Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

A Couple of Cold Radiators.

Does what it says on the tin
88V8
Lemon Half

Re: A Couple of Cold Radiators.

Postby 88V8 » September 11th, 2020, 10:12 am

Beginning to sound as if it might be easier to use a fan heater :)

V8

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 11th, 2020, 10:33 am

Depending on routing, might it be feasible to thread microbore through the existing 15mm pipes, essentially using them as ducting?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 11th, 2020, 11:19 am

staffordian wrote:Depending on routing, might it be feasible to thread microbore through the existing 15mm pipes, essentially using them as ducting?

I doubt it. The 15mm pipework is highly unlikely to go back to the manifolds. My experience is that anyone going to the trouble of installing all the way to the manifolds, they are going to do it in the correct 8mm or 10mm pipe as it is SO more easier to install in long runs than 15mm.

Anyone who CBA to buy the right tube for the job is unlikely to have taken the trouble of going all the way back to the manifolds, I suggest.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 14th, 2020, 9:02 am

Mike4 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
Thanks Mike - I didn't realise you could split them withou getting wet.

It is a Grudfoss Red one (as I suspect 99% of them are) so I'll get the model number and look on t'interweb.

Paul

Well it's a Really Good Idea to close the isolating valves each side of it first....

Then just take out the four x M5 set screws holding the motor on, then it *should* just come off complete with impeller. (4mm Allen key IIRC.)

Thanks, I did know about the valves but didn't know how muc might spurt out.. Having just filled with inhibitor I'd rather not drain down again. Hopefully the gate valves are in better condition than the ball of green dust masquerading as one on the feed from the header tank that snapped quite easily. Turns out the pipes were too short and barely into the olives and had been weeping since installation.

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 14th, 2020, 12:51 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Thanks, I did know about the valves but didn't know how muc might spurt out.. Having just filled with inhibitor I'd rather not drain down again. Hopefully the gate valves are in better condition than the ball of green dust masquerading as one on the feed from the header tank that snapped quite easily. Turns out the pipes were too short and barely into the olives and had been weeping since installation.

Paul

You're welcome. There will be about a cupful of water to catch. Easy using say, an old towel.

You're also right to be suspicious of the state of the isolator valves. They are unlikely to snap but they have a better trick they play on you sometimes - you think you turned them both OFF but one (or both) didn't turn off at all :D

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » September 25th, 2020, 7:05 pm

After a day shifting furniture, lifting carpet, cutting a trapdoor and exploring the accessible bit of piping I discovered that the builder had actually used 20mm pipe to the wall of the original house then reduced to 10mm to the radiators - a mini manifold I suppose Mike4 ;) - and Hep2o so I was able to dismount things and demonstrate that in fact it was the feeds to the radiators in the 10mm plastic which had more or less blocked despite having a magnetic trap in the system. Crawling under the floor at my age isn’t fun!

So seeing as there was at least some flow I dosed the system with Sentinel’s X800 cleaner. What remarkable stuff! After half a day running the system the radiators are now getting hot, so I’m going to leave the stuff circulating for a week or so with the boiler turned down so we don’t fry then drain it off. I must confess to being a bit sceptical of manufacturers’ wonder claims as a rule, but in this case X800 certainly seems to do its job. The builder’s bodge piping seems AOK too fortunately.

Return to “Building and DIY”