Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Gas Safe certs

Does what it says on the tin
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Gas Safe certs

Postby DrFfybes » July 7th, 2022, 2:09 pm

We had a new boiler installed in May.

The installer notified Gas Safe, who notified local Building Control. We needed a paper cert for the boiler when we sold the old house, which Corgi offered us for £45, and want the certificate for the new one.

Gas Safe say LBC will send us the cert. LBC say we buy it from Gas Safe.

Anyone know who is correct, or if the original installation checklist is sufficient?

Thanks

Paul

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Gas Safe certs

Postby monabri » July 7th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Shouldn't the installer give you a gas safe certificate? We had a new boiler fitted in January this year and the installer emailed the certificate to us.

Neutrino

Postby Neutrino » July 7th, 2022, 8:23 pm

A Gas Safe Registered installer can self certify the installation as compliant by informing Gas Safe Register, either directly or in my case via the manufacturer Glow-worm. You should receive a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate in the post.

If you do not receive the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate within 28 days you should inform the installer. If you still do not receive a Certificate you can inform the installer that you intend to contact the local authority building control and that as the installation is not complete without a Certificate you intend to recover from the installer all costs incurred in obtaining a certificate, including the cost of any necessary remedial work.

You can check on gas safe register whether the installer is registered. You can also order a replacement certificate.
https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

The installation checklist is not sufficient. I understand that the property owner is legally required to have the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate as evidence that the installation is compliant and that building control has been notified.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 8th, 2022, 12:19 am

monabri wrote:Shouldn't the installer give you a gas safe certificate? We had a new boiler fitted in January this year and the installer emailed the certificate to us.

A Gas Safe 'certificate' is not the same thing as a Building Regulations Compliance certificate.

I don't install so the details are hazy, but broadly speaking the GSR bod installs the boiler then logs onto the GSR website to 'notify' Building Control. This costs him or her about four quid and twenty minutes' time answering a tonne of stupid questions, resulting in you getting a BR compliance ticket through the post. I suspect your installer did not bovver, or may not be GSR in the first place so cannot log on and notify.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 8th, 2022, 9:15 am

Mike4 wrote:
monabri wrote:Shouldn't the installer give you a gas safe certificate? We had a new boiler fitted in January this year and the installer emailed the certificate to us.

A Gas Safe 'certificate' is not the same thing as a Building Regulations Compliance certificate.

I don't install so the details are hazy, but broadly speaking the GSR bod installs the boiler then logs onto the GSR website to 'notify' Building Control. This costs him or her about four quid and twenty minutes' time answering a tonne of stupid questions, resulting in you getting a BR compliance ticket through the post. I suspect your installer did not bovver, or may not be GSR in the first place so cannot log on and notify.

Thanks Mike...and the can of worms is opened! Logging on to the gas safe register website indicates that a record is available ( copy £6.xx) for one installation done in 2022 ( a small flat) but not for the mother-in-law's boiler installed in 2017.

Neutrino

Postby Neutrino » July 8th, 2022, 12:53 pm

On checking, it appears that Glow-worm, authorised by Gas Safe Register, sent the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate for my new boiler by e-mail. Check your spam folder.

You can expect a Sellers Property Questionnaire to request a copy of the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate if the gas boiler was installed on or after 1 April 2006.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 8th, 2022, 2:20 pm

Mike4 wrote:A Gas Safe 'certificate' is not the same thing as a Building Regulations Compliance certificate.

Neutrino wrote:If you do not receive the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate within 28 days you should inform the installer. If you still do not receive a Certificate you can inform the installer that you intend to contact the local authority building control and that as the installation is not complete without a Certificate you intend to recover from the installer all costs incurred in obtaining a certificate, including the cost of any necessary remedial work.

[....]
DrFfybes wrote:The installer notified Gas Safe, who notified local Building Control.

I can see it on the Gas Safe register, AND the Council BR website. So, no subterfuge, nothing untowards.

Just nothing in the post.

I got a notification of the 10 year warranty from Vaillant as he is a wotsit installer, but no BR paper.

I'll contact the installer first.

Paul

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 29th, 2022, 11:39 am

Just to wrap this up, I cotacted the installer, who said he would prod Vaillant, and this morning the Cert arrived from Vaillant.

Probably best to scan it to my PC before MrsF puts it somewhere "safe" :)

Return to “Building and DIY”