Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fire Doors

Does what it says on the tin
MrCake
Lemon Pip

Fire Doors

Postby MrCake » December 4th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Just had a loft conversion done and fire doors fitted throughout the house. Building control will now come to sign off everything. If I fix coat hooks to the doors will this, as far as building control are concerned, be a fail? Can't seen any mention of it online.

I know I can wait until after they've been but I really want to do it now. I thought about taking them off before the inspection but then the holes might be a fail.

So many thing have gone wrong with this project that I don't want to tempt fate and would like to know a definite yes or no on this if anyone has expertise in this area.

Many thanks.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Fire Doors

Postby redsturgeon » December 5th, 2019, 9:27 am

https://www.ors.od.nih.gov/News/Pages/U ... Doors.aspx

OK this is from the US but would suggest it is not a good idea.

Don’t nail or screw signs or other items to the fire door. Creating holes or cracks in a fire door may void the fire protection rating and require replacement of the fire door. Signs may be attached to fire doors provided they are small (less than 5 percent of the area of the fire door) and attached with adhesive (to areas other than the fire rated glass view window).

I'd suggest adhesive hooks

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 5th, 2019, 1:28 pm

But, but, but....... You can't fit a lock to a fire door without making holes in it. Even a mortice lock needs a couple of keyholes. ;)

My understanding is that the bigger issue is that clothing is flammable, and some of it will melt or emit heavy smoke before it catches fire. And that you just don't want that kind of stuff hanging off a door which people might need to use as a fire escape?

BJ

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 5th, 2019, 2:32 pm

and would like to know a definite yes or no on this if anyone has expertise in this area.

I'd go for no then. I do know that fire doors are "sets" and hinges, locks, automatic closers etc have to meet standards whether this is building regs or codes of practice I don't know though so as there is doubt I'd err on the side of caution.

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » December 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Thank you for your comments. I emailed the inspector and apparently I can attach them.

Scott0966

Postby Scott0966 » February 28th, 2020, 1:13 am

A bit late to this one. If you know the manufacturer of the door, then you should be able to find the fire certificate. That should explain what can and can't be done to the door to retain it's properties.

Here's some from Jeld-Wen

https://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/literature

If you looked in the CF160 certificate you'd see that hooks are allowed under certain circumstances (I can't copy and paste as they're protected)

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Postby tacpot12 » March 2nd, 2020, 9:07 pm

bungeejumper wrote:But, but, but....... You can't fit a lock to a fire door without making holes in it. Even a mortice lock needs a couple of keyholes. ;)

My understanding is that the bigger issue is that clothing is flammable, and some of it will melt or emit heavy smoke before it catches fire. And that you just don't want that kind of stuff hanging off a door which people might need to use as a fire escape?

BJ

When you fit a lock to a fire door, the lock has to be tested and certified, so even with its keyholes, it has been tested to prove that it will hold back a fire. If you are going to change some aspect of the door, you really need to check with the manufacturer that the change is not going to affect the performance of the door.

Return to “Building and DIY”