Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Damp Patch

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Damp Patch

Postby neversay » April 4th, 2020, 11:45 am

The lead flashing on our chimney is failing so the February rain has left a rather larger damp patch than usual on the internal bedroom. Given that we are planning a large extension project for next Spring (including re-roofing) is it ok just to live with it until then or are there any consequences that require an early fix?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Damp Patch

Postby Dod101 » April 4th, 2020, 12:05 pm

If you mean Spring 2021, then I would most certainly get it fixed now. Once things are sort of back to normal and you can find a builder (maybe, if you can find a builder) tell him of your plans and get at least a temporary patch. Otherwise you risk dry rot or other damage. Of course you may not care if you are going to remove it all next year anyway, but ingress of water is not good news.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm

neversay wrote:The lead flashing on our chimney is failing so the February rain has left a rather larger damp patch than usual on the internal bedroom. Given that we are planning a large extension project for next Spring (including re-roofing) is it ok just to live with it until then or are there any consequences that require an early fix?

Use Flashband (Google it)

AiYn'U

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 4th, 2020, 1:25 pm

With chimneys it's rarely so simple as the flashings. If they are defective the pointing may need work, any render might be cracked, the haunching might need replacing.

Chimneys are rarely inspected so once a builder gets up there you never know what he may find. Quite a lot of these problems can be bodged as temporary solutions if next years works involve the chimney area. If not get it sorted properly.

A lot of the cost of chimney work is down to scaffolding or hiring other access equipment.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:if you can find a builder) tell him of your plans and get at least a temporary patch. Otherwise you risk dry rot or other damage. Of course you may not care if you are going to remove it all next year anyway, but ingress of water is not good news.

You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get dry rot into a modern(ish) house roof within a year of the leak happening, but wet rot could indeed cause trouble, albeit less severe.

With wet rot you replace the damaged timber, or perhaps 'sister' it with a stronger timber alongside (the preferred technique in listed buildings like ours); with dry rot, however, you're in a race against time to remove entire timbers before the whole thing becomes infected. :o

I'd say this one's a judgment call - you might be able to temporarily fix/bodge it for a year, but don't ignore it. Try and get a builder to look at it - the last time I looked, Rentokil would also inspect for free. What's your roof tiled with?

We are also trying to get a scaffolder at present; but in the age of corona it's not just the workmen who are scarce. So are the local authority bods who issue the damn permits. ;) Fortunately, however, no permits are required if your scaffold doesn't overhang the road or the pavement.

BJ

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » April 4th, 2020, 9:55 pm

It sounds like I need to give it a proper inspection (tomorrow) and arrange a temporary fix that will get us through to Spring 2021. I'm relieved I asked and very grateful for your excellent advice.

Return to “Building and DIY”