Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tap spout grub screw stuck

Does what it says on the tin
gilesweb

Tap spout grub screw stuck

Postby gilesweb » June 15th, 2018, 11:44 am

Hi all,

I need to remove the spout from a kitchen mixer tap which is secured in place with a grub screw. Seems like someone may have tried in the past and I think the allen key slot has burred to a circle so the key just rotates freely

Any magic ideas on how I might loosen it or remove it?

I have new grub screw as part of the washer kit I bought to fix the leak, so drilling it out is possible but I would have to remove the whole tap as its too close to the wall to drill in place. I considered screwing a screw into it and then unscrewing but unless counter clockwise screws are available I assume I'll just be tightening the grub screw more.

TIA
gilesweb

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Tap spout grub screw stuck

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 15th, 2018, 11:48 am

Could you put a dot of epoxy (Araldite rapid?) on the end of a sacrificial allen key and let it set, then unscrew?
Works better if the target area is clean, dry, and grease free, which might be difficult to achieve

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 15th, 2018, 12:08 pm

unless counter clockwise screws are available

Depends on how tiny the grub screw is, but there are lots of reverse-threaded extractors for 'normal'-sized grub screws: try Googling 'Easyout' or 'screw extractor'

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 15th, 2018, 12:38 pm

A tightly fitting allen key will often work where a looser one spins. If the key is itself rounded, try a good quality one that isn't. Depending upon the size, an imperial key may work where a metric one doesn't. I have (for larger screws) in the past ground down a larger key and left a slight taper so that it could be hammered into the screw.

If you try to drill it out, I recommend getting a left-handed drill bit and (obviously) running the drill in reverse. Once the drill catches the screw, it may come out.

Julian F. G. W.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » June 15th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Sometimes a flat-bladed screwdriver will get it out if it fits just right. Try a selection of screwdrivers and if necessary tap gently to wedge it in a bit.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 15th, 2018, 2:29 pm

this may be of help?
https://youtu.be/WDOWPekMX44

gilesweb

Postby gilesweb » June 18th, 2018, 10:46 am

What a great resource this site is! Great suggestions all - thank you

Using the screwdriver approach and my phone camera to get a view inside the hole I managed to create a slot in the outside edges of the grub screw and then unscrew it. Job done !!

Also I never knew there were such things as screw extractors - may well buy a set as they would have saved me time in the past. In this case the grub screw was only 2.5mm so even the smallest extractor would probably not have fitted especially as the screw was also recessed into the tap body

Thanks again - sufficient brownie points were earned on Saturday morning to allow lots of football to be watched over the weekend!

gilesweb

CaptainT

Postby CaptainT » March 2nd, 2020, 12:09 pm

Same problem! One problem, as stated, is the distance from the grub screw to the wall. In my case 4" (10cm) which precludes the use of a screwdriver. I did solve the problem using another suggestion of a Torx bit - a #15 to replace the 2.5mm allen key. Gave it a couple of taps with a hammer and turned using pliers. Only took around three days on and off to solve! This was to stop a leak in a Franke Olympus tap. I ordered the replacement washer kit on line. It all worked (no leak) for a couple of days until my wife screamed as the spout came out in her hand with a reasonable amount of water - the tap was "on". Spout back in and tightened up the grub screw. Spout came out again. Had another look and decided the grub screw should go in the "gap" of the top white split ring so it engaged the spout groove to stop it coming out. It still leaked. Called the supplier and the guy confirmed the grub screw fitted in the "gap". He also sent me another pack of washers. All fitted and grub screw in the "gap" - still leaked. This was when the internals of the grub screw (one which came in the washer pack) sheared internally. I did another "Google" and found the correct Franke parts supplier - Central Services. An apparently very knowledgeable young lady advised that they are the only supplier of genuine parts and that the seal is made by the two black rubber washers more than the top white one. She also stated that the grub screw does not fit in the gap but is tightened against the white washer to hold it in place and has to be tight enough to fit into the groove in the spout. If the grub screw that came with the pack was tightened that hard it would no doubt strip again. The original grub screw is visibly a much superior item to the replacements. A pack of the "correct" washers has been ordered so we shall see!

Return to “Building and DIY”