Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Bosch Oven Light Removal

Does what it says on the tin
fisher
Lemon Slice

Re: Bosch Oven Light Removal

Postby fisher » October 25th, 2020, 5:17 pm

richlist wrote:
dealtn wrote:
richlist wrote: The secret is not to over tighten the glass cover and then it's very easy to remove next time.

Is it possible that's the reason the bulb fails so frequently?

I wondered how long it would be before someone suggested this. The answer is no, the glass cover is tightened sufficiently. But I know some people have a tendency to overdo anything.......wheel nuts on cars are often a good example of their over enthusiasm.

I think the "design fault" that causes this issue for us is to do with the proximity of the bulb to the oven fan. I wouldn't be surprised if constant vibration severely shortened the life of the bulbs. Not sure what the solution is.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 25th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Still can't get my Neff one out even with the removal cap (It's plastic and bends). Having the oven hot doesn't help.

For the time being I'll leave it, just have to shine a torch in to see what's happening! Really bad design.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 25th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Years ago I had a problem getting a cover off an oven lamp with the plastic tool supplied......it was far to flimsy.

So, as it was flat, I used it as a template and marked out & cut another from plywood......that didn't bend and did the trick.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 26th, 2020, 12:38 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Still can't get my Neff one out even with the removal cap (It's plastic and bends). Having the oven hot doesn't help.

For the time being I'll leave it, just have to shine a torch in to see what's happening! Really bad design.

Can you send me the tool then?

What a stupid design, why not just make the glass a shape so you can grip it?

As the glass only seems to be about £3 more when you buy the tool, I think the pipe grips are coming out to play.

Paul

Jpmoriarty

Postby Jpmoriarty » January 15th, 2022, 11:43 am

Just to add to this discussion, I was having an impossible time removing the cover on my Bosch HBM53R550 where the light is in top right corner. Turns out you turn the cover clockwise, not anticlockwise (as stated in the manual), but even then I was struggling. My solution was to heat over a bit, and then I gave the cover a good few whacks with a rubber mallet to try and dislodge it from whatever it was stuck on. Hit it vertically up and then on the side I could access as hard as I felt comfortable (and given the only other solution I could see was to smash the cover off, I have it quite a wellie!). Then turned clockwise with the plastic tool (which up til now had just kept slipping off) and it came away. Perhaps might provide others with some results too!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 15th, 2022, 1:26 pm

Oooh, I'd forgotten about this thread.

I actually got the glass out by using pipe grips, carefully. If I broke the glass I could buy the tool and new glass anyway.

Last week the element failed. The element is held in place with 2 screws that undo from the rear (thanks to youtube for telling me this, and how to remove the clever quick release doors which removes a lot of weight) so the oven has to come out. Fortunately there was enough slack on the cable to slide it out and on to my workmate, where I spun it 90 degrees to take the back off.

However, once the back is off, the case is so flimsy it deforms if you rest it on the workmate, so I needed an old cupboard door between them so the oven was sat on its "feet". A bit worrying until we did that, and it easily went back into the correct shape.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 15th, 2022, 3:44 pm

Have had to replace three or four bulbs in our oven over the years. Pipe wrench is the only way I've managed it (with a bit of towelling in between in case that helps).

It's getting the new bulb fitted that's always the harder task. The thread on the bulb appears to be smaller than needed and there's a sort of adaptor to increase the thread size. Why I have no idea.

Return to “Building and DIY”