Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Glazing for a summerhouse

Does what it says on the tin
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Glazing for a summerhouse

Postby Nimrod103 » November 17th, 2020, 10:47 pm

I have a 10 year old summerhouse (which to be honest is mainly used as a store for stuff). I don't know what the original windows were made of, some plastic stuff, which has now gone distinctly brown, and a couple have broken. What would be a good material to re glaze with, assuming I don't want glass.
Looking at pre cut acrylic, online, a 50cm square sheet is about £11-12, so the whole summerhouse might cost £200 to reglaze, which is astonishingly expensive.
Any suggestions?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Glazing for a summerhouse

Postby Mike4 » November 18th, 2020, 8:56 am

Frankly, glass is your best bet for economy. Always amazingly cheap to buy from a glass merchant.

Acrylic is probably what you already have, which turned brown.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 18th, 2020, 10:52 am

There's acrylic, and then there's polycarbonate, and then there's polycarbonate with a UV treatment that will stop it going yellow. :D

The choice is yours. It gets significantly cheaper if you order it online, but your measurements need to be exact. (And your right angles need to be right angles as well.) Forget about trying to cut it yourself, it's an absolute pig.

Glass is classier. It doesn't like sticks and stones thrown up by your lawnmower, but that's another story entirely. As I discovered. :|

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 18th, 2020, 3:04 pm

bungeejumper wrote:There's acrylic, and then there's polycarbonate, and then there's polycarbonate with a UV treatment that will stop it going yellow. :D

The choice is yours. It gets significantly cheaper if you order it online, but your measurements need to be exact. (And your right angles need to be right angles as well.) Forget about trying to cut it yourself, it's an absolute pig.

Glass is classier. It doesn't like sticks and stones thrown up by your lawnmower, but that's another story entirely. As I discovered. :|

BJ

You can cut acrylic sheet very easily with an angle grinder. This metal cutting disc that effectively melts its way through, then just file/sand the edges.

If you're fitting it like glass with quadrant beading then the edges get hidden.

But yes. glass can be cheaper, although you might want safety glass rather than greenhouse 3mm float glass, which obviously costs more.

Paul

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » November 18th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Do you actually need to re glaze it ? If it's just a storage building you could panel over the glazed bits and paint it.
One of my neighbours did that to his summer house and it looked fantastic.

Return to “Building and DIY”