Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Bathroom sink pop-up waste

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Bathroom sink pop-up waste

Postby neversay » July 8th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Another question: (guess who is doing DIY this weekend!)

Our bathroom sink pop-up waste has come apart. I've looked at youtube videos but can't manage to remove the 'barrel' in which the pictured 'hook' sits.

https://ibb.co/VjdzjH6

Does anyone know if these are repairable or is it a case of fitting a new pop-up waste? (If so, is it a straightforward job?)

Thanks!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Bathroom sink pop-up waste

Postby Mike4 » July 8th, 2020, 8:32 pm

That looks like a highly unusual and non-standard pop-up waste to me. I suggest you just buy a whole new pop-up waste and fit that. Ideally the same make and model (if you know what it is), as that way you'll have a new one to dismantle on the bench and perhaps rob for parts and fix the broken one.

BTW there is never anything simple or standard about basin wastes in my experience of owning and running a bathroom shop for best part of a decade!

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 8th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Mike4 wrote:That looks like a highly unusual and non-standard pop-up waste to me. I suggest you just buy a whole new pop-up waste and fit that. Ideally the same make and model (if you know what it is), as that way you'll have a new one to dismantle on the bench and perhaps rob for parts and fix the broken one.

BTW there is never anything simple or standard about basin wastes in my experience of owning and running a bathroom shop for best part of a decade!

Thanks Mike - great advice. Is it a job for an amateur? (Do I just need the part, tools and some silicone sealant?)

I held off tackling the job during the lockdown as I imagined it going horribly wrong and not being able to get a professional to help! :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 8th, 2020, 10:09 pm

neversay wrote:
Mike4 wrote:That looks like a highly unusual and non-standard pop-up waste to me. I suggest you just buy a whole new pop-up waste and fit that. Ideally the same make and model (if you know what it is), as that way you'll have a new one to dismantle on the bench and perhaps rob for parts and fix the broken one.

Thanks Mike - great advice. Is it a job for an amateur? (Do I just need the part, tools and some silicone sealant?)

I held off tackling the job during the lockdown as I imagined it going horribly wrong and not being able to get a professional to help! :)

Hmmm is this a pedestal basin or an inset basin in a vanity top?

If the former it will be near impossible to remove unless you remove the basin from the wall to get good access to the waste fitting. I'd suggest putting considerable effort into finding the same brand and model of pop-up and robbing it of parts to fix the waste already installed.

If the latter then you'll have far better access to it and yes quite an easy DIY job with tools and silicone. Don't be afraid to do the waste up good and tight in the basin, they usually need it to prevent coming loose later.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 8th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Mike4 wrote:Hmmm is this a pedestal basin or an inset basin in a vanity top?

If the former it will be near impossible to remove unless you remove the basin from the wall to get good access to the waste fitting. I'd suggest putting considerable effort into finding the same brand and model of pop-up and robbing it of parts to fix the waste already installed.

If the latter then you'll have far better access to it and yes quite an easy DIY job with tools and silicone. Don't be afraid to do the waste up good and tight in the basin, they usually need it to prevent coming loose later.

Yes, it's the latter - an inset basin in a vanity unit. Thanks for your kind assistance @Mike4. I will give it a go! :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 8th, 2020, 10:21 pm

neversay wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Hmmm is this a pedestal basin or an inset basin in a vanity top?

Yes, it's the latter - an inset basin in a vanity unit. Thanks for your kind assistance @Mike4. I will give it a go! :)

Yer welcome. If it all goes horribly wrong post up some photos and plenty here will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 9th, 2020, 8:39 am

The other part (the part still in the plughole) should just unscrew. If you can't get it out, you need a complete new waste.

The click clack mechanism can be threaded either middle or bottom:
https://www.ebathroomstore.co.uk/produc ... t-no-ek-12
https://www.ebathroomstore.co.uk/collec ... t-no-ek-18
There is a version of the bottom threaded one with a shorter thread but I don't know what the other dimensional differences are,
https://www.ebathroomstore.co.uk/collec ... t-no-ek-08
I have only ever used the first two types. They usually work ok but there can be tiny but significant differences in length. A new waste is a surer option

I have never used eBathroomstore so cannot vouch for their service. I often find that eBay is good for small orders.

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 9th, 2020, 9:04 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:FWIW, I think the pop up wastes are more trouble that they're worth. Over several years, RVF Towers had all it's pop ups replaced by conventional old fashioned ones. Much less frustration.

RVF

There is not a lot to go wrong with a proper plastic plug and a decent chain. Those old BS1010 taps were fitted with washers that lasted decades too. What happened to longevity?

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 9th, 2020, 10:15 am

I hate pop-up wastes. Really, really hate them. :evil: We've had a few in our rental properties, and they never stand up to what the tenants do to them. The stupid rods with their stupid screw-up adjuster blocks come loose and go out of adjustment, and then we get calls to come out and fix them. That's after the tenants have tried bending the rods and losing all the tiny screws, of course. :| And then the damn outflows clog up with hair and hairgrips and lumps of unspeakable substances because the apertures were too narrow to start with.

And then the lifting levers at the back of the basin start playing up and sticking. Partly because they've been abused by simple people who (understandably!) can't figure out whether they're supposed to lift them, depress them, or waggle them furiously backwards and forwards until they co-operate. And partly because they get caked up with toothpaste and other washbasin gunk. Of which, the least said the better.

The invention of Beelzebub himself. Nurse, is it time for my medication yet?

BJ

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 9th, 2020, 10:59 am

bungeejumper wrote:I hate pop-up wastes. Really, really hate them. :evil:

Those horrible things! https://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/ ... rflow.html . A pain to set up in the first place: you have to bend the rod or it scrapes against the basin but if it doesn't scrape against something, it drops down and opens the plughole. A well-engineered one would work fine, maybe a 1/4" rod with porcelain knob, counterbalanced and with a ball detent to hold it in place: smooth and with a feel of quality. I think Amazon deliver them by flying pig.

The one the OP has is a click clack. Not trouble-free but they don't need faffing about with to get them to work properly (or some resemblance to working properly) in the first place.

Julian F. G. W.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 9th, 2020, 11:05 am

jfgw wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I hate pop-up wastes. Really, really hate them. :evil:

Those horrible things! https://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/ ... rflow.html . A pain to set up in the first place: you have to bend the rod or it scrapes against the basin but if it doesn't scrape against something, it drops down and opens the plughole. A well-engineered one would work fine, maybe a 1/4" rod with porcelain knob, counterbalanced and with a ball detent to hold it in place: smooth and with a feel of quality. I think Amazon deliver them by flying pig.

The one the OP has is a click clack. Not trouble-free [i]but they don't need faffing about with to get them to work properly (or some resemblance to working properly) in the first place.
[/i]

Julian F. G. W.

Point of Order...

The OP says his click-clack is well and truly goosed (technical term).

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 9th, 2020, 11:13 am

Mike4 wrote:Point of Order...

The OP says his click-clack is well and truly goosed (technical term).

That's a common plumbing complaint when you get to my age. :lol:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 9th, 2020, 11:35 am

I must say I have just had a pop up plug replaced after about 15 years of faultless service, with another of the same. Once a week I unscrew it, give it a good clean and screw it back in place. I think the ones with silly little levers which are intended to push up the waste plug are far more trouble.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 9th, 2020, 5:05 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
jfgw wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:FWIW, I think the pop up wastes are more trouble that they're worth. Over several years, RVF Towers had all it's pop ups replaced by conventional old fashioned ones. Much less frustration.

RVF

There is not a lot to go wrong with a proper plastic plug and a decent chain. Those old BS1010 taps were fitted with washers that lasted decades too. What happened to longevity?

Julian F. G. W.

I understand it's known as "progress".

RVF

So perhaps going back to washing in the water in the bucket pumped by hand rather than using these new-fangled basins and taps...

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 9th, 2020, 5:24 pm

AF62 wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
jfgw wrote:There is not a lot to go wrong with a proper plastic plug and a decent chain. Those old BS1010 taps were fitted with washers that lasted decades too. What happened to longevity?

Julian F. G. W.

I understand it's known as "progress".

RVF

So perhaps going back to washing in the water in the bucket pumped by hand rather than using these new-fangled basins and taps...

OP here. I'll put that suggestion to my wife... ;)

Return to “Building and DIY”