Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Do I need to remove moss from my roof?

Does what it says on the tin
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Do I need to remove moss from my roof?

Postby Howard » November 26th, 2020, 5:08 pm

My house roof is in good condition (cement tiles) but, in places it is a bit mossy. I live in one of those roads where the neighbours are keen on house maintenance.

Several neighbours have had contractors remove moss. This has been done mechanically by physical scraping (not powerwashing).

Should I follow suit? I've looked for advice on the internet and this is split pretty evenly between yes and no. I am not concerned by the appearance of the moss because it isn't that thick or widely spread and, in my view, just makes the house look fairly mature.

We live next to a lot of trees so I have "hedgehogs" in the gutters and so no drainage problems. Gulleys are kept clear.

Comments or advice would be most welcome.

regards

Howard

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Do I need to remove moss from my roof?

Postby Arborbridge » November 26th, 2020, 5:28 pm

There are only two reasons I can think of: a) you are peed off with picking up the moss which (in may case) regularly drops in to the patio b) you think the gutter and downpipe will get blocked.

Otherwise, having it cleared probably causes more damage than it's worth.

Arb.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » November 26th, 2020, 5:38 pm

The only time I removed the (considerable) moss build up the roof was when the gutters started to block (couldn't fit hedgehogs).
If you are serious about moss removal use BAC50* rather than scraping. It kills the stuff and prevents regrowth for a few years. If you decide to scrape then the contractors will be a yearly occurrence.

*Benzalkonium Chloride, Seriously unpleasant stuff

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 26th, 2020, 5:53 pm

I removed the moss on my roof because the build up caused the roof to leak. As rainwater ran down the roof the moss caused a blockage and the backed up water leached beneath the tiles. Part of the problem is that my roof is not that steep meaning moss build up is more likely than for most rooves.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 26th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Does copper actually work as far as killing moss is concerned , or is it one of those urban myths?

I have read that a strip of copper, or perhaps a length of copper wire strung along the ridge of the roof will release enough copper salts when it rains on it to keep the roof clear.

Sounds a bit iffy to me, but does anyone know for sure?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm

staffordian wrote:Does copper actually work as far as killing moss is concerned , or is it one of those urban myths?

I have read that a strip of copper, or perhaps a length of copper wire strung along the ridge of the roof will release enough copper salts when it rains on it to keep the roof clear.

I works. It was used many years ago but the practice tailed off. I don't know why though.

AiY

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 26th, 2020, 6:57 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
staffordian wrote:Does copper actually work as far as killing moss is concerned , or is it one of those urban myths?

I works. It was used many years ago but the practice tailed off. I don't know why though.

AiY

Thieves?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 26th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Howard wrote:My house roof is in good condition (cement tiles) but, in places it is a bit mossy. I live in one of those roads where the neighbours are keen on house maintenance.

Several neighbours have had contractors remove moss. This has been done mechanically by physical scraping (not powerwashing).

Should I follow suit? I've looked for advice on the internet and this is split pretty evenly between yes and no. I am not concerned by the appearance of the moss because it isn't that thick or widely spread and, in my view, just makes the house look fairly mature.

We live next to a lot of trees so I have "hedgehogs" in the gutters and so no drainage problems. Gulleys are kept clear.

Comments or advice would be most welcome.

regards

Howard

I suspect the need to remove moss is no more than 'golf club syndrome', i.e. "my roof is cleaner than yours, you slovenly householder, you".

If the moss becomes so prolific it causes a problem, do report back.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Howard wrote:We live next to a lot of trees so I have "hedgehogs" in the gutters and so no drainage problems. Gulleys are kept clear.

What's your situation and experience with these? We have lots of trees and have been thinking about installing these on our block of flats, but have some reservations.

There's all the stuff that gets stuck in them and also the buildup of sludge beneath them (dirt and decomposing leaves & rotting moss off of the roof), necessitating period cleaning. I fitted one on our garage block a couple of years back (the gutters are only 8ft up, so reachable with a step ladder, and about as high as I'm happy to go before I start getting the willies :D) and after the first year I whipped them out to shake out all of the leaves and twigs stuck in them and there was a lot of such sludge that I needed to clean out. The second year I did the same but for some reason there was a lot less sludge.

Our neighbour has them on his house (gutters at around 16ft up) and he gets a man-with-tall-ladder round every year to do the same. Ours are even higher up (probably 20ft) and while it'd be good to save on the £200 a go gutter cleaning bill that might not be worth it if we end up paying more to uninstall, clean and refit them each year....

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » November 26th, 2020, 8:49 pm

While NFRC is a dedicated roofing trade association that has been around for over 120 years we have never recognised the practice of moss removal or roof painting as a true roofing discipline. The reason being, in most instances, moss on roof tiles is rarely a problem and only needs to be removed if it is blocking gutters, outlets and other drainage points on the roof. Most ‘techniques’ that we have come across to remove moss, are often achieved by ‘violent’ means such as power-washing, which may cause damage to the roof, especially when combined with unnecessary foot traffic often leading to cracked or broken roof tiles.
https://www.nfrc.co.uk/article/2012/09/07/moss-on-your-roof-advice

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 26th, 2020, 9:06 pm

PhaseThree wrote:If you are serious about moss removal use BAC50* rather than scraping. It kills the stuff and prevents regrowth for a few years. If you decide to scrape then the contractors will be a yearly occurrence.

Well https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/ agrees and really likes it.

But https://mistralni.co.uk/products/c10-c1 ... hloride-ba says, "BAC50 is no longer permitted for the use as, or in preparations for the treatment of moss as moss has been reclassified as a plant and comes under the plant protection legislation." :o

I suspect that refers to the plant protection products legislation, although of a quick google I can't find any reference to that and BAC 50 and moss.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 26th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Soda crystals kill moss on my decking and paths. Sometimes the crystals form little clumps a catapult could fire it onto the roof.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 26th, 2020, 9:27 pm

kempiejon wrote:Soda crystals kill moss on my decking and paths. Sometimes the crystals form little clumps a catapult could fire it onto the roof.

You have decking and paths on your roof?

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » November 26th, 2020, 9:45 pm

mc2fool wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:If you are serious about moss removal use BAC50* rather than scraping. It kills the stuff and prevents regrowth for a few years. If you decide to scrape then the contractors will be a yearly occurrence.

Well https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/ agrees and really likes it.

But https://mistralni.co.uk/products/c10-c1 ... hloride-ba says, "BAC50 is no longer permitted for the use as, or in preparations for the treatment of moss as moss has been reclassified as a plant and comes under the plant protection legislation." :o

I suspect that refers to the plant protection products legislation, although of a quick google I can't find any reference to that and BAC 50 and moss.

You're correct, BAC50 is no longer licensed as a moss killer. Technically it now targets the Algae hiding underneath the moss and disinfects the surface on which the moss is growing, Unfortunately no-one has informed the moss which still dies, but now as an unintended side effect of the BAC50 application.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 26th, 2020, 11:06 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Howard wrote:We live next to a lot of trees so I have "hedgehogs" in the gutters and so no drainage problems. Gulleys are kept clear.

What's your situation and experience with these? We have lots of trees and have been thinking about installing these on our block of flats, but have some reservations.

There's all the stuff that gets stuck in them and also the buildup of sludge beneath them (dirt and decomposing leaves & rotting moss off of the roof), necessitating period cleaning. I fitted one on our garage block a couple of years back (the gutters are only 8ft up, so reachable with a step ladder, and about as high as I'm happy to go before I start getting the willies :D) and after the first year I whipped them out to shake out all of the leaves and twigs stuck in them and there was a lot of such sludge that I needed to clean out. The second year I did the same but for some reason there was a lot less sludge.

Our neighbour has them on his house (gutters at around 16ft up) and he gets a man-with-tall-ladder round every year to do the same. Ours are even higher up (probably 20ft) and while it'd be good to save on the £200 a go gutter cleaning bill that might not be worth it if we end up paying more to uninstall, clean and refit them each year....

After 40 years in construction I've not got a great deal of experience with "hedgehogs" I'm afraid. However, I've Googled the pricks prickly things. My initial thoughts aren't great. I suspect they will increase maintenance not decrease it. Without a doubt they will reduce water flow (and by presumption) the cleaning effects of rainwater in the gutter. Houses need maintenance. And I don't think the little pricks on the hedgehog will reduce that. I would never suggest cleaning roof tiles. Roof tiles do not form the water barrier on most "modern" homes. That is done by the felt.

I'd suggest the route forward is do nothing to the gutters and accept a maintenance fee.

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 26th, 2020, 11:59 pm

As far as moss on the roof tiles is concerned, I have this on part of my fairly extensive roof (three bedrooms plus three bathrooms, a kitchen, livingroom and study) I hate moss because it retains moisture on the roof and stops rainwater running off smoothly. I think it needs to be removed regularly (annually?) Nothing to do with 'My roof is cleaner than yours'.

The answer of course is to remove the cause which seems to be overhanging branches from trees (and probably the absence of sunshine) I am looking to do something about the former; I can do nothing about the latter.

Dod

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 27th, 2020, 12:15 am

mc2fool wrote:

You asked about the hedgehogs. I had them fitted in 2012. I'd give them a fairly positive recommendation. Good points are that they do stop leaves blocking the gutter downpipes and, in my view, don't restrict the water flow very much as it all goes underneath. However, moss does tend to grow on the top of them after a few years. I took them out myself about 2014 and washed out the gutters. Mrs H isn't keen on my escapades up long ladders so on the next occasions, in 2016 and 2019, I got a roofer to do this. (Cost around £250 to clean around 80m of gutters. Since then I've cleaned the lower gutters and just watched the high ones grow a bit more moss. I have approached a local tradesmen to remove and clean them in the next few weeks.

Before they were fitted, leaves from the substantial number of trees around us occasionally blocked the top of the downpipes causing overflows during heavy rain. In those days I shinned up a ladder to clear them. Our house is not overshadowed and gets lots of sun on the roof - at least in Summer.

So the honest answer to your question is: they are an improvement on unguarded gutters but they aren't a perfect solution.

regards

Howard

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 27th, 2020, 12:31 am

Howard wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

You asked about the hedgehogs. I had them fitted in 2012. I'd give them a fairly positive recommendation. Good points are that they do stop leaves blocking the gutter downpipes and, in my view, don't restrict the water flow very much as it all goes underneath. However, moss does tend to grow on the top of them after a few years. I took them out myself about 2014 and washed out the gutters. Mrs H isn't keen on my escapades up long ladders so on the next occasions, in 2016 and 2019, I got a roofer to do this. (Cost around £250 to clean around 80m of gutters. Since then I've cleaned the lower gutters and just watched the high ones grow a bit more moss. I have approached a local tradesmen to remove and clean them in the next few weeks.

Before they were fitted, leaves from the substantial number of trees around us occasionally blocked the top of the downpipes causing overflows during heavy rain. In those days I shinned up a ladder to clear them. Our house is not overshadowed and gets lots of sun on the roof - at least in Summer.

So the honest answer to your question is: they are an improvement on unguarded gutters but they aren't a perfect solution.

regards

Howard

Great post

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 12:43 am

Howard wrote:[

regards

Howard

I understand the point and I have to say that you are lucky to have local tradesmen who will do this job. I am happy to pay but simply cannot get a roofer interested in what I suppose to be a day's work for a couple of young lads. I would almost be prepared to cut down the trees that cause the problem!

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 27th, 2020, 9:37 am

We had hedgehogs in the gutters at work. Every year they would be removed and the gutters cleaned of sludge (and there was a lot), so not sure if that was just a maintenance contract that was unrelated.

On the dormer conversion at home we had those clip in plastic meshes on the top floor. After 5 years I climbed up to clean the soffits and fascias (frmthe flat roof), unclipped them, cleaned the plants out from the sludge, and replaced them. 5 years later I did the same, but left them off as the one on the end had started buzzing in strong wind. On the lower gutters I just go up a small ladder every year and clean the moss out from our very mossy steep roof.

Basically, you need to clean the gutters periodically, no matter what you have in or on them.

What I have done is fit some of the plastic grate over the top of where the downpipes are to stop moss rolling down the roof into them.

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”