Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Perspex or plastic glazing

Does what it says on the tin
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Perspex or plastic glazing

Postby Nimrod103 » September 9th, 2020, 1:31 pm

My large but cheap garden summerhouse is glazed with some plastic like material, which has now after 10 years become distinctly yellow brown. Does anyone know if this can be reversed, and if not what should I replace it with? Perspex or acrylic sheets from B&Q are quite pricey, and the glazed area is such that it could work out expensive. Any ideas?

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Perspex or plastic glazing

Postby Maroochydore » September 9th, 2020, 7:41 pm

I ordered last week and received today sheets of 6mm twinwall polycarbonate cut to various sizes for a small greenhouse I'm making.

I used these people https://www.thepolycarbonatestore.co.uk ... -multiwall, other suppliers are available. Delivery cost was £9.95, other suppliers are equal but one charges over £22 for delivery but are pennies cheaper on the cut-to-size sheets.

As a bench-mark I paid the equivalent of £15.67 per sq metre including VAT. The DIY sheds are ridiculously priced plus you have to cut it yourself and you need to factor in the cost of waste off-cuts, which obviously doesn't apply with cut-to-size suppliers.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 9th, 2020, 8:02 pm

We've had polycarbonate panels around our hot tub since 2004 with no discolouration......so i would recommend the material.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 10th, 2020, 4:50 pm

richlist wrote:We've had polycarbonate panels around our hot tub since 2004 with no discolouration......so i would recommend the material.

You get what you pay for. Cheapo polycarbonate will degrade and discolour within five years, but better stuff with UV protection won't. A thought to bear in mind when price-shopping. Perhaps include "UV" in your product searches?

Another point about polycarbonate is that it can be a beast to cut. One false move and it cracks and splits. Probably worth getting somebody to do it for you?

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”