Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Blatter,genou,88V8,kiloran,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Shower control knob

Does what it says on the tin
gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Shower control knob

Postby gryffron » May 31st, 2021, 12:11 am

Or failing the proper tool, anything that can be wrapped around it to grip. Leather belt, old fan belt, scrap bicycle tyre, even rubber bands.

Gryff

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » May 31st, 2021, 6:47 am

Assuming the chrome ring screws off, if it were me, I'd try to find a small piece of thin serrated rubber sheet.....something similar to a rubber car mat. Wrap around chrome ring, grip tightly and unscrew anti clockwise. We have a rubber device that's used in the kitchen to unscrew the tops of glass jars that would probably work just as well. If it doesn't work using your hands try using some grips over the rubber to get the thread started.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 31st, 2021, 6:54 am

richlist wrote:
Assuming the chrome ring screws off, if it were me, I'd try to find a small piece of thin serrated rubber sheet.....something similar to a rubber car mat.

Wrap around chrome ring, grip tightly and unscrew anti clockwise. If it doesn't work using your hands try using some grips to get the thread started.

If there's nothing like that lying around that might be suitable, then Screwfix sell a 3m length of 25mm wide self-amalgamating rubber for £2.49 that might well solve this issue and still leave 2.8m left to put in the cupboard for next time -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-3m-x-25mm/2115v

Stretching and wrapping a few rounds of that around the dried chrome bit that's struggling to budge should give a really good 'grippy rubber surface' to gain purchase on...

For anyone who's not used self-amalgamating rubber before, it's a really 'grippy' rubber tape that's designed to be 'stretched' on application, so that it both grips the underlying surface initially, and then also bonds to itself once the layers begin to overlap the initial tape-layer, and it then bonds really firmly to both elements to form a really tight seal, depending on how well it's been stretched over etc...For something like this, I'd imagine three or four 'laps' of the chrome element would suffice, with perhaps a double-width application to give a better purchase-area....

For a couple of quid, it really is essential stuff that should go in the 'Duct-Tape' box for just these types of frustrating jobs...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MrFoolish
2 Lemon pips

Postby MrFoolish » May 31st, 2021, 7:39 am

Thanks for the additional ideas. I have a strap wrench on order now so hopefully that will do the trick.

I've been tempted to also buy some grips, as they seem like a useful tool for general use, and I don't own any. But I suspect I'd need a range of sizes. This chrome surround, for instance is 50mm diameter, which is bigger than most pipes but smaller than an oil filter.

MrFoolish
2 Lemon pips

Postby MrFoolish » June 2nd, 2021, 7:00 pm

Just a note to say the strap wrench did the trick in freeing my part, so thanks again. I thought at first it wasn't going to turn, but a bit of a bang on the handle did the trick.

I got the "Boa Constrictor, Medium" and it seems very well made.

ReallyVeryFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReallyVeryFoolish » June 2nd, 2021, 9:04 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Just a note to say the strap wrench did the trick in freeing my part, so thanks again. I thought at first it wasn't going to turn, but a bit of a bang on the handle did the trick.

I got the "Boa Constrictor, Medium" and it seems very well made.

When you reassemble, be sure to apply some lubricant to the threaded and mating parts. Then in a few years time, it will come apart much more easily.

RVF

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 4th, 2021, 7:27 am

Itsallaguess wrote:For a couple of quid, it really is essential stuff that should go in the 'Duct-Tape' box for just these types of frustrating jobs...
It is also the tape to use for outdoor electrical jobs rather than standard insulating tape that suffers from slimy adhesive in heat, tape cracking/flaking in sun, and leakage in rain.

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 4th, 2021, 7:30 am

MrFoolish wrote:I've been tempted to also buy some grips, as they seem like a useful tool for general use, and I don't own any. But I suspect I'd need a range of sizes.
I highly recommend these ones. Chris

Return to “Building and DIY”