Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What is this glue called please?

Does what it says on the tin
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

What is this glue called please?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 14th, 2020, 5:37 pm

My daughters aquarium has a phosphate reactor underneath which removes phosphates from the water and ultimately prevents algae growing in the fish tank.

I've changed the reactor medium today and noticed a very small leak. It's definitely the reactor that's leaking, not the connections.

Over about an hour there's about a ten pence piece of water escaping.

Here's a link to a similar reactor. If you look at photograph 2 you will be able to see the entry exit points. Each has a small piece of plastic inside a larger piece reducing the diameter to meet the flexible hose. It's this joint that is leaking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phosphate-Re ... xyhS9Tidw4

I'm going to try and fix the leak and was thinking of applying some of the adhesive used to make the reactor. I don't know what it's called though. I understand it fuses the plastic.

Can anyone tell me what the glue is called please and does anyone know if it's wise to try and use it for the repair please?

Thank you

AiY

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: What is this glue called please?

Postby quelquod » October 14th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Can’t tell the material accurately from a picture but you could try polystyrene cement as used in plastic model kits. Solvent based but lots of plastics aren’t readily glued. If it’s something like a hairline crack you could try Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 14th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Solvent-weld adhesive, probably. Used for sticking plastic waste pipe systems together.

Or AirFix model adhesive is the same stuff, I suspect.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » October 14th, 2020, 7:03 pm

The black piping looks like pressure piping, not waste piping.
Pressure piping is likely to be MDPE, uPVC or ABS. ABS is usually light grey, so probably not that. uPVC is generally dark grey. Only black one I recall is MDPE, which is used in domestic piping and can come in blue or black versions. MDPE is the choice plastic pipe for long runs of small-bore pipe <63mm. It is supplied in coils and is very tough, meaning that it can be buried. It is the main type of plastic pipe used in domestic water supply in the UK. A limitation of all types of PE pipe is that it cannot be cemented or glued, so compression fittings must be used.
This means using rubber O rings, like used in hose pipe fittings. A displaced or pinched O ring will leak. If the pipe is cracked, then all I can think of to seal it is to use a soldering iron to melt the plastic.

Have a close look at the ends of the fittings, and you may find a identifier. Often a little circle with some letters in it.

If its ABS or uPVC you can use PVC cement (e.g. Tangit).

Get advice from Wolseley outlets (formerly Plumb Center). You can buy smallish 250ml tubes of cement. rather than larger tins.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 14th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:AirFix model adhesive is the same stuff, I suspect.

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works fine on Airfix kits, applied to the joint faces with a small paint brush.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 14th, 2020, 7:24 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works fine on Airfix kits, applied to the joint faces with a small paint brush.

TJH

The cynic in me suspects if the OP asks for some of that in the local chemist, they will get blank looks or they will get the third degree about what they want it for... :D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 15th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Mike4 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

The cynic in me suspects if the OP asks for some of that in the local chemist, they will get blank looks or they will get the third degree about what they want it for... :D

I suspect that the days of going to your local pharmacy for odd chemicals is long past. A model shop might be a better bet.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 15th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Return to “Building and DIY”