Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Upcoming "green" energy improvement grants?

Does what it says on the tin
88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Upcoming "green" energy improvement grants?

Postby 88V8 » July 11th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Recall your exchange on the oilies board, about PV costs.
Mmmm, here it is starting at #318249
https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=40
You think things will be different now?

V8

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 11th, 2020, 11:11 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Will be interesting to see over the next few weeks how Sunak's domestic property focussed green energy initiatives go. I would be tempted to get quotes again for a domestic solar PV system (previously too expensive) if the subsidy was significant. However, I expect that the PV installers will be right this minute working out how much they can raise their priced by to maximise their profits. I expect the headline subsidy will be far in excess of the actual real cost saving to the actual customer. I guess we will see pretty soon. I expect to be disapointed.

RVF

I agree. The subsidies will be quoted in £bns in the media, not in £ per house. Prices for PV in the world of narrowboats were well below £1 per Watt last time I looked. I bet they have rocketed recently and there will be no Sunak subsidy for us boaters!

On a related subject there is apparently a serious shortage of chemical toilets at the moment. "Porta-Potti"s (yes, honestly!) which used to sell for £68 new are rare as hens' teeth new, and manky old second hand examples (yuk) are now fetching well over £100 apparently. Anyone got any idea why this should be?

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » July 12th, 2020, 11:26 am

Mike4 wrote:On a related subject there is apparently a serious shortage of chemical toilets at the moment. "Porta-Potti"s (yes, honestly!) which used to sell for £68 new are rare as hens' teeth new, and manky old second hand examples (yuk) are now fetching well over £100 apparently. Anyone got any idea why this should be?

Campsites with communal toilet blocks wanting individual loos for each pitch ??

Rob

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 12th, 2020, 12:13 pm

I've got a couple of used porta pottis.......whoa......I can smell the profit already.

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » July 12th, 2020, 5:39 pm

The chap that installed our solar panels a few years ago told me recently that at the moment battery storage makes more financial sense than solar panels. Especially if you take a tariff that allows you to charge at low cost and export back to the grid at peak times. I haven't looked into it to see if what he said is justified.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm

The problem is the high initial cost of the storage batteries.

It almost makes sense to install one without solar panels if you are on economy 7/ dual rate electricity tariff. Charge the battery at night on half price electricity......use the battery during the day to run the house.

Return to “Building and DIY”