Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Does this mirror hanging idea work?

Does what it says on the tin
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Does this mirror hanging idea work?

Postby Satsuma » July 14th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Hi all

I have a heavy mirror (7kg), which also has a glass frame. Basically nowhere I can drill in or anything.
The manufacturer has fixed two hanging points which look like narrow linear slots approx 440mm long x 2-3mm wide- i.e. you would slot something flat up into them. However the slot depth is only ~1cm.

I have come up with the possible solution of using headboard slot hangers to hang it e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-I ... 3901019087?

I was thinking I could screw 2 hangers onto a batten that was solidly screwed in to the studs and then hook the mirror straight onto them (another batten at the bottom so the mirror hangs parallel to the wall).

I'd be grateful for any flaws in my plan; or improvements on it - I am just guessing! Unfortunately the example hangers above are slightly too wide so I would need to find slightly smaller alternatives!

MTIA
Sats

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Does this mirror hanging idea work?

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2020, 12:37 am

Satsuma wrote:Hi all

I have a heavy mirror (7kg), which also has a glass frame. Basically nowhere I can drill in or anything.
The manufacturer has fixed two hanging points which look like narrow linear slots approx 440mm long x 2-3mm wide- i.e. you would slot something flat up into them. However the slot depth is only ~1cm.

I have come up with the possible solution of using headboard slot hangers to hang it e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-I ... 3901019087?

I was thinking I could screw 2 hangers onto a batten that was solidly screwed in to the studs and then hook the mirror straight onto them (another batten at the bottom so the mirror hangs parallel to the wall).

I'd be grateful for any flaws in my plan; or improvements on it - I am just guessing! Unfortunately the example hangers above are slightly too wide so I would need to find slightly smaller alternatives!

MTIA
Sats

From the length it almost sounds like it's expecting a cleat style mount?
Something like this: https://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat_A.html

-sd

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 15th, 2020, 6:08 am

servodude wrote:
From the length it almost sounds like it's expecting a cleat style mount?

Something like this:

https://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat_A.html

I was wondering if the standard 'wall-mounted kitchen cupboard' brackets were in mind by the mirror manufacturer here, but it's difficult to tell without looking at the slot on the back of the mirror.

There's both the single-bracket options for wall-mounted kitchen cupboards, or the longer 'bar' solution, depending on weight -

Amazon links to the above two options, in case they're useful -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabinet-hanger-plate-steel-heavy/dp/B01M7YZCI6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanging-Kitchen-Cabinet-Cupboard-Mounting/dp/B00VK29NKU

Obviously these types of wall-mounted kitchen cupboards will be designed to carry a fairly considerable weight, so these brackets are quite heavy-duty and might be a good option if they're suitable for the manufactured mounting-slot in the mirror.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 15th, 2020, 10:19 am

Thanks both!

The cleat idea may indeed be what the manuf was aiming for, but the 2 slots they have provided are much smaller than the long rails in the link (and thank you for giving me some insight into terminology I can use to help search!)

Kitchen cupboard mounts might also work on the same principle as my headboard mounts but be more heavy duty as you say.

Ideally I'd take the mirror to the shop but all the on-street parking has been suspended there at the mo. I can wait, or maybe take photos in with me, I guess.

Sats

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 15th, 2020, 10:36 am

Satsuma wrote:Thanks both!

The cleat idea may indeed be what the manuf was aiming for, but the 2 slots they have provided are much smaller than the long rails in the link (and thank you for giving me some insight into terminology I can use to help search!)

Kitchen cupboard mounts might also work on the same principle as my headboard mounts but be more heavy duty as you say.

Ideally I'd take the mirror to the shop but all the on-street parking has been suspended there at the mo. I can wait, or maybe take photos in with me, I guess.

Sats

Looking at the first of those Amazon links out of curiosity, I noted that you can also buy the same type of thing in 1 metre lengths for cutting with a hacksaw. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanging-Kitche ... 00VK29NKU/

Provided you have a hacksaw, this looks like a way of getting the right size for your mirror?

Edited to add: I think you're fixing into plasterboard? You can get heavy-duty fixings to go into plasterboard which would avoid the need for the battens..... Example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasterboard-S ... B07TPS98MJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 15th, 2020, 12:51 pm

I'm about to fit a couple of heavy bathroom mirror cabinets to tiled walls, that use the kitchen cupboard style mounts

I've been putting it off as I know there is a world of pain frilling the tiles to get the mounts in the right place whilst avoiding the pipes I know run near where one mount foes.

I'd never seen the longer "cut to length" brackets before so many thanks to IAAG for posting that.

Paul

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm

chas49 wrote:Looking at the first of those Amazon links out of curiosity, I noted that you can also buy the same type of thing in 1 metre lengths for cutting with a hacksaw. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanging-Kitche ... 00VK29NKU/

Provided you have a hacksaw, this looks like a way of getting the right size for your mirror?

Edited to add: I think you're fixing into plasterboard? You can get heavy-duty fixings to go into plasterboard which would avoid the need for the battens..... Example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasterboard-S ... B07TPS98MJ

Unfortunately they are made to be cut into 10cm lengths, so I'd be unsure about cutting it more than half that. But yes I do have a hacksaw! :D

Yes, plasterboard. I did think about plasterboard anchor fixings, but my batten idea was to try and give it real security and spread the load even more though, as it's a glass-framed mirror hanging directly over a tiled shelf and then sink and taps.

Thanks
Sats

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 15th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Link off a link, I just saw this and am quite intrigued!

How much weight can FIX-PRO® Mounting Tape Outdoor hold?
Third party testing has verified that FIX-PRO® Mounting Tape Indoor can hold up to 0.85 pounds per square inch.

https://shop.velcro.co.uk/collections/f ... ng-tape-6m

They had a pop up "roulette wheel" offering discounts which gave me 15% off with VELCRO15 (and possibly the max 20% on the wheel if you apply similar logic to this impenetrable code - VELCRO20?)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Satsuma wrote:I have a heavy mirror (7kg), which also has a glass frame. Basically nowhere I can drill in or anything.

Well, surely the simplest is to "slot" them onto a decent strength cord/rope that's between two screws into studs.....

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 15th, 2020, 4:58 pm

mc2fool wrote:Well, surely the simplest is to "slot" them onto a decent strength cord/rope that's between two screws into studs.....

How? They are like 2 separate envelopes, only one way in and out.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 15th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Satsuma wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Well, surely the simplest is to "slot" them onto a decent strength cord/rope that's between two screws into studs.....

Envelopes? Are you saying the "narrow linear slots approx 440mm long x 2-3mm wide" are closed at each end? Methinks a photo would be useful. ;)

BTW, are those dimensions correct? You later say "Unfortunately they are made to be cut into 10cm lengths, so I'd be unsure about cutting it more than half that". 10cm = 100mm so why would you cut it more than half that to fit into a 440mm slot? Or am I missing something?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2020, 11:24 pm

44mm rather than 440mm?

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 16th, 2020, 11:20 am

mc2fool wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Envelopes? Are you saying the "narrow linear slots approx 440mm long x 2-3mm wide" are closed at each end? Methinks a photo would be useful. ;)

BTW, are those dimensions correct? You later say "Unfortunately they are made to be cut into 10cm lengths, so I'd be unsure about cutting it more than half that". 10cm = 100mm so why would you cut it more than half that to fit into a 440mm slot? Or am I missing something?

Sorry, I am probably causing more confusion than clarity! (I originally wrote in a mashup of inches and cm and mm so count yourselves lucky! :lol: )

On the back of the mirror are two separate, enclosed "envelopes".
Each envelope has an opening about 40mm long x 2mm wide to hook something into, to a depth of approx 10mm.

I don't have a photobucket etc account to load photos unfortunately - unless there is some easier way I have missed?

TIA
Sats

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 16th, 2020, 11:43 am

Satsuma wrote:On the back of the mirror are two separate, enclosed "envelopes".
Each envelope has an opening about 40mm long x 2mm wide to hook something into, to a depth of approx 10mm.

Aha! :D

I don't have a photobucket etc account to load photos unfortunately - unless there is some easier way I have missed?

https://imgur.com/ seems to be the favourite around here. No account needed, just click "New post" at the top left and upload your photo. Then either post the URL of the resultant page here or (usually better) post the URL of the photo within Img tags (see buttons at the top when you are composing your post).

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 16th, 2020, 11:44 am

Are the slots either a 'T' or an 'L' section ?
Or are they just a square shaped slot ?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 16th, 2020, 11:46 am

mc2fool wrote:https://imgur.com/ seems to be the favourite around here. No account needed, just click "New post" at the top left and upload your photo. Then either post the URL of the resultant page here or (usually better) post the URL of the photo within Img tags (see buttons at the top when you are composing your post).

Tip - to get the URL of the actual photo after uploading it, right-click on the image and select "Open image in new tab". Then copy the URL of that page between the img tags.

Scott.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm

ooooh this is a brave new world...! 8-)

Picture of one of the slots!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 16th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Great!

Looks like you need a "flush mount bracket" to fit; and your original suggestions are probably a really good choice!

Good luck; I've had more trouble hanging mirrors than anything else (they never look straight.. even if they are, because the far wall isn't exactly either ;) )
- sd

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 16th, 2020, 1:44 pm

servodude wrote:Great!

Looks like you need a "flush mount bracket" to fit; and your original suggestions are probably a really good choice!

Good luck; I've had more trouble hanging mirrors than anything else (they never look straight.. even if they are, because the far wall isn't exactly either ;) )
- sd

Thanks! And apologies to all for the circuitous nature of getting to this point when the picture could have solved it instantly :lol:

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » July 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Hi Sats

I had a mirror project where the same hangers as yours were delivered with the mirrors.
They were fixed with double sided tape, which didn't seem particularly strong and, like you, I didn't have a "male" counterpart to hang them on.

As I wanted the mirrors totally flush I removed those hangers and just NoMoreNails-ed the mirrors direct to the wall.

Works fine, although might be a pain to remove.

Might be an option for you if you are sure it will be a permanent fixture.

Return to “Building and DIY”