Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Replacement router?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Replacement router?

Postby Clitheroekid » November 22nd, 2016, 8:15 pm

For the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing fairly regular, but short duration - from a few seconds to a couple of minutes - interruptions in my internet connection. It's very irritating.

The broadband provider has done various tests but found nothing amiss, and has suggested that my router may be worn out. They've offered to supply a new one for about £50.

So two questions. First, is their explanation feasible? I'd vaguely assumed that because a router doesn't have any moving parts it would just last indefinitely.

And secondly, is there any advantage in sourcing my own router rather than just taking the one they have offered - I know absolutely nothing about routers and assume they're all much the same, but are some better than others, and if so which one should I go for?

If it's relevant I'm using Windows 7 and my default browser is Chrome.

TIA for any replies.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Replacement router?

Postby Alaric » November 22nd, 2016, 8:28 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:And secondly, is there any advantage in sourcing my own router rather than just taking the one they have offered - I know absolutely nothing about routers and assume they're all much the same, but are some better than others, and if so which one should I go for?

You may find that the router and broadband line have become incompatible. Using an Orange broadband connection, we weren't getting the advertised speed until we replaced our own sourced router with Orange's free offer.

Hardware can behave strangely as it ages, as sometimes can software. So worn out old router has some degree of plausibility, although it's quite possible it is something they've upgraded which is causing the problems.

Perhaps a bit of Google searching is in order, router + broadband provider to see if yours is a known problem.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 22nd, 2016, 8:30 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:If it's relevant I'm using Windows 7 and my default browser is Chrome.

More relevant would be the make and model of your router. Then we'd be in a position to judge if it was a known unreliable one. Some ISPs provide much better ones than others do.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 22nd, 2016, 8:32 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:For the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing fairly regular, but short duration - from a few seconds to a couple of minutes - interruptions in my internet connection. It's very irritating.

The broadband provider has done various tests but found nothing amiss, and has suggested that my router may be worn out. They've offered to supply a new one for about £50.

Do you have a separate router and modem? That intermittent failure problem has, on two occasions for me now, been a modem problem and not a router problem. My router either works or it doesn't, as you suggest, and the blinking lights often inform of its status. But modems seem more susceptible to the type of on-again, off-again problem that is typically much more difficult to diagnose.

One idea is to take an ethernet cable and plug your computer directly into the router and see if it works. If not, disconnect the cable from the modem to the router and plug your computer directly into the modem. That can help isolate the issue.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 22nd, 2016, 8:51 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
For the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing fairly regular, but short duration - from a few seconds to a couple of minutes - interruptions in my internet connection. It's very irritating.

So two questions. First, is their explanation feasible? I'd vaguely assumed that because a router doesn't have any moving parts it would just last indefinitely.

And secondly, is there any advantage in sourcing my own router rather than just taking the one they have offered - I know absolutely nothing about routers and assume they're all much the same, but are some better than others, and if so which one should I go for?

I think we'd need to establish a few things first before you'll be able to get any meaningful answers.

When you say 'regular interruptions' to your internet connection, is that on a device that's hard-wired into your home network or router, or is it connecting wirelessly? Diagnosing connections issues will be different for each type of connection really, so we could do with knowing that firstly.

Secondly, there should be a little light on the router, amongst several usually, that highlights that the router has got a broadband, or DSL/ADSL connection. Is there any difference at all between the lights seen on your router when your connection is 100% working, and the light-configuration on the router when you're experiencing the connection-issues you're describing?

If you are connecting wirelessly and experiencing intermittent connection issues, then before rushing out and buying a new router, there's lots of things to try with regards to your router wireless configuration to try to help get rid of your issue. Firstly would be to change the wireless channel that the router is operating on. If you've been happily connecting via wireless and have suddenly found that you're having issues, then quite often it's because of interfering devices trying to hog the same wireless channel that you're currently using.

A neighbour might be using some shiny new hardware that's sitting on the same channel, perhaps. You should be able to enter your router settings pages and change the default wireless channel that it's operating with. Often moving channel by 2 full channel-numbers is enough to get you into a clearer bandwidth area, so try moving it up or down two channels and see if that helps.

As someone earlier has said, knowing the make and model of your router will help a great deal with this sort of diagnosis, so have a read of the above and let us know some more details including the router info itself, but don't go rushing out to buy anything just yet, as you may find out that the problem is elsewhere.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 22nd, 2016, 9:10 pm

Thanks for the responses.

According to the label it's a "Netgear wireless ADSL2 and modem router DGN200v3". This will presumably mean more to you than it does to me.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 22nd, 2016, 9:45 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
According to the label it's a "Netgear wireless ADSL2 and modem router DGN200v3".

Netgear is the manufacturer and DGN200v3 the model number.

As is usual these days, it combines in one box the functions of a modem to talk to the outside world via cable or telephone line, with that of a router, that talks to all the wireless and wired devices in your household.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product ... ar_organic

If it's ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+, that may mean it's obsolete.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/secti ... l.html#216

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » November 22nd, 2016, 9:51 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:For the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing fairly regular, but short duration - from a few seconds to a couple of minutes - interruptions in my internet connection. It's very irritating.

Pop over to the Thinkbroadband forum for your provider to check if others are having similar issues with their connection.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/

There is also a quality monitor:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools.html

Broadband Quality / Ping Monitor
Our continuous quality monitoring allows you to monitor the latency of your broadband service. We take a measurement once a second, every second, and provide graphs you can share with your service provider

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » November 23rd, 2016, 1:44 am

It is quite possible any any electrical equipment to 'wear out' (e.g. components can fail intermittently due to heat), so that option is not to be ruled out.

In my experience, whenever I have had intermittent connection faults, and the ISP can't pinpoint the problem, they always blame the user's equipment. I'm one of those people who tends to have spare kit lying around, so I have been able to use spare modems and cables to prove that my kit is not at fault, which results in the ISP making the effort to track down the real cause of the problem.

Understandably, most people don't have spare routers lying around. In the event that you can't borrow one, perhaps you could buy one from a supplier that is happy to provide no-questions refunds (maybe Argos?). If you just need a basic, budget modem, then if it solves the problem, just keep it, and be happy that you have a stable Internet connection again. If it doesn't solve the problem, then you can advise the ISP that it is not your modem.

Unfortunately, if you are unlucky, tracking down Internet connection problems can be tricky. It could be a setting on the computer, a faulty network card, a dodgy cable (or two if you are really unlucky), a failing power-supply (e.g. the one that powers the modem), a poorly connected telecoms wall-socket, a fault in the cabling between your property and the street-cabinet, or something somewhere else!

In most cases, it's just one piece of equipment or a cable that's faulty, and that's easy to resolve. Last year, I was having problems, and it turned out to be poor cabling in my house and an intermittent fault in the street-cabinet (which only occurred when it rained heavily). Because I rely on Internet for my income, I paid to have all the cabling stripped from my house, and started from scratch. This enabled me to demonstrate that there was an external fault, and it was ultimately resolved. I was quite happy to pay $400 for the re-cabling, because it restored my sanity and I more than doubled my Internet speed!

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 23rd, 2016, 7:44 am

I have had problems over a long period in the past with my internet connection and it tends to be a process of elimination. First thing that the engineers usually check at your house is that all your phones have filters fitted and maybe replace them. They are not expensive and you could do this. In my experience domestic routers don't last for ever so their offer of a new one for £50 doesn't sound bad and would eliminate the router. As it's the ISP supplied one then it helps when on the phone to their help department as they will know the router and be able to guide you through some checks. Finally it may be possible to eliminate the house wiring by temporarily connecting the router directly to the incoming socket with a long cable. When you have worked through all this and the fault is still there then it must be down to the outside cabling and equipment and you are in a position to be firm with your supplier, say what you have done and ask them to check their equipment.
My problems turned out to be an old overheating router (make sure yours has sufficient air circulation) and an intermittent overhead line connection at windy times.

Good luck.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 23rd, 2016, 8:51 am

My ISP is ZEN , they supplied a thomson router seven years ago .

after some trouble recently , and the usual investigations , i bought the latest thomson router - about £30 - and had no problems since.

so it seems routers dont last forever ( unlike my panasonic tv and breadmaker, bosch washing machine, not to mention our belling compact top level cooker of 50 years).

:D

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 23rd, 2016, 11:19 am

Many thanks for all the helpful replies - indistinguishable now from TMF!

I've spoken to the broadband supplier again, and they've agreed that they will send the new router on the basis that I will only pay for it if it completely cures the problem, which I think is fair enough.

Fingers crossed.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 23rd, 2016, 1:42 pm

The vast majority of routers are commodity products, built as cheaply as possible.

Heat is definitely an issue, I've had a couple die on me that used to run very hot.
Not proof of failure but if you have a look inside most routers there is very little in the way of heat sinks or other cooling.

However you can buy tiny heat sinks very cheaply (pennies) from Amazon et al that will fit the CPU's of routers, literally a five minute job to fit them using a sticky thermal pad cut to size.
The little aluminium ones are OK, but if you can find proper copper ones then so much the better as they are more thermally efficient (but more expensive).
Beware of copper coloured aluminium though...

Plenty of YouTube videos and articles out there comparing the various permutations for effectiveness.

The other option would be to have a small fan (swan neck USB type) blow across the router.
Last edited by Infrasonic on November 23rd, 2016, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » November 23rd, 2016, 1:44 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I've spoken to the broadband supplier again, and they've agreed that they will send the new router on the basis that I will only pay for it if it completely cures the problem, which I think is fair enough.

That seems very fair, and the decent thing for them to do. I hope it resolves the problem for you.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 23rd, 2016, 1:59 pm

superFoolish wrote:Understandably, most people don't have spare routers lying around. In the event that you can't borrow one, perhaps you could buy one from a supplier that is happy to provide no-questions refunds (maybe Argos?).

We have two spares lying around (we had three but threw away the one with the bent aerial that the dog chewed).

ClitheroeKid, if you would like one of them drop me a PM, we've been meaning to get rid of them for some time but they're not easy things to pass on. One is a reasonably good one (I will find the model number and post when I get home - they are both Netgear) and one is only a couple of years old.

We can't use our own any longer, our broadband comes with its own which is unique in some way.

On the question of whether you 'should' use your own - I always have, despite the extra cost, because I have felt that I have had a better router and also it enables me to be agnostic about the provider, I don't feel tied in by some misplaced loyalty of having their 'free' router.

Mel

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 23rd, 2016, 2:41 pm

melonfool wrote:
superFoolish wrote:ClitheroeKid, if you would like one of them drop me a PM, we've been meaning to get rid of them for some time but they're not easy things to pass on. l

Mel that's an extremely kind offer, and much appreciated. However, I've now received confirmation that my router has been despatched - "en route" so to speak - so I've sadly missed the boat.

But many thanks once again - the spirit of TMF is alive and kicking! :D

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 23rd, 2016, 4:18 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Heat is definitely an issue, I've had a couple die on me that used to run very hot.
Not proof of failure but if you have a look inside most routers there is very little in the way of heat sinks or other cooling.

I use an Apple router which has a fan built in. It kicks in at a certain temperature, which is sensible. The noise it makes is a little irritating but it's better than the device overheating. It's three years of solid operation at this point without a hitch.

I prefer a separate modem and router which also helps things keep cool, I believe.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 23rd, 2016, 5:47 pm

Lootman wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Heat is definitely an issue, I've had a couple die on me that used to run very hot.

I use an Apple router which has a fan built in. It kicks in at a certain temperature, which is sensible. The noise it makes is a little irritating but it's better than the device overheating. It's three years of solid operation at this point without a hitch.

I prefer a separate modem and router which also helps things keep cool, I believe.

Weirdly just yesterday...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-ivs0ssec
Apple Inc. has disbanded its division that develops wireless routers, another move to try to sharpen the company’s focus on consumer products that generate the bulk of its revenue, according to people familiar with the matter.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » November 24th, 2016, 2:24 am

melonfool wrote:We have two spares lying around (we had three but threw away the one with the bent aerial that the dog chewed).l

..which just goes to prove that you aren't "most people" (in a good way, of course)!

meldrewlives
Lemon Pip

Postby meldrewlives » November 24th, 2016, 9:02 am

FWIW a key issue for me last time I chose a replacement router [when migrating from ADSL to VDSL] was the ability to interrogate and graph the line stats with something like DSLStats. More than once such data was invaluable in resolving issues with my ISP and Openreach.

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/

Some ISPs and router manufacturers actively discourage such capability by locking down the device. I had this problem with a Belkin ADSL modem/router. But even then, once you can see the HTML code behind the router management pages using the developer tools in your browser, there are other tools [from memory DMT is one] that wil enable you to capure and present data.

Another useful source of info on this and related topics is:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/dslstats.htm

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”