Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Printer (Laser or Inkjet), external screen and laptop

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Printer (Laser or Inkjet), external screen and laptop

Postby Clariman » November 13th, 2016, 11:30 am

Perhaps too many questions for one post, but I'll give it a try. I'm going to refresh the kit that I have in my home office. I'm semi-retiring but am likely to do some consultancy work - if this website doesn't take up all my time ;) . Either way, I want a comfortable and professional setup but not high-powered.

External screen - I will be handing back my employer's 24" external screen. As middle-aged eyesight is declining (oh for the days when I didn't need glasses at all!), I definitely want a decent screen. The 24" has certainly done the job. Any tips on choosing a replacement e.g. good makes, ideal sizes etc. appreciated.

Printer - I will be handing back my work HP LaserJet copier/printer/fax. Although quite old now it has very good quality print and is much faster and more problem-free than my 10 year old HP InkJet. I popped into Currys/PCWorld yesterday and could not see a single Laser printer. Why is that? Have Inkjets caught up with Laser or do PC World just make too much money from InkJet cartidges?

Laptop - I def want a lightweight one, but with a reasonable sized screen (15.4"?). Something that is quite smart but not flash. I don't do any gaming or multimedia stuff on it. Mostly Internet and usual office like functions. I have a Toshiba docking station, so maybe I might lean towards them but not for certain.

Thanks
C

rgifford

Re: Printer (Laser or Inkjet), external screen and laptop

Postby rgifford » November 13th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Clariman wrote:Printer - I will be handing back my work HP LaserJet copier/printer/fax. Although quite old now it has very good quality print and is much faster and more problem-free than my 10 year old HP InkJet. I popped into Currys/PCWorld yesterday and could not see a single Laser printer. Why is that? Have Inkjets caught up with Laser or do PC World just make too much money from InkJet cartidges?

I recently replaced my old Dell 1320C laser that I got 'free' from IJT Direct (http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/) with a newer Dell laser from the same place. Not actually free of course as I had to buy three sets of toner cartridges but they will keep me going for a while and the overall cost was reasonable.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » November 13th, 2016, 3:07 pm

I'll second a Dell colour laser.

I bought a 1250C, well actually it was so cheap I bought two!

eBuyer do one, Dell C1760N- £110

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... BB0GCZZHKQ

rgifford

Postby rgifford » November 13th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Stonge wrote:eBuyer do one, Dell C1760N- £110

The IJT version with 3 sets of toners (plus the Dell starter ones) is £248.39 including delivery. i.e. effectively £138 for three sets of toners

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1760nw

pottager

Postby pottager » November 13th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Clariman wrote:I popped into Currys/PCWorld yesterday and could not see a single Laser printer. Why is that? Have Inkjets caught up with Laser or do PC World just make too much money from InkJet cartidges?

That is scary, no wonder so many people get sucked into buying inkjets. PC World have them on their website though - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laser-pri ... teria.html
Lasers are better for everything except glossy photos. I also highly recommend Dell colour laser printers.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 13th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Another very strong endorsement for Dell colour laser printers. I've used them exclusively for the past 3 or 4 years, and they've been consistently excellent. I use non-original cartridges, which are cheap and last a long while, and touch wood I've never had any problems with them.

The printer I'm currently using is the 1765nfw, which includes a decent scanner and fax (which is still occasionally useful). The print quality in both colour and black and white is extremely good.

And no, I'm not on commission!

felixcanis
Lemon Pip

Postby felixcanis » November 13th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Another rec for Dell - we have a 1250C - which I use for the business of a local Community Council and a Development Trust as I am the scretary for both - so mostly minutes, agendas. letters and the odd poster in glorious technicolour.

Has been reliable and not expensive to run - buy 3rd party toners from Amazon.

Previously had an Epsom inkjet that got clogged and wasn't improved by Mr FC's attempts at changing the ink after a 'serious' Sunday lunch... Also had a Laserjet - that was Ok - not colour, but eventually gave up when the rollers got a bit sticky and we tried to fix then - think we may be back to Mr FC & his serious lunches again.

FelixC

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 13th, 2016, 9:52 pm

It's like Panasonic breadmakers all over again...

I too switched to a Dell colour laser - I bought it at a great price, and the replacement cartridges are as cheap as anything. Not quite such good quality as my other colour laser, but at the price, outstanding.

With laser printers, it's always the cost of refill toners that a person should look at, before choosing which model/make to buy.

rgifford

Postby rgifford » November 13th, 2016, 10:00 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:It's like Panasonic breadmakers all over again...

I think it is better to go for the one with the automatic raisin feeder. I know that they can be added manually based on a timer but life is too short :lol:

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 13th, 2016, 10:25 pm

I think you lot are a bunch of street traders - a bunch of Dell boys. Luvvly jubbly!

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » November 14th, 2016, 2:11 am

I too switched to a Dell colour laser -

As did many on TMF HWTBC, especially when the 1250C was just £55.98 at the time.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 14th, 2016, 10:51 am

Dell boy here. Don't be such a plonker Rodney. It ain't nuffin' like Panasonic. I mean - Panasonic are still selling the bloomin' things. Dell no longer sell bloody printers! I've just been chatting with them down the ol' Pie-and-Printer in Internet-land. Online chat I mean. Just told me to look elsewhere. Raquel will you go an' make us a cup o' tea. There's a good girl. Actually I'll be back in 10 minutes, I might be able to pick one of them things up at Woolworths.

OK, so what is the SECOND best printer after the non-existent Dell ones! :)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 14th, 2016, 11:01 am

Clariman wrote:OK, so what is the SECOND best printer after the non-existent Dell ones! :)

I would suggest whoever makes/made the aforementioned printers for Dell, as they are badged. Probably Samsung or Canon.

All the best, Si

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 14th, 2016, 11:25 am

[quote="Clariman" OK, so what is the SECOND best printer after the non-existent Dell ones! :)[/quote]

I'll let you know when the Dell dies, probably in a few years.

In the meantime, try searching here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... _PrefLoc=1

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 14th, 2016, 11:47 am

As well as my ebay link, earlier someone linked to ebuyer, who have a reasonably priced dell colour laser printer, so you already have a good source,as well as my Ebay links.

Work backwards though - find a printer, then check toner prices on Ebay, and use that to help your decision about that particular printer model.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 14th, 2016, 4:00 pm

There's a fair bit of consolidation going on in printer manufacturer world these days.

Samsung have just sold their printer business to HP, which means if you are in the HP blockade camp because of their authorised toner only shenanigans (which they backtracked on), then It's one less brand to consider.

Reading between the lines the margins must be pretty thin, hence the consumables profit angle and companies like Dell dropping out.
The problem is most of the decent reviews include Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) as one of their main metrics, which makes sneaking all the profit into the inks and toners more difficult...

EMF at work.

I'll be keeping my old HP Laserjet 6L going until it finally packs up I think, I just don't do enough printing to justify anything newer.

pottager

Postby pottager » November 14th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Infrasonic wrote:I'll be keeping my old HP Laserjet 6L going until it finally packs up I think, I just don't do enough printing to justify anything newer.

I've still got a 4L as a backup printer but I think it needs a new toner cartridge :(

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 14th, 2016, 8:23 pm

pottager wrote:I've still got a 4L as a backup printer but I think it needs a new toner cartridge :(

Another advantage of the old HP printers, any old third party generic toner cartridge should work, no chip readers...In fact if you shop around the eBay re-sellers you might even get an OEM HP cartridge cheaper than a generic, seen them as low as a tenner.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » November 15th, 2016, 2:20 am

Clariman wrote:OK, so what is the SECOND best printer after the non-existent Dell ones! :)

Dell USA still list them. Perhaps it's due to the exchange rate.

UK source:-

£89.99 inc. vat and delivery:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/433141-dell-c1760 ... -210-41094

and 6% cashback:-

http://www.quidco.com/ebuyer/

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » November 15th, 2016, 6:20 am

Clariman wrote:
Laptop - I def want a lightweight one, but with a reasonable sized screen (15.4"?). Something that is quite smart but not flash. I don't do any gaming or multimedia stuff on it. Mostly Internet and usual office like functions. I have a Toshiba docking station, so maybe I might lean towards them but not for certain.

C

I am on the lookout for a similar machine although my budget of less than £250 might be a little low for you especially the lightweight bit.

Because of my budget I have started to look at refurbished machines but I am waiting to see if I have any chance of getting a good deal on Black Friday. I see a Dell with an i3 processor might come up for £199 reduced from £379!

I have decided against a Celeron processor, and want minimum 4gb ram. I have also narrowed it down to Dell and Lenovo. A new Toshiba would be out of my price range!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”