Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Looking for a gas supplier that accepts zero usage

Does what it says on the tin
JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Looking for a gas supplier that accepts zero usage

Postby JohnB » February 12th, 2020, 10:04 pm

We had our gas supply cut off years ago, but last summer they relined the pipes, and we arranged for the supply to be reconnected so they relined our pipe too (otherwise they'd have cut it off at the street, and reconnecting at a future date would have involved expensive trenching). So we got a capped meter installed. The problem is that EDF won't accept that we use no gas. They've sent 3 meter readers round, who's readings are rejected by the system, so we get nagging letters to submit our own readings, which also aren't accepted, because the system detects too little usage. Only a customer service rep can over-ride them, and I can't face having this conversation every few months forever.

Does anyone know of a supplier that will understand the situation, and just apply a standing change, and accept 0 usage readings. If we get the meter removed, it will cost £80, and I fear the pipeline company will cut off at the road again.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Looking for a gas supplier that accepts zero usage

Postby pochisoldi » February 13th, 2020, 9:05 am

Eon will accept zero gas usage.
Can't handle zero electric, and will charge you the non-direct debit rates when they fail to set up a direct debit post switch...
(They are all crap, it's just the smell and consistency that varies between suppliers)

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » February 13th, 2020, 10:15 am

JohnB wrote:Does anyone know of a supplier that will understand the situation, and just apply a standing change, and accept 0 usage readings. If we get the meter removed, it will cost £80, and I fear the pipeline company will cut off at the road again.

As another example of suppliers who have no problem with nil consumption, Ebico had a tariff with zero standing charge and didn't bat an eyelid at my zero consumption of gas. Unfortunately, the government once again decided (erroneously) that it knew best how a market should work and Ofgem ignored evidence that 'zero standing charge' tariffs would cease to be commercially viable under its proposals so introduced the 'cap' mechanism - which increased my energy bills.

One may now choose ebico's 'zero' tariff for gas which has a minimum annual charge of £104 (inc. VAT) if you have what their TnCs refer to as 'a live meter point for gas' (worth investigating their precise intended meaning for this term?) or else their standard tariff with a standing charge which works out to pretty much the same annual cost when no gas is consumed. As it happens I anticipate starting to consume some gas in the very near future but Ofgem has, with classic brilliance, brought about the moral hazard that a user in my circumstances may as well consume 104 quids' worth of gas rather than the absolute minimum that I'll need since the net cost on the 'zero' tariff would be the same!

What prevents you contracting for electricity only and not appointing any supplier for gas? Is there actually a mechanism linking every meter to a contracted supplier of gas such that any orphaned meter is investigated? Meter reading companies surely only read the meters through which their clients supply energy and wouldn't, I'd have thought, be interested in meters they aren't being paid to read.

Cheers!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 13th, 2020, 11:43 am

JonE wrote:What prevents you contracting for electricity only and not appointing any supplier for gas? Is there actually a mechanism linking every meter to a contracted supplier of gas such that any orphaned meter is investigated? Meter reading companies surely only read the meters through which their clients supply energy and wouldn't, I'd have thought, be interested in meters they aren't being paid to read.

Cheers!

If you have a meter, you must have a supplier, them's the rules. AIUI the domestic supplier installs the meter when you sign up to them, and responsibility for the meter passes to the new supplier if you change.

The standing charge theoretically pays for the wholesale supply infrastructure and checking of the meter ever 24 months(?) as well as admin of your chosen supplier.

FWIW I remember Martin Lewis campaigning vigorously for banning the "zero standing charge" tariffs as the first few units were at a higher price and therefore unfair to poorer people, whilst completely missing the point that the unit rate dropped one you'd reached the threshold at which the standing charge on the standard rate had been covered, which meant in summer low users like me were quids in with virtually no gas use and if I went over the threshold I was no worse off.

Paul

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » February 13th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Over on MSE I've had people advising me to look for a zero standing charge tariff, which of course I don't want, as if you pay nothing you get bad service. It seems other companies do have competent IT that can handle this, and someone recommended Zog, who responded quickly and competently to my email, so I think I'll go with them

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » February 13th, 2020, 12:07 pm

JonE wrote:
JohnB wrote:Does anyone know of a supplier that will understand the situation, and just apply a standing change, and accept 0 usage readings. If we get the meter removed, it will cost £80, and I fear the pipeline company will cut off at the road again.

As another example of suppliers who have no problem with nil consumption, Ebico had a tariff with zero standing charge and didn't bat an eyelid at my zero consumption of gas. Unfortunately, the government once again decided (erroneously) that it knew best how a market should work and Ofgem ignored evidence that 'zero standing charge' tariffs would cease to be commercially viable under its proposals so introduced the 'cap' mechanism - which increased my energy bills.

One may now choose ebico's 'zero' tariff for gas which has a minimum annual charge of £104 (inc. VAT) if you have what their TnCs refer to as 'a live meter point for gas' (worth investigating their precise intended meaning for this term?) or else their standard tariff with a standing charge which works out to pretty much the same annual cost when no gas is consumed. As it happens I anticipate starting to consume some gas in the very near future but Ofgem has, with classic brilliance, brought about the moral hazard that a user in my circumstances may as well consume 104 quids' worth of gas rather than the absolute minimum that I'll need since the net cost on the 'zero' tariff would be the same!

I had about 6 weeks with an empty property with zero gas/electricl consumption on Ebico's "no standing charge, but a minimum charge" tariff.
The final meter readings curiously left me with two final Ebico bills - one for fuel, followed by a final final bill which had the fuel+minimum charge of somewhere short of £1.

I'd rather buy units of electricity/cubic metres of gas in advance at an inflated price than just merrily hand over cash for nothing.
The only reason the gas came in short of the capped figure was because I have a x100 cubic feet meter, where one meter "unit" equals about 31kWh, compared to a metric meter where one meter "unit" equals around 11kWh, (not worth adding another unit - cheaper to take the hit than buy expensive gas).

Revised dictionary definitions:

Final (adjective)
1. Last, ultimate
2. Conclusive, decisive
3. (utility company terminology) Last, ultimate until we change our mind
4. (utility company terminology) Inconclusive, until you haven't heard from us for over a year

PochiSoldi

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » February 13th, 2020, 12:14 pm

DrFfybes wrote:FWIW I remember Martin Lewis campaigning vigorously for banning the "zero standing charge" tariffs as the first few units were at a higher price and therefore unfair to poorer people, whilst completely missing the point that the unit rate dropped one you'd reached the threshold at which the standing charge on the standard rate had been covered, which meant in summer low users like me were quids in with virtually no gas use and if I went over the threshold I was no worse off.

Back in the day, many of the "two level unit" no standing charge gas tariffs would apportion the "expensive" units to mirror expected consumption over the year. So the amount of gas you had to consume to get to the lower rate would be lower in summer than in winter, thus ensuring that for most consumers, the standing charge got collected in full each year - mainly during the winter months.
The same didn't apply for electric - the first N units per month were at the full fat rate regardless of the time of year.

Return to “Building and DIY”