Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Changing door handles

Does what it says on the tin
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Changing door handles

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 13th, 2020, 4:11 pm

I’m replacing all our internal door handles with new, and also replacing the tubular latches and striker plates.

I’m ok with mounting the handles – I’ll make a template/jig to guide me on drilling the screw holes – but I’d appreciate any tips on mounting the new latches and striker plates.

The existing holes are 22mm, whereas the new latches are rectangular, 25mm across the corners. This might be tricky to drill out, but chiselling will be very time consuming. There’s also the recesses for the plates on both latch and striker which need enlarging slightly – is stanley knife and chisel the best way or is there a special tool or jig available?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Changing door handles

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 13th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I think what you’re thinking of is called a morticer (or mortiser), but I don’t think you’d be able to use one in the way way you’re thinking.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 13th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Ryobi do a tool
how to vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR4nhp84Zpg
I've only ever used chisel and drill

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 14th, 2020, 10:22 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I’m replacing all ....the tubular latches and striker plates.

As a matter of curiousity, why?

Mallet and chisel. A Stanley knife is good for marking out.
You may also find that the fixing screw holes don't line up. Altogether a fiddly job for, what?

V8

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 14th, 2020, 11:01 am

88V8 wrote:
MyNameIsUrl wrote:I’m replacing all ....the tubular latches and striker plates.

As a matter of curiousity, why?

I'm replacing brass handles with chrome to be more modern, so I'm proposing changing the tubular latches and striker plates to match. The old ones work ok but are brass-finished and have untidy overpainting in places. Yes I agree it's a fiddly job! I have wondered about sanding the brass finish off the old latches/plates instead -they are steel with a brassy coating - but that's also fiddly and time-consuming.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » October 15th, 2020, 11:16 am

I have had to do something similar with two doors, very much learning as I went along.

I enlarged the latch hole using a chisel, not too difficult but a bit time-consuming. When fitting the latches and striker plates I screwed them in temporarily overlapping the recesses, then scored along the edges using a stanley knife and chiseled out to the correct size.

Are you committed to the larger latches? They are available in slightly different sizes, for example look at the Screwfix web site. If you have new handles with through-door fixing screws, don't make the mistake I made and buy latches without holes for the through-door screws. Also be aware the through-door screws may need cutting to length.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 15th, 2020, 7:44 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I'm replacing brass handles with chrome to be more modern...

Haha, I'm always striving to be more old-fashioned.

The latches will only be seen when the door is open... if you give them a good going over with wire wool you can paint them as part of the door, obviously keeping the paint off the roller.

If you must change them, bear in mind that the striker plate needs to be positioned such that the door does not ratlle. Old and new may not be a straight swap.

In the past when fitting old locks to doors and cupboards, I've had to spend hours making the strikers from solid brass. Sometimes one behaves as if time will go on for ever....

V8

Return to “Building and DIY”