Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Sticky Fridge Seals

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Sticky Fridge Seals

Postby neversay » March 18th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Our fridge door has suddenly developed special vacuum seal powers when it closes. The side-effect of having to tug it open is the outer unit door comes off the slider bracket. I've tried cleaning the seal and frame to remove any sticky substances, but to no avail.

It feels an inane question at a time of 'national crisis' but, as life goes on, I wondered if it's just our fridge door that sucks? :roll:

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Sticky Fridge Seals

Postby Itsallaguess » March 18th, 2020, 4:54 pm

neversay wrote:
Our fridge door has suddenly developed special vacuum seal powers when it closes. The side-effect of having to tug it open is the outer unit door comes off the slider bracket. I've tried cleaning the seal and frame to remove any sticky substances, but to no avail.

It feels an inane question at a time of 'national crisis' but, as life goes on, I wondered if it's just our fridge door that sucks?

This often happens when the draining hole at the back of the fridge gets blocked, sometimes by the slow build up of black crud that may need cleaning out.

Have you also recently been suffering with small pools of water at the bottom of the fridge at the back? If you have, this would corroborate the above issue, but seeking out the drainage hold and checking that it's clear will also be worth doing even if you've not yet been getting pools of water.

Here's a generic image of the sort of fridge drainage hole you're looking for -

Source (which is worth a read in itself..) - https://appliancestop.info/if-water-appeared-in-the-refrigerator/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

neversay
Lemon Slice

Re: Sticky Fridge Seals

Postby neversay » March 23rd, 2020, 3:54 pm

Belated thanks @Itsallaguess. There didn't seem to be a hole on the rear of the fridge, so I got sidetracked looking for the manual. Although in my googling I'm sure I saw, and then lost, a comment that someone used vaseline (or something similar). Naturally, I will try the hole first and give you an update if I have any success. :)

Return to “Building and DIY”