Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Curtain track fixed to ceiling.

Does what it says on the tin
Parky
Lemon Slice

Curtain track fixed to ceiling.

Postby Parky » December 5th, 2019, 3:46 pm

What's a good curtain track to fix to plasterboard ceiling in a bay window (90 degree corners - total length about 5 metres), with fairly heavy curtains. I know there are expensive types available (£60 and up) but I do not want to spend that much, and some need to have the bends made at the factory, which presumably would add to the cost. I am hoping to do it for about £30 or thereabouts. The available types shown on the internet are a bit vague on how to fix them (brackets needed etc.). Any experience you can share would be welcome.

Thanks.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Curtain track fixed to ceiling.

Postby bungeejumper » December 5th, 2019, 6:49 pm

A plasterboard ceiling is just not going to support a heavy curtain, no matter how you fix it. And the 90 degree corners will ensure that the curtains need a particularly hefty tug, which will exacerbate the problem.

I'd be looking to attach some sort of a board to the ceiling, or rather to the joists above it. That's the only way you're going to spread the load sufficiently to stop the fixings from ripping down the plasterboard. A metal curtain rail would also help to carry the load, but you're talking a couple of hundred there. Thirty quid just isn't in it. :|

Alternatively, rethink your plans and attach the curtain rails to the vertical surfaces instead of the horizontal ones. That way, you've at least got the laws of physics working on your side. And a basic Swish set would do the job. Your call.

BJ

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 5th, 2019, 7:02 pm

I've used Swish plastic rails and fittings on bay windows. The rails were fitted to the bay ceiling using plaster board fixings.....but quite a few of them. The rails are flexible so I was able to put a curve into the corners. The curtains were only about 4ft drop & not heavy. They survived in a rental property with various tenants for over 10 years with no problems.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm

As one who has had a wife dedicated to swags and tails curtains, I am sure that BJ is quite right. You need to hang (heavy) curtains from a horizontally fixed rail. The strain is much less on horizontal fixtures than on a vertically fixed rail such as you are proposing.

Sadly for you £30 is simply not going to do it either way. I used to have 9 foot plus ceilings and thus heavy curtains. I know from experience what you are asking. It is very difficult (I almost said impossible)

Good luck, but raise your standards.

Dod

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm

I'd agree with bungeejumper. If you want to fix to the ceiling it's got to be a board screwed into the joists above to do the job properly.

Try to cut corners and you will be doing the job again before long and in the end you will have to do it properly anyway.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 5th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Dod101 wrote:As one who has had a wife dedicated to swags and tails curtains, I am sure that BJ is quite right. You need to hang (heavy) curtains from a horizontally fixed rail. The strain is much less on horizontal fixtures than on a vertically fixed rail such as you are proposing.

A quick afterthought. Swish (and others) do some quite good stand-off brackets that you can attach to an upright surface (such as your window surround), but which leave the curtain hanging maybe four inches into the room (as distinct from flat up against the glass!)

They're made of metal, or sometimes plastic, not expensive, and as long as you anchor them firmly they'll be strong enough. Example at https://www.fendow.com/plastic-extension-bracket-15cm/. Different rules apply if your curtains are going to be corded!

BJ

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 5th, 2019, 9:28 pm

https://www.dunelm.com/product/swish-so ... &gclsrc=ds

Many years ago I used Swish in a bay window and hung velvet curtains from them. Plenty of fixings at small centres. The track did bend too.

I'd avoid ceiling fixing at all costs

AiYn'U

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » December 6th, 2019, 8:48 am

Thanks all. After staring at the job all day yesterday I came to the conclusion that fitting a board to the ceiling and fitting the track vertically to it would be the best bet, as many of you have suggested.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 6th, 2019, 9:38 am

Parky wrote:Thanks all. After staring at the job all day yesterday I came to the conclusion that fitting a board to the ceiling and fitting the track vertically to it would be the best bet, as many of you have suggested.

Can you hide the track? That is another of the advantages of fixing a track on a vertical surface; you can usually cover it.

Dod

TimeBomb

Postby TimeBomb » July 4th, 2023, 11:31 am

Online tutorials or DIY forums can be helpful for guidance.

JaneJ

Postby JaneJ » July 4th, 2023, 1:36 pm

Consider checking out different options like PVC tracks.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » July 4th, 2023, 11:14 pm

You can counter batten for assurance but there isn't an issue fitting a Swish type curtain rail directly to a plasterboard soffit if you use good quality plasterboard fittings to screw the brackets into. My 3m wide bay has quite heavyweight curtains and the rail is fixed to the plasterboard soffit with just 6 quite small right angle brackets direct fixed using Rawlplug type screw in type fittings.
There'll be a plasterboard fixing for hanging your 50 inch TV bracket on so a curtain rail isn't an issue.

Return to “Building and DIY”