Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Garage Door remote replacement

Does what it says on the tin
StepOne
Lemon Slice

Garage Door remote replacement

Postby StepOne » July 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Hi,

I've moved into a house with an old looking automatic garage door. The receiver on the wall says it's a B&D Controll-A-Door MPC2. The only remote we have for it is bulky and held together with tape - the same as the one in this link https://www.magickey.com.au/garage-door ... -DOOR-MPC2 (the 'before', not the 'after'!)

I'm looking to get a couple of replacement remotes, but every one I can see for sale on Amazon is 433MHz. Any time I google my model, it's only Australian sites that come up and the only places I can see a frequency specified it says 318 MHz. And the above link implies that I would need to get the style of fob with a bank of rocker switches 1-9 to set the code, rather than the simple press-the-button style that I see on Amazon.

Does anyone know if I have got an obsolete system, or have any advice about replacements that may be compatible, or is there any way I can confirm the frequency of my current remote?

I have been in touch with B&D on their Australian website, but not heard anything back yet.

TIA
StepOne

pompeygazza
Lemon Pip

Re: Garage Door remote replacement

Postby pompeygazza » July 7th, 2020, 1:23 pm

For less hassle just replace the remote and the receiver (you can even get ones that link to your phone now). Sounds like yours is obsolete.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm

If I were in your position, I'd focus my googling on the door opener itself, and then look to replace the receiver with a legal one for the ITU region we are in (that means 433MHz, not 318MHz (Region 3), or 900MHz (Region 1))

If the opener doesn't have any obvious way of connecting a receiver, I would look to see how I could tap into the wired "manual" open/close switch that you use to locally open and close the door, find a compatible receiver and then wire it across the manual switch terminals.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » July 7th, 2020, 1:37 pm

pompeygazza wrote:For less hassle just replace the remote and the receiver (you can even get ones that link to your phone now). Sounds like yours is obsolete.

Hi,

Less hassle? I'm not sure my DIY is up to replacing the receiver, and I don't know how to check if a new receiver would be compatible with the door mechanism. Plus it would be more expensive - there are new fobs out there for £3.50, although it looks like at least £18 if I want to get a 318MHz model - I found one on eBay.

Do you know if changing the receiver is straightforward?

Thanks.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » July 7th, 2020, 1:55 pm

pochisoldi wrote:If I were in your position, I'd focus my googling on the door opener itself, and then look to replace the receiver with a legal one for the ITU region we are in (that means 433MHz, not 318MHz (Region 3), or 900MHz (Region 1))

If the opener doesn't have any obvious way of connecting a receiver, I would look to see how I could tap into the wired "manual" open/close switch that you use to locally open and close the door, find a compatible receiver and then wire it across the manual switch terminals.

Thanks. That does at least explain why all my googling is directing me to Australian websites.

The only way to open the door is pressing a button which is on the receiver - there isn't a separate manual switch. There is a single cable disappearing into the top of the receiver. I take it that it wouldn't be too complicated to swap in a replacement?

Thanks,
StepOn

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 7th, 2020, 2:56 pm

I had to this with both my garages. It's very easy to get a new receiver and remotes and wire the new receiver so it simply connects the circuit the manual switch in your garage is on. You don't need to touch the old receiver.

There are plenty on ebay for about £30-£40, complete kit with two remotes

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » July 7th, 2020, 4:40 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I had to this with both my garages. It's very easy to get a new receiver and remotes and wire the new receiver so it simply connects the circuit the manual switch in your garage is on. You don't need to touch the old receiver.

Thanks scrumpy but there is no manual switch for my garage.... Only a button on the existing receiver unit.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » July 7th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I replaced my ma-in-laws garage remote a couple of years ago. After some research, I found this site that was useful. The cheap clones wouldn't work on the Ansa as it channel hops and the replacement wasn't cheap (about £20). Worth it though. B&D aren't mentioned on the site but they were very good at replying to my queries.

https://www.gateremotes.co.uk/manufacturers.html

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 7th, 2020, 5:42 pm

StepOne wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:I had to this with both my garages. It's very easy to get a new receiver and remotes and wire the new receiver so it simply connects the circuit the manual switch in your garage is on. You don't need to touch the old receiver.

Thanks scrumpy but there is no manual switch for my garage.... Only a button on the existing receiver unit.

Surely a button you press is the definition of a manual switch?

If the new receiver is like this https://garage-door-remotes.co.uk/seip-receiver.htm it sits on top or inside the old box if there is space. 2 wires are live and neutral and the other 2 you connect to the 2 connections on the back of the button on the existing receiver.

Paul

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » July 7th, 2020, 5:48 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Surely a button you press is the definition of a manual switch?
Paul

Hi Paul,

Well yes :D , but I just meant there is no standalone switch because scrumpy said I wouldn't need to touch the old receiver. I will see if I can open the old one up and make sense of what you posted

thanks
Stepone

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 7th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I didn't need to touch the electrics on my old receiver other than simply wiring up so the new receiver made the connection between the wires that went from the old receiver to the push button switch by the garage door. The old receiver, remotes were more than 25 years old

Return to “Building and DIY”