Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

One room or two ?

Does what it says on the tin

1 room or 2

Poll ended at September 27th, 2020, 12:27 pm

32%
68%

Total votes: 19

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

One room or two ?

Postby Sussexlad » September 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Yet again on 'Homes under the hammer', it was suggested that a good option, in a house with only single such facilities, was to remove the wall between bathroom and toilet Being in favour of both a leisurely visit and indeed privacy, I have always thought this was a very bad idea.
So the question is, 1 room or 2 ?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: One room or two ?

Postby richlist » September 13th, 2020, 2:26 pm

What about a 3rd option for those of us who have no preference either way ?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 13th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Fashion comes and goes, and I'm not sure there's a universal answer. The last I heard, the pendulum of taste was swinging back toward two rooms rather than one.

A lot would depend on how many people are in the house, and what sex they are. Being unable to get into the bathroom in the morning because somebody has decided to monopolise the bog for half an hour would seem to be an unnecessary hassle. Conversely, being unable to answer an urgent call of nature because your daughter is tinting her eyelashes would also lead to familial disputes.

Wouldn't it?

BJ

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 13th, 2020, 4:35 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Fashion comes and goes, and I'm not sure there's a universal answer. The last I heard, the pendulum of taste was swinging back toward two rooms rather than one.

A lot would depend on how many people are in the house, and what sex they are. Being unable to get into the bathroom in the morning because somebody has decided to monopolise the bog for half an hour would seem to be an unnecessary hassle. Conversely, being unable to answer an urgent call of nature because your daughter is tinting her eyelashes would also lead to familial disputes.

Wouldn't it?

BJ

I believe the trend is to more bathrooms, which eliminates the issues you raise. New builds must have an accessible toilet by law, so that means in a two storey house at least two, but even in pretty modest new builds an ensuite is now very common. So it is no suprise redevelopments of older houses are also heading that way. We are starting the redevelopment of an old 3 bed farm worker's cottage to which we will be adding one bedroom but two additional bathrooms. We are not at the US level of 1 bathroom per bedroom plus a 'half bath' aka a downstairs loo, but that is the direction of travel from what I see.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » September 13th, 2020, 7:01 pm

richlist wrote:What about a 3rd option for those of us who have no preference either way ?

Then look at the issue in terms of, if you were developing a house for sale or rent, what would you do with the sole toilet/bathroom ! :-)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 13th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Wizard wrote:I believe the trend is to more bathrooms, which eliminates the issues you raise.

Indeed. Would that be an American bathroom you're talking about, or one that actually has a bath? Anyway, the OP's query states clearly that this is the only toilet/bath in the house - or that's how I read it anyway. So talking about the need for more bathrooms would seem to be missing the point. ;)
New builds must have an accessible toilet by law, so that means in a two storey house at least two, but even in pretty modest new builds an ensuite is now very common.

An ensuite? News to me, although I suppose that would depend on what you consider pretty modest. No room to swing a cat in most modern bedrooms, never mind drown it.
So it is no suprise redevelopments of older houses are also heading that way. We are starting the redevelopment of an old 3 bed farm worker's cottage to which we will be adding one bedroom but two additional bathrooms.

I'm reliably informed that the relative value of an extra bedroom versus an extra bathroom varies across the country. In our area (SW England), it would reduce the utility value of a mid-sized family house too much, and the resale price would reflect that.

Subject to the above provisos, I wouldn't actually disagree with you about the desirability of additional washing facilities wherever they can feasibly be created. When we restored Bungee Towers, I put washbasins into nearly all the bedrooms, and that (plus a shower room, a bathroom and two loos) has proved to be a flexible solution even when we've had eight or ten house guests. Personally, I wouldn't dream of cramming a whole ensuite into a room of less than, say, 20 square metres. I've stayed in too many needlessly cramped bedrooms that would have worked better without the ensuite. Still, each to his own. ;)

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 13th, 2020, 8:10 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Fashion comes and goes, and I'm not sure there's a universal answer. The last I heard, the pendulum of taste was swinging back toward two rooms rather than one.

Wouldn't it?

BJ

Exactly. In an ideal world (or in the house I moved out of a year ago), you have a general bathroom (including loo) and a separate loo so someone having a long soak isn't a problem. Or even more if you have the space and the demand.

Current house has two tiny bathrooms, but I've concluded it would really be better with a single decent-sized one.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 13th, 2020, 8:24 pm

Sussexlad wrote:
richlist wrote:What about a 3rd option for those of us who have no preference either way ?

Then look at the issue in terms of, if you were developing a house for sale or rent, what would you do with the sole toilet/bathroom ! :-)

I do have one bedroom properties that I rent and I've sold quite a few one bed properties over the last 6 years, I've even had some of the bathrooms refitted in some properties. I have no preference because it doesn't seem to make any difference wether the loo is separate or not. There is a shortage of property.....it can be let quickly and sold just as fast.

Because developing is about getting a return on investment I would tend to leave a one bed layout exactly how it already is.

Non of that helps me with just two options.

So, can I have a third option now ?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 13th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 13th, 2020, 8:57 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Wizard wrote:I believe the trend is to more bathrooms, which eliminates the issues you raise.

Indeed. Would that be an American bathroom you're talking about, or one that actually has a bath? Anyway, the OP's query states clearly that this is the only toilet/bath in the house - or that's how I read it anyway. So talking about the need for more bathrooms would seem to be missing the point. ;)

You are right about the OP's poll, but I was responding to you comment about the "pendulum of taste" as I assumed that was a more general comment, rather than only in respect of one bathroom houses. But maybe I was wrong, did you comment only relate to single bathroom houses? If so I agree my comments were not relevant. As for American bathrooms, like UK ones, in my experience some have a bath, some have a shower, some have both.

bungeejumper wrote:
Wizard wrote:New builds must have an accessible toilet by law, so that means in a two storey house at least two, but even in pretty modest new builds an ensuite is now very common.

An ensuite? News to me, although I suppose that would depend on what you consider pretty modest. No room to swing a cat in most modern bedrooms, never mind drown it.

No, you misunderstand. New houses need an accessible toilet. In a two storey house with an upsatirs bathroom that means they have to have a downstairs toilet. My comment about ensuites was an additional point. So many new houses in our area in the SE of England, even modest ones, have three toilets. I agree that can compromise bedroom size, but other than extreme examples the market here supports losing bedroom space in exchange for an ensuite. That may be different in different parts of the country.

bungeejumper wrote:
Wizard wrote:So it is no suprise redevelopments of older houses are also heading that way. We are starting the redevelopment of an old 3 bed farm worker's cottage to which we will be adding one bedroom but two additional bathrooms.

I'm reliably informed that the relative value of an extra bedroom versus an extra bathroom varies across the country. In our area (SW England), it would reduce the utility value of a mid-sized family house too much, and the resale price would reflect that.

Subject to the above provisos, I wouldn't actually disagree with you about the desirability of additional washing facilities wherever they can feasibly be created. When we restored Bungee Towers, I put washbasins into nearly all the bedrooms, and that (plus a shower room, a bathroom and two loos) has proved to be a flexible solution even when we've had eight or ten house guests. Personally, I wouldn't dream of cramming a whole ensuite into a room of less than, say, 20 square metres. I've stayed in too many needlessly cramped bedrooms that would have worked better without the ensuite. Still, each to his own. ;)

BJ

I agree the market demands different things in different areas. But it is also the case that bathrooms are generally smaller than bedrooms, so it is not always a one-for-one trade off between them.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 13th, 2020, 9:01 pm

kiloran wrote:1 room plus one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camping-Hiki ... 7b42ace29a

--kiloran

Apparently there was a shortage of camping toilets earlier this year......couldn't buy one anywhere, all sold out. Don't know if the situation has improved.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » September 14th, 2020, 7:29 am

richlist wrote:Non of that helps me with just two options.

No. We'll just have to ignore fence-sitters for the purposes of this particular poll. Sorry !

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » September 14th, 2020, 8:07 am

2, especially if there is a handbasin in the loo

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 14th, 2020, 8:31 am

JohnB wrote:2, especially if there is a handbasin in the loo

Literally?

https://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-l ... 507_BQ.prd

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 14th, 2020, 8:48 am

I'm trying to decide whether that is vaguely disgusting, or one of the best ideas I've seen in a while?

One thing's for sure. You'd need a pretty big splashback to protect the wall behind the loo. Which in turn would raise alarming questions about the accuracy of your aim? :D

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2020, 11:29 am

bungeejumper wrote:
AF62 wrote:Literally?

https://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-l ... 507_BQ.prd

I'm trying to decide whether that is vaguely disgusting, or one of the best ideas I've seen in a while?

One thing's for sure. You'd need a pretty big splashback to protect the wall behind the loo. Which in turn would raise alarming questions about the accuracy of your aim? :D

BJ

Looks like the ideal solution for the smallest of small rooms.

As for splashback, just tile the whole room. If it's that small you'll probably want function (cheap) over elegance, and plain brilliant white should serve unless it gets direct sunlight.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 14th, 2020, 11:44 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Looks like the ideal solution for the smallest of small rooms.

Yes, kind of. But upon reflection, the disadvantages of this ingenious gizmo come into focus. The main one being that you'd have to be standing two feet away from the washbasin to be able to use it. ;) (Either that, or squatting backwards on the seat lid.)

A natural inclination might be to stand to the side of the toilet so that you could get close enough to it. But then, if you had enough room to be able to do that, then you'd have had enough room to fit a separate basin alongside the damn loo in the first place.
As for splashback, just tile the whole room. If it's that small you'll probably want function (cheap) over elegance, and plain brilliant white should serve unless it gets direct sunlight.

I like your thinking. How's your new place coming on?

BJ

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » September 14th, 2020, 11:59 am

bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

I've seen a lot of these in Japan, where they haven't gone full robot.

Easy to use, but very cold in the winter.

I always liked the idea.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 14th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Sussexlad wrote:
richlist wrote:Non of that helps me with just two options.

No. We'll just have to ignore fence-sitters for the purposes of this particular poll. Sorry !

That's a shame ...we'll just have to tolerate the occasional short sighted poll. Sorry!!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm

bungeejumper wrote:How's your new place coming on?

BJ

Gradually.

I'm eyeing up the big jobs: ones that'll have to be done professionally costing five-figure sums. Had a kitchen design chap round recently (recommended by next door - who he did a year and a half ago), and I've finally found someone who's going to survey the feasibility and economics of a heat pump to draw heat from the river. If both those projects go ahead I can dispense with gas altogether and go for a smart leccy tariff based on making the heat pump work hardest when it's cheapest.

Return to “Building and DIY”