Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Swapping a bath for a shower.

Does what it says on the tin
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Re: Swapping a bath for a shower.

Postby PrincessB » June 9th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I did use the word sit bath which probably wasn't the best way to put it. It's one way of getting a bath into a very small space and possibly worth considering if a shower and bath need to be installed in a room with space limitations.

B.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 9th, 2020, 9:31 pm

PrincessB wrote:I did use the word sit bath which probably wasn't the best way to put it.
B.

Ah, so you did. I missed that - sorry.

In principle I like the idea of a sit bath. But I'd suspect it of being a whole lot thirstier than a regular bath, on account of having to be filled to many times the depth.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 10th, 2020, 9:34 am

jackdaww wrote:our bathroom is quite small and did have a long bath.

we replaced it with a shower tub , which give us an extra couple of square feet or so.

you can stand for a normal shower , or sit for quite a passable bath.

an excellent compromise .

:)

==========================================

our armitage shanks shower tub is 1200 x 750mm.

the seat bit is about 250mm high and 350mm deep .

i doubt it would use any more water than a bath , probably less.

i havnt heard them called a sit bath before .

they are available for around £300-350 online .

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 10th, 2020, 10:59 am

Snorvey wrote:Are those the baths with the doors that you see advertised in the newspapers?

I've often wondered, assuming you can't get your leg over the edge (why else would you buy a bath with a door?), do you just sit there as the bath fills up and drains away again?

Many years I discovered the novelty of sitting as my bath drained away. It gives you a feeling of your own weight as the buoyancy is removed and you sink onto the bath floor.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 10th, 2020, 11:16 am

Snorvey wrote:Are those the baths with the doors that you see advertised in the newspapers?

I've often wondered, assuming you can't get your leg over the edge (why else would you buy a bath with a door?), do you just sit there as the bath fills up and drains away again?

That's what I thought when she said "sit bath". I became aware of those a year or two back when my dad got one, claiming he was getting worried at the prospect of one day finding himself unable to get out of the bath! I've seen it, but always used the shower myself in preference when staying with him. One day (if they ever allow travel again) I must try it out.

But apparently the "sit bath" is something different! Googling it, and reading jackdaww's description, they're neither fish nor fowl. Looks like there's a sitting position with water depth up to about the navel, leaving the torso high-and-dry. Certainly not my idea of a bath!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 10th, 2020, 12:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

That's what I thought when she said "sit bath". I became aware of those a year or two back when my dad got one, claiming he was getting worried at the prospect of one day finding himself unable to get out of the bath! I've seen it, but always used the shower myself in preference when staying with him. One day (if they ever allow travel again) I must try it out.

But apparently the "sit bath" is something different! Googling it, and reading jackdaww's description, they're neither fish nor fowl. Looks like there's a sitting position with water depth up to about the navel, leaving the torso high-and-dry. Certainly not my idea of a bath!

===========================

it is permissible to wash the upper torso by means of conveying water using the hands ...

but i use the shower while immersed to the waist to augment the pleasing feeling of sitting in the tub .

:D

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 10th, 2020, 9:22 pm

I used to let properties in Brighton. About 10 years ago there was a definite change in attitude regarding bath v shower, it became increasingly difficult to rent out properties with a bath. So much so that I replaced the baths with showers. I was very resistant to the idea because showers can be a nightmare in rented properties.

Brighton was in an area where properties were nearly all on metered water and the savings from using showers rather than baths were quite substantial, certainly in the eyes of renters. Most of them were younger people which might explain the preference.

I would agree wiith most posters, if you or your wife want a shower rather than a bath just go for it. You might find that in 10 years prospective purchasers will prefer that option.

In my own home I've got a bath and a shower, I rarely use the shower.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » June 11th, 2020, 11:29 am

When we redid our bathroom a few years back we fancied both a large shower and a bath but the only way we could fit them in was a 1200mm-ish cubicle and a corner bath (from memory about 1700mm on the diagonal across the corner). I've used the bath once in all the years just to try it out and it's really a bit short to be pleasant and my wife hasn't used it at all so although it satisfies the concepts it's not really been a very good solution.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 11th, 2020, 11:47 am

Most families with young children will prefer properties with a bath. So, if you have a family sizes property then not having a bath in that property will reduce its market for sale or rent.

If you are not planning to move for another 10 years like the OP.....then it doesn't really matter because the bathroom will, by then, probably need a refit.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 11th, 2020, 12:52 pm

richlist wrote:Most families with young children will prefer properties with a bath. So, if you have a family sizes property then not having a bath in that property will reduce its market for sale or rent.

If you are not planning to move for another 10 years like the OP.....then it doesn't really matter because the bathroom will, by then, probably need a refit.

==============================

i think a showertub would be fine for children , and even small adults .

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 11th, 2020, 12:58 pm

richlist wrote:Most families with young children will prefer properties with a bath.

Evidence?

Potential evidence to the contrary comes from countries where the shower has long been the norm.

So, if you have a family sizes property then not having a bath in that property will reduce its market for sale or rent.

I have sometimes been put off making an offer on a house by an over-keen vendor installing what (s)he expects a buyer to want. Replacing a 20-year-old kitchen or bathroom is one thing, but tearing out something shiny and new because I'm not the identikit clone of someone's feeble imagination just seems so wasteful as to put me right off.

Same goes for bland redecorations such as carpets that scream "rental". If they're old and knackered, that's OK: I can replace them without feeling too guilty about waste. If they're new, it's a much higher hurdle: I have to be happy to live with them long-term or I'll walk away.

Bigger issue still is stupid windows, such as those that only open at the bottom that afflict depressingly many houses these days.

Renting is different: a decent-quality one-size-half-fits (like bland carpets and other decor, or whatever bath/shower combo fits available space) makes for an acceptable compromise. But even there I've been put off by landlords' idiocies, headed by useless windows. Another case in point there is if a cooker or hob is provided with those horrible electric plates that take forever to heat up/cool down and do a bad job. I'd take gas or induction (or an old cooker with radiant rings), or a gap for my own cooker. But something that's going to make everyday cooking such a pain is a showstopper unless the landlord at least agrees to remove it.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 11th, 2020, 6:37 pm

If you're remodeling for yourself, put in what suits you.

If you're remodelling to sell, don't bother as half the people viewing won't like it.

FWIW our old house has 3 bathrooms, all with baths, 2 have showers over, and one bathroom has a 1200mm quadrant shower as well as the corner bath.

2 of the baths have never been used since we fitted them - we put them in as we thought a family house would need a bath for the kids. The other bath is downstairs and the original 1960-ish enamel/metal one that I sprayed under with expanding foam to insulate. It is over 6 feet long in total, and 5'4" of MrsF can lie flat in it - I suspect if it was full enough she could float :)

We use that a lot when we've been gardening.

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”