Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

long range wireless doorbells

Does what it says on the tin
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

long range wireless doorbells

Postby DrFfybes » June 23rd, 2022, 5:04 pm

Anyone got any experience of a wireless doorbell that will work over 50m away from the house, AND get though 3 layers of 1800s wall?

We want one button on the gate at the end of the drive, a button on the front door, and a couple of receivers in the house.

There is line of sight from one end of the house to the gate so the first receiver should work, but ideally this would relay the signal to the second one at the end of the L-shaped house.

Also a door alarm for the shed linked in might be useful.

Ring is no use, as it needs wifi at the buttons.

thanks

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: long range wireless doorbells

Postby bungeejumper » June 23rd, 2022, 5:36 pm

Plenty of them on Amazon, but heck, you knew that. ;)

The problem, I gather, is that when the batteries in either the gate button or the main unit run out, neither you nor your callers will find this essential point out until they eventually stop guessing whether you're in or not, and come up to the door to find out for themselves? Or not, as the case may be. :(

You will have a choice of 25 doorbell tunes, and each and every one of them will be capable of starting a domestic civil war. Maybe just invest in 50 metres of bell flex?

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 24th, 2022, 9:27 am

DrFfybes wrote:There is line of sight from one end of the house to the gate so the first receiver should work, but ideally this would relay the signal to the second one at the end of the L-shaped house.
Quinetic claim to have 80m range outdoors (i.e. line-of-sight). So if the end of the house has access to 230V then maybe you could fashion a DIY (maybe hybrid) system somehow?

Chris

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » June 24th, 2022, 9:42 am

DrFfybes wrote:Anyone got any experience of a wireless doorbell that will work over 50m away from the house, AND get though 3 layers of 1800s wall?

We want one button on the gate at the end of the drive, a button on the front door, and a couple of receivers in the house.

There is line of sight from one end of the house to the gate so the first receiver should work, but ideally this would relay the signal to the second one at the end of the L-shaped house.

Also a door alarm for the shed linked in might be useful.

Ring is no use, as it needs wifi at the buttons.

thanks

Paul

Have you got power at the gate? Z-Wave has 100m open air range, and devices act as repeaters in a mesh network.

It will lead you down the rabbit hole of home automation though.

https://www.z-wave.com/shop-z-wave-smart-home-products

N.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 24th, 2022, 3:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I forgot to mention there is mains to the gate, there are a couple of lights down there, and there is an old intercom but we can't work out where the wires come into the house, at some point in the past someone installed phone points in every room, 2 in som of them, and there are dozens of phone cables running under the floor and whe we redid the heating I ripped most of them out to make space for the new pipework.

I don't have a smartphone, so anything smarthome related is not of any interest.

The problem is they all make similar claims, I've seen these 3...
mydome https://mydome.co.uk/ which will do a 2 button 2 receiver and 1 shed door kit for about £70.

Then there's the 600 and 800 series from unltrasecure..
https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/door- ... p2715.html is the 600 kit that comes in about £100 with all the bits, and the 800 series, which is 2 of these
https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/long- ... p2196.html
plus a shed PIR or door sensor, and comes in around £300.

And that's before I look at ptoper commercial systems :)

Paul

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » June 24th, 2022, 5:20 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I forgot to mention there is mains to the gate, there are a couple of lights down there, and there is an old intercom but we can't work out where the wires come into the house,

Have you tried borrowing or buying a cable tracer?* If you can locate disused intercom wires and they are still intact from the gate to within a few metres of the house that would open up possibilities such as an old fashioned bell push.

*You hook a radio transmitter to a wire at the gate and wander around the house with the receiver hoping to pick up the signal. If you get anything then the strongest signal leads you to the correct wire (or sometimes a wild goose).

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 25th, 2022, 3:43 am

DrFfybes wrote:I forgot to mention there is mains to the gate...
Then I presume you could use a powerline adapter to get internet down there and just use Ring.

Chris

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 25th, 2022, 9:14 am

9873210 wrote:Have you tried borrowing or buying a cable tracer?* If you can locate disused intercom wires and they are still intact from the gate to within a few metres of the house that would open up possibilities such as an old fashioned bell push

Ahh - like a "cat and genny"?. Might be worth a try. it probably emerges somewhere in the landing under the floor.

csearle wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:I forgot to mention there is mains to the gate...
Then I presume you could use a powerline adapter to get internet down there and just use Ring.

I had thought about that. We use powerline in the house as the wifi is poor, although it did take a while to get it all working together. The power down the drive is....... 6mm from the main supply board to the garage where there is another board with RCDs, which feeds the garage, and feeds 2.5mm SWA underground to the shed, where it splits again to provide shed power, lights, and then on to the greenhouse (which has a rather scary but functional socket) and outside lights, one of which is on the gatepost. I can check if the powerline adapter works in the greenhouse and if so try and get a compatible add-on adapter (or another set of 4 units) and a powerline to wifi thing that would reach the gate.

Or, just buy a long range wirelss doorbell :)

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”