Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Boiler noisy expansion vessels?

Does what it says on the tin
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Boiler noisy expansion vessels?

Postby moorfield » October 23rd, 2021, 10:09 am

Our boiler has recently started making what I can only describe as a lot of clanking/banging/churning noises when the hot water tank (it's an internal one) is heating up in the mornings. That seems to be the pattern but it is intermittent, but this week it has cut out twice with an overheat error. Up until about six weeks ago and indeed for the last 10+ years, no noise at all.

British Gas engineers have looked at it 3 times already, each time the engineer has re-pressurized one or both of the two expansion vessels with their foot pumps and off they've popped, the second one told me he found a leak on and fixed one vessel's schrader valve. Now that I have had overheat cut outs I have recalled another one to come today. I am of the view that we have probably now reached the point of replacing parts, I can't keep asking them to come back with their foot pumps to do what seems to be a bodge fix.

Any thoughts from esteemed LF DIYers what the problem might really be, and how I can articulate what I should be asking the next engineer to do?

Thank you
M

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: Boiler noisy expansion vessels?

Postby MrFoolish » October 23rd, 2021, 10:20 am

When I had similar problems, the engineer stripped down the water re-circulating parts of the boiler, cleaned it out, and replaced a couple of parts. Your engineers sound lazy if they are just pumping up the expansion vessel. I'd make it very clear to them this has already been done.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Boiler noisy expansion vessels?

Postby moorfield » October 23rd, 2021, 10:28 am

MrFoolish wrote:When I had similar problems, the engineer stripped down the water re-circulating parts of the boiler, cleaned it out, and replaced a couple of parts. Your engineers sound lazy if they are just pumping up the expansion vessel. I'd make it very clear to them this has already been done.

Thanks. Yes well it's British Gas Homecare, I suspect they try and avoid replacing parts where possible. I have a love-hate relationship with them, in terms of throwing money down the black hole that is fixing boilers (we have two at Moorfield Towers) they seem the least worst option.

Return to “Building and DIY”