Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Temporary Rain Covers

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Temporary Rain Covers

Postby neversay » September 3rd, 2020, 7:49 am

One of the natural side-effects of our new pup is waiting out in the rain for him to do his business (or not) many times a day. I was considering rigging up a temporary rain cover at the back of the garage and have seen these sails:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEYOMART-Water ... 086P9QDSP/

Does anyone know if these are a good option?

We have an extension project starting next Spring, so it just needs to be a temporary low-cost solution for the winter months. And, yes, I know a jacket and umbrella would work too but even a small shelter might avoid the worst drenchings. :D

N.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Temporary Rain Covers

Postby mutantpoodle » September 3rd, 2020, 8:04 am

is there space for a gazebo? you can usually pick them up from small ads for £10 ish...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 3rd, 2020, 11:24 am

Just one question. How are you going to stop Fido from doing his business under the cover, where you're standing?

Good idea, though. You can't go too far wrong at that price, as long as you've got something to tie it onto. Anchor it down firmly, though. You'd be surprised at the tonnage of lift that sails and gazebos can create in a stiff wind.

[Edit: I loved one reviewer's description of the coverage you get from a 3 metre triangle. "Think thong, rather than granny pants".] :lol:

BJ

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » September 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:is there space for a gazebo? you can usually pick them up from small ads for £10 ish...

As it happens, I do have a gazebo that I picked-up end-of-season from Tesco for £15 many years ago. By coincidence, I did have it out the other week for my daughter's birthday socially-distanced camping sleepover with a couple of her friends. It partly prompted my post as I did consider it. However, it is very flimsy and probably wouldn't have survived the mini-storm we had last week. Dismantling it each time we get strong winds is a real pain.

It just occurred to me though that we do have an ageing cantilevered parasol umbrella by the french doors that I could relocate and is easy to raise/drop with the weather. Its present position is a pain as it's low (for sitting rather than standing) doesn't clear the patio doors, but it does give some shade to a small outside table. Moving it to the back of the garage might work as a temporary measure, although a proper canopy would be more effective.

bungeejumper wrote:Just one question. How are you going to stop Fido from doing his business under the cover, where you're standing?

Good idea, though. You can't go too far wrong at that price, as long as you've got something to tie it onto. Anchor it down firmly, though. You'd be surprised at the tonnage of lift that sails and gazebos can create in a stiff wind.

[Edit: I loved one reviewer's description of the coverage you get from a 3 metre triangle. "Think thong, rather than granny pants".

Good point on where Fido does his business. He's a border collie but seems to have an aversion to rain at present. That might be encouraged as long as he doesn't hold it in to the point of accident. :roll:

I did read the 'thong' comment which made me laugh. You would think Pythagoras could have put more surface area into triangles when he invented them. :D

More seriously, that is an issue with triangles as opposed to an awning which would provide more cover, but needs more anchoring points. That might be difficult.

Return to “Building and DIY”