Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tile Paint

Does what it says on the tin
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Tile Paint

Postby OLTB » January 27th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Afternoon all

Mrs OLTB wishes to spruce up the bathroom and rather than rip all the tiles off (we've already tiled on tile), she has thought about painting them.

I just don't want the finish to look poor so does anyone have experience with painting tiles (I have seen the special tile paint in B&Q) and has it worked?

Many thanks, OLTB.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Tile Paint

Postby bungeejumper » January 27th, 2020, 1:10 pm

One of the good things about wall tiles is that they generally have enough pattern or texture on them to cover up any small inaccuracies in the way that they're laid. (Gap size, exact evenness, etc.) But reduce them to a single shiny paint tone, and these sorts of minor inconsistencies will probably start to jump out at you.

At least, that's what my bro-in-law discovered when he tried it. Didn't look great at all. Then again, maybe his tiling was just particularly rubbish? FWIW, though, the paint was good - covered well, stayed on. Worth a try, I suppose.

BJ

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Tile Paint

Postby Laughton » January 27th, 2020, 4:27 pm

I did it although a long long time ago so paints are probably a lot better nowadays.

From memory, one of the things noticeably different was the lack of grout lines. Unless you manage to paint each tile individually missing the grout lines that's no mean feat and likely to be extremely time consuming and probably not a perfect finish.

As bungeejumper says you end up with a single shiny paint tone which we didn't care for.

In the end we knocked the painted tiles off the walls and had someone replace with new - much better finish.

Return to “Building and DIY”