Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Jammed roller blind

Does what it says on the tin
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Jammed roller blind

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 8th, 2020, 2:05 pm

I have a roller blind in my bathroom - 'chain' controlled, actually nylon cord with plastic balls that fits into cogs on the right (control ) end
T'other day it jammed and
(a) fell off the wall (only glued to tiles)
(b) the chain completely exited the housing

I removed the control end and re threaded the cord but it still refuses to turn more than about 45 degrees
It looks so simple but I can't work out what's going wrong. The inner has a black spring with three protruding pins and the outer has a sleeve that covers 180 degrees - the pins engage with the edges I guess

Difficult to describe, and cant find the precise arrangement by googling
Any ideas??

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Re: Jammed roller blind

Postby Meatyfool » January 8th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Is the chain ratchet thing still connected to the blind (ie inserted into the metal/cardboard tube)?

I had a similar issue and needed to remove the chain wheel from the tube to reinsert the chain. No matter how much I tried, I could not get it to turn in my hand. Turned out that you needed to put the thing back in the tube and it worked perfectly OK.

Meatyfool..

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 8th, 2020, 4:58 pm

No, still jammed when back in metal tube - it's just a push fit with an internal keyway - nothing that could affect the ratchet/clutch mechanism

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 8th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Always ask the stupid questions. Is the other end (the one that doesn't have the chain) turning freely?

It's been a while since I had to fix one of these things, but this one seems closest to my recollections. https://stanbondsa.com.au/how-to-fix-a- ... ind-chain/

But I've seen a fair few of these things that are just worn out at an early age. The plastic bits are designed to last about four years before they start to distort, and then they jam and bits break, and then you go online and blue another tenner on a new blind. ;)

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 8th, 2020, 7:06 pm

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 8th, 2020, 9:53 pm

After much fiddling I've got it rotating again - I think the spring thing with the sticky out bits is supposed to rotate around the central shaft, and I'm guessing whatever lubricant they used had seized solid - the blind was usually down, and I was away for three weeks nearly.
Now I have to fix the plastic mount back on the tiles somehow (No More Nails, Gorilla glue, Araldite???)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 8th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Gorilla Glue and No More Nails would beat Araldite, I think. GG seems expensive, but you don't use much glue because it expands about fourfold when you apply water to make it set. (Ah yes, you do need to know that. :D ) Araldite, I suspect, would take too long to set properly, and anyway it sets to a hard shiny consistency when you really want grabby. I've also been playing with some hybrid glues recently (half superglue, half impact glue), and they're quite terrifyingly fast-setting.

Whatever you use, just use a bit of tape to hold the thing in place while it sets. Well done on figuring out the central shaft business.

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 8th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Hm, don't want an expanding glue as the bracket needs to fit against the tile snugly, otherwise the blind will not fit in the window
Why is life so complicated ?

Return to “Building and DIY”