it may end up working for a bit, then an OS/browser update breaks it again - repeat ad nauseum.

There are other Chromium browsers that are not implementing all these privacy/security updates by Google in such a restrictive way, so ultimately that might be the best route - e.g Brave.

Niksen
Lemon Pip

Postby Niksen » February 24th, 2024, 1:01 pm

forgotusername wrote:If I read your reply correctly, I should be able to use Topcashback in Safari by turning off Private Relay for that web site or just when I use it which is infrequent. I searched for how to do this and found advice from Apple support that says:

"Mac: in Safari, choose View > Reload and Show IP Address." I tried this but I get a slightly different menu which says "Reload page" but not "show IP Address"

On a Mac, to turn off Private Relay it is -

- The Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, then
- System Settings, then
- Apple ID, then
- iCloud, then
- Private Relay, which you set to 'off'

That assumes you have an iCloud+ subscription. If you don't then you don't have Private Relay so nothing to turn off.

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » February 24th, 2024, 3:22 pm

Oh thanks again Niksen. I do have an iCloud account which I only use for a few items of important data (not large quantities) and things like find my phone It's not iCloud+ so it appears Private Relay is not applicable as it lists that a feature of iCloud+. I know Apple prevents use of the TopCashback extension that reminds you if the retailer gives cash back but maybe it doesn't prevent cash back itself. I'll have to try that and see what happens.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”