Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Which white emulsion?

Does what it says on the tin
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Which white emulsion?

Postby Dod101 » September 16th, 2020, 10:05 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:You redecorate the inside of an understairs cupboard?

Dod

Yes. Although we started off just putting a shelf in it [1].

It had coat hooks "fixed" to the wall with 4 inch screws disappearing into large holes in the stone wall. The other side was a "floating" wall in that the stud wall was only fixed top, bottom, and at one end, which meant the bit next to the light switch moved 10-15mm if pressed, and the corners had quite large gaps and cracks.
And the vinyl emulsion that was painted onto the bare plaster was peeling in places so was scraped off the a mist coat applied, and the holes where old foxings had been removed seem were either overfilled or underfilled, so once you start you may as well do it properly. I did draw the line at replacing the 22 bits of gripper with 3 long pieces, and just glued the loose bits back in place :)

I've got another cupboard with similar paint adherence problems and the whole wall (8ft x 6ft) came off with a scraper in 30 mins (except for a patch which was stuck faster than a bogey under a 3rd form desk). I've taken some pics of this one, and if I can sort some hosting site I'll post a link to it.

Paul

[1] none of the corners are even vaguely 90 degrees.

Good for you. I have been painting (as in redecorating) over the last year or two and my current small job is my cloakroom. I find these small rooms take up more time than a large square bedroom say, because rather like your cupboard I imagine, everything is a bit of a fiddle.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 17th, 2020, 9:13 am

Dod101 wrote:
Good for you. I have been painting (as in redecorating) over the last year or two and my current small job is my cloakroom. I find these small rooms take up more time than a large square bedroom say, because rather like your cupboard I imagine, everything is a bit of a fiddle.

Dod

Depending on where your door is (ours is on the highest end reather than the 'side') and the width it might be easier to paint one side at a time. Sure you need to wait for it to dry, but under the stairs at 30 inches wide and you have to kneel down to do the short end it is very easy to lean on a wet wall whilst tackling another, especially when using the hop-up to reach the high end above the door (oh yes, and do the ceiling afterwards).

Paul the Badger.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » September 17th, 2020, 9:50 am

neversay wrote: Are Screwfix messing with the reviews?

Everyone is messing with reviews, there is a whole industry of people paid to write fake reviews.
All of them have to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, particularly Amazon ('Verified Purchase' means nothing).
Most likely the paint company behind it rather than the shop.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 17th, 2020, 10:10 am

I must say neversay that I am very surprised at your experience with Dulux and Johnstones because I have always found them totally reliable, although I have never used Johnstone's emulsion. Dulux Brilliant White is pretty much my standard and I cannot say I have ever had any problems with it. OTOH I love F & B and have used their Cromarty in my study and find it gives an excellent depth of colour( or should that be pigment?), but the price of course is ridiculous.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 17th, 2020, 11:29 am

Dod101 wrote:I must say neversay that I am very surprised at your experience with Dulux and Johnstones because I have always found them totally reliable, although I have never used Johnstone's emulsion. Dulux Brilliant White is pretty much my standard and I cannot say I have ever had any problems with it. OTOH I love F & B and have used their Cromarty in my study and find it gives an excellent depth of colour( or should that be pigment?), but the price of course is ridiculous.

We painted the whole house in Dulux Magnola silk emulsion, and I was surprised how much the colour difference was between different tins.

I know you should check batch numbers etc., but I would have thought in this day and age something as standard as that wouldn't have "that's a completely different colour!" variation.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 17th, 2020, 12:26 pm

swill453 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I must say neversay that I am very surprised at your experience with Dulux and Johnstones because I have always found them totally reliable, although I have never used Johnstone's emulsion. Dulux Brilliant White is pretty much my standard and I cannot say I have ever had any problems with it. OTOH I love F & B and have used their Cromarty in my study and find it gives an excellent depth of colour( or should that be pigment?), but the price of course is ridiculous.

We painted the whole house in Dulux Magnola silk emulsion, and I was surprised how much the colour difference was between different tins.

I know you should check batch numbers etc., but I would have thought in this day and age something as standard as that wouldn't have "that's a completely different colour!" variation.

Scott.

How very interesting. I must watch the next time. I am not being critical but my introduction of F & B paint was to get away from what I regard as the dreaded magnolia. Nearly all gone now. Dulux is of course now owned by AkzoNobel, a foreign outfit from Holland. They must be trading on the goodwill of people like me!

Dod

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » September 18th, 2020, 10:03 am

Dod

Dod,

I'm baffled too. The trade paints are reliable and Johnstone's hasn't been a bother. It was only an issue this time as the paint was old.

As for the regular Dulux Matt, there's something strange going on. Take a look at the difference in reviews for the same product on the Screwfix and B&Q sites:

https://www.diy.com/departments/dulux-p ... 813_BQ.prd (99 out of 119 reviews are 2* or below)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dulux-matt-e ... 0ltr/1013v (look at overall scores, then sort on rating low-high and see comments)

Either there are some fake reviews or major quality control issues.

N.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 18th, 2020, 10:17 am

I cannot believe the Screwfix reviews but as I said, I have never had any problems with Dulux. I bought Brilliant White matt for a ceiling earlier this year and it was fine, but I have not bought it in quantity for a long while. I had a big job done a couple of years ago and my painter and decorator swore by Johnstones for both emulsion and satin finished oil based stuff for woodwork. I have always found it excellent.

It sounds as if Dulux does have a quality control problem. I wonder if some are thinning it too much?

Dod

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » September 18th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Dod101 wrote:I cannot believe the Screwfix reviews but as I said, I have never had any problems with Dulux. I bought Brilliant White matt for a ceiling earlier this year and it was fine, but I have not bought it in quantity for a long while. I had a big job done a couple of years ago and my painter and decorator swore by Johnstones for both emulsion and satin finished oil based stuff for woodwork. I have always found it excellent.

It sounds as if Dulux does have a quality control problem. I wonder if some are thinning it too much?

Dod

I experimented with thinning. With barely any thinning I assumed that it was too little and 'lifting' (not adhering) to the wall - no luck. With some thinning it was naturally better to apply but the same result in terms of coverage. I didn't try "too much" thinning as 'some thinning' didn't work. :)

Return to “Building and DIY”