Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Dog-proofing a Beech Hedge

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Dog-proofing a Beech Hedge

Postby neversay » July 3rd, 2020, 9:57 pm

Can anyone suggest the most unobtrusive way to dog-proof about 20 metres of beech hedge?

Thanks.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Dog-proofing a Beech Hedge

Postby bionichamster » July 3rd, 2020, 10:52 pm

Might depend on the size hedge and extent of the holes and soil type.... and the size of the dog!

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 3rd, 2020, 11:08 pm

bionichamster wrote:Might depend on the size hedge and extent of the holes and soil type.... and the size of the dog!

Quite. It's for a collie pup, a 6'6" hedge and reasonably large holes at the lower levels. It's not to leave it unattended but for containment while training.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 3rd, 2020, 11:08 pm

Chicken wire?

TJH

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » July 3rd, 2020, 11:13 pm

Or something like this which could be removed once collie is trained? Not unobtrusive I know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuzet-Windbrea ... 07BRX069HA

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 3rd, 2020, 11:26 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Chicken wire?

TJH

That was my first thought but I wanted to check it would pass the dog owner test. :)

oldapple wrote:Or something like this which could be removed once collie is trained? Not unobtrusive I know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuzet-Windbrea ... 07BRX069HA

Thanks. I wonder if this green chicken wire has the best combination of strength and blending in:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016WVUTY2/ ... .EbEDD12EB

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » July 3rd, 2020, 11:34 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Chicken wire?TJH

Agree but stronger mesh and not the nylon stuff.

2x 10m rolls of this for example (other suppliers available)

https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/welded-w ... satr0ktca6

If you have foxes around, they will probably dig a route underneath.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 3rd, 2020, 11:50 pm

supremetwo wrote:

That looks strong. Two quick questions if I may:

Can it be positioned close enough to blend with the hedge?

Is this a DIY job or is it the sort where the professionals would do a better job in a matter of minutes and at a reasonable price?

Thanks for all your kind replies.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 4th, 2020, 12:06 am

I've had my eye on that CrazyGadget chicken wire to cover my lawn when badger digging season returns. They go through plastic.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » July 4th, 2020, 12:09 am

supremetwo wrote:

I’ll second the use of weld mesh and a few fence posts. I bought pretty much exactly the stuff above to stop our collie pup playing with the gravel stones on the path ( he took to playing with them in his mouth whenever the chance arose and it was either put a barrier in or risk him swallowing and an expensive trip to the vets). I left it in place for a couple of years then pulled the staples out the fence posts and rolled it back up almost good as new, have used it for various other projects since.
Knock a few 75x75 fence posts in at approx 2m spacing and attach using ‘u’ fencing staples.

hammer in staplesjust enough to retain but not damage the mesh ( you need some purchase to lever them out eventually and it will leave the mesh in better condition ) just the first and last post that may need a bit of strain On the wire and hammered hard.
You may be as well to dig a shallow slot in the ground if poss a few inches deep to recess it in,or recess a bit of wood to which you can loosely attach the mesh.

I bough my mesh roll on amazon for about 30 odd quid for 20 or 25m I think, already had the 1.5m posts and a bag of staples
Far better than a’chickenwire’ job.

Good luck with the collie pup, ours was a right handful As a pup but is now the most fantastic dog.

Bh

While you’re at it why not buy some young beech hedging and patch up the gaps before putting the fence up?

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 4th, 2020, 12:23 am

bionichamster wrote:
I’ll second the use of weld mesh and a few fence posts. I bought pretty much exactly the stuff above to stop our collie pup playing with the gravel stones on the path ( he took to playing with them in his mouth whenever the chance arose and it was either put a barrier in or risk him swallowing and an expensive trip to the vets). I left it in place for a couple of years then pulled the staples out the fence posts and rolled it back up almost good as new, have used it for various other projects since.
Knock a few 75x75 fence posts in at approx 2m spacing and attach using ‘u’ fencing staples.

hammer in staplesjust enough to retain but not damage the mesh ( you need some purchase to lever them out eventually and it will leave the mesh in better condition ) just the first and last post that may need a bit of strain On the wire and hammered hard.
You may be as well to dig a shallow slot in the ground if poss a few inches deep to recess it in,or recess a bit of wood to which you can loosely attach the mesh.

I bough my mesh roll on amazon for about 30 odd quid for 20 or 25m I think, already had the 1.5m posts and a bag of staples
Far better than a’chickenwire’ job.

Good luck with the collie pup, ours was a right handful As a pup but is now the most fantastic dog.

Bh

While you’re at it why not buy some young beech hedging and patch up the gaps before putting the fence up?

That's super advice - thank you. I could do with your expertise as I know we are in for a challenging time on the training front!

I will have a look at the gaps and see if planting more would work. It's mostly thick at higher levels but easy for a dog to crawl under at the base.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » July 4th, 2020, 9:06 am

Why not install the material within the hedge itself? You might have to make room to fix the material but eventually the hedge will grow into the wire and be totally unobtrusive.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » July 4th, 2020, 10:57 am

A collie can escape through anything if it has a mind to, on coming home ours cheerfully leapt a 5 bar gate without touching but respected the garden limits as his patch and never left.
A border collie can be over an 8 ft wall as nothing more than a slight inconvenience once you are over those first frenzied few weeks it does all settle down.
They are a wonderful dog and worth the trouble
Good luck. :D

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 4th, 2020, 12:49 pm

I'd be cautious about embedding wire into a hedge permanently. You could come to regret it when cutting it back later. If you were keen you could try laying the beech hedge, though its more a winter task.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » July 5th, 2020, 4:16 pm

neversay wrote:
That's super advice - thank you. I could do with your expertise as I know we are in for a challenging time on the training front!

I will have a look at the gaps and see if planting more would work. It's mostly thick at higher levels but easy for a dog to crawl under at the base.

I'm afraid it's Mrs BH who's the trainer; although I do have a degree that included the study of animal behaviour but I tend to leave it to her as she was a professional dog behaviourist, now retired. Funny thing is she always used to curse and swear about people calling her up with border collies and reckoned they should be banned as pets (along with a load of other breeds!), primarily because so many people just can't train them properly. They are super smart and super focussed, but that means they need loads of mental stimulation, more so than physical exercise. People get them and expect them to be doggy geniuses out of the box, but don't give them the stimulation they need and then the dogs end up with OCD because their brains switch on to the tiniest wee thing that stimulates them. She once visited a collie that had chewed a hole in a wall because the sun reflected off something creating an occasional bright dot on a wall! I never liked them much myself because most I had met had some form of nervous neurosis, I realise now that was probably just down to the owners.

So how did we end up with one? Well he was supposed to be a beardie cross as that's what Mrs BH wanted, the breeder that we got him from was known by a friend of ours who was groomer and had handled dogs belonging to the breeder, and pups that had come from them, and said they were always healthy, good shape dogs with good temperament. So we went to see the next litter, mum was beardie cross herself, and we thought dad was too but didn't see him as he was working, however seems dad was probably a border and the pup probably got mostly border genes from both parents, (although he does have a bit of an beardie like undercoat that makes him a bit more waterproof than your average border collie!). Of course at puppy age they all look the same, it was only after several months that it became apparent he wasn't going to grow into that scruffy beardie cross look and we knew we pretty much that we had a border collie. Mrs BH says it's probably karma; punishment for all the training she had to do with hundreds of other dogs, now getting their own back. However she also says that she now realises how special border collies are and that it was worth the effort!

On the jumping front, we have never encouraged or taught him to jump things, so a couple of lowish gates keep him in one half of the garden, he could easily jump them but it never occurs to him to do so, if we encouraged him to do it a few times I'm sure he'd remember and probably do it all the time for his own amusement...that's collies!

BH

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 6th, 2020, 1:52 pm

bionichamster wrote:[...] ...that's collies!

BH

Thanks @bionichamster. We are under no illusion about the scary amount of work involved but, hopefully, with the attention and our active lifestyle we can live up to the BC's high demands! :)

Return to “Building and DIY”