Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Plumbing - How Do I Disconnect These Fittings?

Does what it says on the tin
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Plumbing - How Do I Disconnect These Fittings?

Postby quelquod » November 11th, 2019, 11:38 am

I need to replace some taps in my bathroom and utility room. The (rather shoddy) plumber has used these plastic fittings.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ui8Y9PqrnpB19vRo9
Can anyone tell me how to disconnect them and if they’re reusable? They look as though a good twist should do it but I’m a bit cautious in case I end up needing to hare off to Screwfix in the middle of things.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Plumbing - How Do I Disconnect These Fittings?

Postby jackdaww » November 11th, 2019, 11:50 am

i have a similar problem .

i think these are push fit / snap on fittings .

whether they are re usable i dont know - suspect they are .

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 11th, 2019, 12:02 pm

quelquod wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to disconnect them and if they’re reusable?

Have a look at this video and see if one of your grey fittings is similar -

https://youtu.be/SOjfrfrekuM?t=54

Of course, do ensure that all piped water is turned off before-hand, and I'd urge the use of a couple of scrap towels underneath the fitting areas..

If the grey ones are similar, the given the absence of any outer collets on the white ones too, I'd imagine they unscrew in a similar manner hopefully...

By the way, it's not clear if there is any local isolation to the taps you're wanting to replace, so if there isn't then this might be a good time to think about incorporating those into the tap feeds too....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Of course, do ensure that all piped water is turned off before-hand, and I'd urge the use of a couple of scrap towels underneath the fitting areas..

If the grey ones are similar, the given the absence of any outer collets on the white ones too, I'd imagine they unscrew in a similar manner hopefully...

By the way, it's not clear if there is any local isolation to the taps you're wanting to replace, so if there isn't then this might be a good time to think about incorporating those into the tap feeds too....

Thanks for that. Done plenty of bits of piping but always in copper/compression/solder before, just fancy reusing what’s there if possible to save hassle.

In fact the guy has fitted isolation valves though I doubt if he actually used them himself given the near total inaccessibility of the screwdriver slots!
(Mind you, I’ve always been impressed by the contortions plumbers are capable of!)

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm

In the end I chickened out in case I broke something and managed to disconnect the tap connector at the tap. Bloomin’ awkward almost out of sight up the back of the basin but SWMBO is pleased so it’s a win.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
quelquod wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to disconnect them and if they’re reusable?

Have a look at this video and see if one of your grey fittings is similar -

https://youtu.be/SOjfrfrekuM?t=54

Of course, do ensure that all piped water is turned off before-hand, and I'd urge the use of a couple of scrap towels underneath the fitting areas..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

=====================

my plumber told me you cant have enough isolation valves .

i have found that good advice .

:)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 11th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Those are Hep2O fittings and cannot be removed as easily as Speedfit. (The newer Hep2O fittings are removable with a special tool). The nut has to be unscrewed completely so that the fitting can be dismantled, leaving some parts captive on the pipe. If you are reconnecting the fitting to the same pipe as before, just screw it back together when you are done. Make sure you don't push the stainless steel gripper ring further up the pipe though.

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 11th, 2019, 6:48 pm

jackdaww wrote:=====================

my plumber told me you cant have enough isolation valves .

i have found that good advice .

And make sure you fit them the right way round. (There's an arrow on them to show the direction of flow.) Get them @rse about face, and they'll leak as soon as you turn them off. Not a lot, but enough of a drip-drip-drip on the carpet to make you wish you hadn't. :lol:

I'm also a copper pipe man (although I use solder ring Yorkshires). The last time I re-tapped our house, eight pairs of taps, I used flexible tails and found it really easy. Cheap as chips, and a lot less pipe bending.

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I agree with BJ, flexible tails make the job much easier.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 12th, 2019, 7:51 am

sg31 wrote:I agree with BJ, flexible tails make the job much easier.

==============================

agreed again - they are a godsend - a no brainer.

ive used them all over the house .

ive heard they will last 20 years - which will see me out ...

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » November 12th, 2019, 8:11 am

quelquod wrote:I need to replace some taps in my bathroom and utility room. The (rather shoddy) plumber has used these plastic fittings.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ui8Y9PqrnpB19vRo9
Can anyone tell me how to disconnect them and if they’re reusable? They look as though a good twist should do it but I’m a bit cautious in case I end up needing to hare off to Screwfix in the middle of things.

I love the way that the top left copper pipe in the left hand photo is not parallel to tother.

Ah I see. The 2 top copper pipes are presumably tap tails, but being too low skilled to bend to align with feeds below, and too tightfisted to use flexi tails, he/she has bodged it with vile plastic.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 12th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Hep2O fittings are excellent. Some of the other makes of plastic fittings are less so.

Note that some fittings – ‘solvent weld’ fittings - are impossible to take apart without cutting them off. The fitting and pipe (or other fitting) are coated in ‘solvent cement’ and pushed together. The ‘cement’ is not glue but softens the surfaces such that the plastic is welded.

Note also that tap flexible tails have a tap connection that is either:
- half-inch or three-quarter inch BSP with a fibre washer – for conventional separate taps, or
- M10, M12 or M15 (i.e. 10, 12 or 15mm) sized screw-in connectors with a ‘rubber’ washer outside – for monobloc taps

and the other end that is either
- a 15mm or 22mm compression fitting, or
- a half-inch or three-quarter-inch female BSP nut
for attachment to the supply pipe or whatever.

If you have one with a BSP connector and you want to attach it to an isolator valve, don’t try to screw the BSP connector on to the valve directly: you need an adaptor such as the “Tesla brass compression adapting flexible tap connector” (one end is BSP male and the other end a stub of pipe for the valve's compression fitting)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 12th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Flexible tap connectors are available with a built in isolator valve. This for an example

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap ... 00mm/3558g

I'm sure others are available in other sizes.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 13th, 2019, 7:52 am

sg31 wrote:Flexible tap connectors are available with a built in isolator valve. This for an example

====================

i use them - they are fine .

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 13th, 2019, 10:22 pm

sg31 wrote:Flexible tap connectors are available with a built in isolator valve. This for an example

I never use them, I always fit isolators in the fixed piping before the tap connector. I’ve always thought that if you need to change a tap as I’ve just done having the isolator in the tail is more hindrance than help.

Back to the OP thanks for the inputs. I unscrewed the caps on the push-fits for the mixer tap and was able to get the bits (o-ring, green wedge-shaped rings, clamping cap) off the pipes and get the tap off. I’ve reused the fittings too and all seems well. :)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 13th, 2019, 11:24 pm

quelquod wrote:
sg31 wrote:Flexible tap connectors are available with a built in isolator valve. This for an example...

I never use them, I always fit isolators in the fixed piping before the tap connector.

Seconded.

If replacing taps, I would want to replace any flexible connectors. Having separate isolating valves makes this easier. I actually prefer copper as I have come across a few leaking flexible connectors but, if a tap comes with flexis, I usually use them.

If I do buy flexible connectors, I buy the WRAS approved ones (which are the only ones you should fit in any case).

Julian F. G. W.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 14th, 2019, 8:55 am

jfgw wrote:
quelquod wrote:
sg31 wrote:Flexible tap connectors are available with a built in isolator valve. This for an example...

I never use them, I always fit isolators in the fixed piping before the tap connector.

Seconded.

If replacing taps, I would want to replace any flexible connectors. Having separate isolating valves makes this easier. I actually prefer copper as I have come across a few leaking flexible connectors but, if a tap comes with flexis, I usually use them.

If I do buy flexible connectors, I buy the WRAS approved ones (which are the only ones you should fit in any case).

Julian F. G. W.

Yes I can understand your reasoning. If new taps are needed there would be a problem.

I don't change taps very often, the isolating valves are used more for dealing with dripping taps than tap changes. On that point since we moved to this new property I have used taps where you fit a base unit to the sink and then can change the top part of the tap to any design in the range. Just buying the top part is cheaper than buying the whole unit.

https://www.bristan.com/bristan-easyfit-taps

The original reason for buying them was because they are easy to fit. ( OK they were on a 50% off deal at the time which may have swayed me a little bit)

Return to “Building and DIY”