Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Patio slab grouting

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Patio slab grouting

Postby Clariman » June 18th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Following recommendations on my recent monobloc thread, I bought Bostik Patio Grout to fill the gaps between slabs in our patio. It is a poorly laid patio and some slabs abut each other with little space, while others are 15mm apart. The grout is supposed to be for 5mm to 30mm gaps which will be fine for much of it. What can I put in the narrower gaps to prevent weed growth? I have some left over kiln dried sand from the monobloc driveway. Will that do the job.

In the fullness of time I might get someone to relay the whole thing but I’m happy to give it my best shot with what I have or can easily get.

Thanks
Clariman

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Patio slab grouting

Postby 88V8 » June 20th, 2020, 9:54 am

Clariman wrote: I have some left over kiln dried sand from the monobloc driveway. Will that do the job.

To a degree. Some weed seeds will still take root in it, but you will easily be able to pull them out provided you don't leave them too long.

Otoh, why fight nature? We have rather an obsession with concreting over the natural world, but we can at least do better in our own backyards https://www.flowerpotman.com/plants-for ... -pathways/

V8

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 20th, 2020, 10:25 am

Clariman wrote:Following recommendations on my recent monobloc thread, I bought Bostik Patio Grout to fill the gaps between slabs in our patio. It is a poorly laid patio and some slabs abut each other with little space, while others are 15mm apart. The grout is supposed to be for 5mm to 30mm gaps which will be fine for much of it. What can I put in the narrower gaps to prevent weed growth? I have some left over kiln dried sand from the monobloc driveway. Will that do the job.

In the fullness of time I might get someone to relay the whole thing but I’m happy to give it my best shot with what I have or can easily get.

Thanks
Clariman

I usually 'grout' with a dry mix of builders sand and cement swept across backwards and forwards, then spray with the hose on the finest setting. I would expect that will get into tighter gaps, but if they are really butted up I imagine it will be hard to get much in there.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » June 20th, 2020, 10:27 am

88V8 wrote:
Clariman wrote: I have some left over kiln dried sand from the monobloc driveway. Will that do the job.

To a degree. Some weed seeds will still take root in it, but you will easily be able to pull them out provided you don't leave them too long.

Otoh, why fight nature? We have rather an obsession with concreting over the natural world, but we can at least do better in our own backyards https://www.flowerpotman.com/plants-for ... -pathways/

V8

That's interesting. For an irregular stone path I'd definitely be up for something like that, but for a slabbed patio I'd prefer it neater. However I'm quite happy that we have a flowering herbaceous plant encroaching over a whole slab width down the whole border. Think it's a Verbena but I never remember plant names.

As it happened I had just finished putting in the patio grout and did managed to get some in between all the slabs, so hopefully it will be ok.

The patio really is dreadfully laid and probably not helped by the neighbour's leylandii!

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 20th, 2020, 10:32 am

Clariman wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

That's interesting. For an irregular stone path I'd definitely be up for something like that, but for a slabbed patio I'd prefer it neater. However I'm quite happy that we have a flowering herbaceous plant encroaching over a whole slab width down the whole border. Think it's a Verbena but I never remember plant names.

As it happened I had just finished putting in the patio grout and did managed to get some in between all the slabs, so hopefully it will be ok.

The patio really is dreadfully laid and probably not helped by the neighbour's leylandii!

Is it laid on sand? If so I would be tempted to lift it, and if there isn't one already get a weed membrane under it before re-laying.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » June 20th, 2020, 10:39 am

Wizard wrote:Is it laid on sand? If so I would be tempted to lift it, and if there isn't one already get a weed membrane under it before re-laying.

I think it is laid on sand. If the grouting doesn't hold then I will re-lay it. Thanks for the membrane suggestion.

Return to “Building and DIY”