Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Do I need to remove moss from my roof?

Does what it says on the tin
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Do I need to remove moss from my roof?

Postby sg31 » November 27th, 2020, 10:33 am

Dod101 wrote:
I understand the point and I have to say that you are lucky to have local tradesmen who will do this job. I am happy to pay but simply cannot get a roofer interested in what I suppose to be a day's work for a couple of young lads. I would almost be prepared to cut down the trees that cause the problem!

Dod

Try googling 'gutter cleaning'. In this area there are a number of companies advertising the service. Cleaning gutters out and also cleaning the outside for between £100 and £150.

Another option would be a window cleaner, the type who uses a hose with a brush and water jets.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... r+cleaning

Searching in your area will bring up local companies

meldrewlives
Lemon Pip

Postby meldrewlives » November 27th, 2020, 10:39 am

In my experience the problem with moss is that when it freezes it causes roof tiles to spall and overtime that results in tiles breaking and needing to be replaced.

I have also tried the copper strip approach and it seems to work, the only problem being getting up there to install it!

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » November 27th, 2020, 10:40 am

DrFfybes wrote:What I have done is fit some of the plastic grate over the top of where the downpipes are to stop moss rolling down the roof into them.
(snipped)

I have also inserted what I would describe as a wire mesh ball in the shape of a tennis ball into the top of the down pipe
see for example *https://www.easymerchant.co.uk/guttering/plastic/112mm-half-round/63mm-wire-balloon/
Yes, they cause leaves and moss to back up along the gutter, which needs cleaning out periodically, but it stops the top of the downpipe (which annoyingly has an elbow in it which causes the blockage) getting blocked, and the water flows along the gutter and down the downpipe, and doesn't overflow the gutter in heavy rain.
There'll always be some maintenance, and IMHO, this is the best way of reducing the maintenance and reducing the overflow of water during heavy rain.
I prefer the wire version of the "tennis ball" to the plastic one. The plastic ones seem to degrade quicker. The wire ones can be slightly harder to insert.

YL

*: I have no connection with the above website, nor have any reason to suggest its products are better than anyone else's, it was just a useful illustration that Google offered.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 10:44 am

sg31 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
I understand the point and I have to say that you are lucky to have local tradesmen who will do this job. I am happy to pay but simply cannot get a roofer interested in what I suppose to be a day's work for a couple of young lads. I would almost be prepared to cut down the trees that cause the problem!

Dod

Try googling 'gutter cleaning'. In this area there are a number of companies advertising the service. Cleaning gutters out and also cleaning the outside for between £100 and £150.

Another option would be a window cleaner, the type who uses a hose with a brush and water jets.

A brush and water jets are a disaster for tiles as I know only too well. I have had that done in the past. I end up with a lot of broken tiles and a surface on the tiles which is not very good and gets very brittle over time. We too have companies who will do this but they do not appear to have the interest or experience to do it carefully and properly.

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 27th, 2020, 10:52 am

Or just spray an effective moss killer on the roof. That won't damage the tiles

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 10:56 am

scrumpyjack wrote:Or just spray an effective moss killer on the roof. That won't damage the tiles

I will probably try that and see how it goes.

Dod

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 27th, 2020, 11:17 am

Reading your posts has made me further reflect on the effect of hedgehogs.

In my particular situation with a combination of heavy leaf fall in Autumn and moss on the roof, the hedgehogs do get a fairly strong but qualified recommendation. Obviously the comments below may not apply to those with houses unaffected by lots of large trees nearby.

Since they have been installed we have noticed quite a lot of moss rolls down the roof and drops on the patio/paths at certain times of the year. We didn't notice this before hedgehogs were added to the gutters. Sitting in the garden in the summer, I have been amused to see that pigeons are very helpful in removing moss from the roof. They appear to be finding insects underneath and they are the main culprits in prising off the blobs of moss.

From memory, prior to 2012, the moss rolled into the gutters and, together with rotting leaves and sprouting plants, formed an evil-smelling sludge which occasionally blocked the downpipes, particularly the bends at the top. I had to dismantle them to rinse out the sludge. Now, moss rolling down the roof usually bounces off the hedgehog and drops to the ground below. So a disadvantage is - lots of moss on the patio at certain times of the year. This is easy to sweep up.

After a year or two, the hedgehogs here build up a layer of moss on top which, ironically means all rolling moss bounces off down to the ground.

So this is the reason, I suspect that, since fitting, we haven't had a serious overflow from the gutters nor blocked downpipes. But lots of loose moss on the patio. It seems sensible maintenance to remove the hedgehogs and flick the gunge off, say every two years. I do this myself on the lower gutters and can see that there is virtually no sludge underneath, even though the moss on the top is quite thick.

Isn't it fascinating, when one is a bit of a geek, retired and in lockdown, to consider all the implications of guttering? :)

regards

Howard
Last edited by Howard on November 27th, 2020, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 11:31 am

Howard wrote:Isn't it fascinating, when one is a bit of a geek, retired and in lockdown, to consider all the implications of guttering? :)

regards

Howard

I know the feeling re guttering. Fortunately, my late wife insisted when we moved house about 15 years ago that we move to a single story one, mostly for ease of getting around indoors (no stairs etc) but it has the advantage that I can clean windows and guttering myself. The disadvantage is that it has a very extensive roof and as a consequence a lot of guttering. I need to clear the guttering and a couple of downpipes regularly because they get blocked quite easily. I need to investigate some sort of guard/hedgehog I think.

This thread has given me a couple of things to think about. Thanks to all.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 27th, 2020, 11:44 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:It works. It was used many years ago but the practice tailed off. I don't know why though.

Scaffolding requirement, innit? Can't go up there on that ridge wivvout the full safety works.

Actually, I have no problem with that. ;) We had the copper wire thing done more than twenty years ago by a very well regarded roofer who sent his apprentice up there in a pair of trainers. 45 feet to the ridge, and our roof has quite a slope. We held our breath and hoped he knew what he was doing. Fortunately he did.

And guess what? the copper didn't work. But the blackbirds did, and they still do. Come February or March, they'll be up there digging up the moss for worms and insects. If I get hedgehogs in the gutters (which is rare), I give them a prod with a bamboo cane so that I can collect them all in one place. Or, where suitable, I just jet them out with a pressure washer.

BAC 50 (or its near-equivalent DDAC 50) is indeed nasty stuff, even in diluted form. Full facial protection, especially eyes, and keep pets and children well away. Not kind to birds either. I'd rather have the moss, TBH.

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 27th, 2020, 11:53 am

The woodpigeons seem to do a good job of removing the moss and dropping it on the ground.

I haven't inspected the gutters, but one of ours has been replaced after 43 years, so I may be able to see if there is any change. I had one of the wire mesh thingies at the top of my down pipe under the trees. We keep getting postcards through the door from prople advertising gutter cleaning.

TJH

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 27th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Howard wrote:You asked about the hedgehogs. ...

Thanks. Yours and other replies have confirmed what I thought. Whereas with our garage block the hedgehogs are held in place just by the bottommost row of tiles and can be easily whipped out, cleaned and refitted, on the main building the situation is such that they'd have to be clipped down, which would make removal and refitting a much longer (i.e. expensive) job. Hmmm.....

yorkshirelad1 wrote:I have also inserted what I would describe as a wire mesh ball in the shape of a tennis ball into the top of the down pipe
see for example *https://www.easymerchant.co.uk/guttering/plastic/112mm-half-round/63mm-wire-balloon/
Yes, they cause leaves and moss to back up along the gutter, which needs cleaning out periodically, but it stops the top of the downpipe (which annoyingly has an elbow in it which causes the blockage) getting blocked, and the water flows along the gutter and down the downpipe, and doesn't overflow the gutter in heavy rain.

We have the same situation, with 2ft soffits and downpipe elbows to match and much the same issue; it'd only take a twig to get jammed in the elbow and then the leaves that followed would pile up and block the downpipe up pretty much totally. We too put exactly that kind of wire balloon in the top of the downpipes and, of course, the leaves do wash along the gutter and pile up at it, drastically reducing the rate of flow, and in heavy rain the gutters do get to the point of almost overflowing, although have yet to actually do so (that I've spotted at least).

But at least there's still just about enough flow left, unlike when the elbows got blocked, and whereas cleaning the elbows required getting a man-with-ladder round to do it, with these I can clean two of the three by leaning out of dormers with a scrapper on a long pole and some awkward faffing ....

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 12:46 pm

All of this reminds me that my rainwater coming from the roof gutters simply goes into soakaways and not surprisingly, over about the 25 years or so since these were installed, with some of the downpipes, the underground pipe leading to the soakaway is obviously blocked with muck and silt and no amount of rodding seems to work. What is the answer to that? Get it dug up and then cleaned and reinstated?

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 27th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:All of this reminds me that my rainwater coming from the roof gutters simply goes into soakaways and not surprisingly, over about the 25 years or so since these were installed, with some of the downpipes, the underground pipe leading to the soakaway is obviously blocked with muck and silt and no amount of rodding seems to work. What is the answer to that? Get it dug up and then cleaned and reinstated?

Dod

I'd suggest retro fitting trapped gullies which will remove silts and solids. That should be cheaper than removing and replacing. Obviously you will have to clean the gullies out annually and you may have to replace the blocked leg of drainage if you can't "jet" the blockage.

AiY

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 27th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:All of this reminds me that my rainwater coming from the roof gutters simply goes into soakaways and not surprisingly, over about the 25 years or so since these were installed, with some of the downpipes, the underground pipe leading to the soakaway is obviously blocked with muck and silt and no amount of rodding seems to work. What is the answer to that? Get it dug up and then cleaned and reinstated?

Dod

Get it dug up and then cleaned and reinstated. After doing that at the MiL's we've installed hedgehogs to stop the soakaway filling with leaves. I wait to see how often we'll need to attend to the hogs - this is their second winter and they've had no attention so far. All of them are clipped down, as the wind would take them if they were not. Don't ask me how I know that.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 27th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Digging it up is a bit drastic ... try seeing what your local jet vac services say. https://www.google.com/search?q=jet+vac+services+uk

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 2:50 pm

It is amazing what I do not know but I am inclined to think that power jetting the drain might be a bit drastic itself because I do not know how much pressure it would stand nor do I know what the soakaway consists of. Should I? One soakaway in particular needs attention because it takes a large volume of water as two parts of the roof come together making a big valley down which water cascades with almost any rain. Hand rodding the drain does no good and I guess it must be pretty solid.

Another matter that I should be looking at.

Thanks for the responses.

Dod

Johnspenceuk

Postby Johnspenceuk » November 27th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Dod

Hi
What you should have between the downpipe/drainage & soakaway is a silt trap I found a neighbours under a concrete paving (flag?) slab if you have no silt trap it could be your soakaway has silted up over the years.

John

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Dod101 wrote:
sg31 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

A brush and water jets are a disaster for tiles as I know only too well. I have had that done in the past. I end up with a lot of broken tiles and a surface on the tiles which is not very good and gets very brittle over time. We too have companies who will do this but they do not appear to have the interest or experience to do it carefully and properly.

Dod

I wasn't suggesting using anything on tiles. I was commenting on gutter cleanning.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2020, 5:17 pm

sg31 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
sg31 wrote:

Dod

I wasn't suggesting using anything on tiles. I was commenting on gutter cleanning.

Thanks. Misread that. I clean the gutters myself. A mucky but not difficult job.

Dod

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » November 27th, 2020, 5:49 pm

We have lots of moss on our bungallow roof, it comes and goes by itself. In the summer it dries off and gets washed off by heavy rain. We are also surrounded by large trees and leaves were a problem bocking the gutters. First I tried plastic mesh but the leaves just lay on top and the rainwater ran over them. I then found hedgehogs and would not be without. I remove them twice a year in a dry spell and shake them clean and also clean out any dried sludge from the gutters. However, the house is built into a hillside, meaning that the gutters on one side are maybe 6 metres up. To clear those I grit my teeth and use an extention ladder to clean them out once a year. (Preferably when my wife is out, ("Carefull, don't fall, it is too high!"). Makes me nervous. The year we moved in, rainwater was running off that gutter and when I got up there to look, it was packed with living material and there was growth coming out of the downpipe which was missing a protective basket. I had to remove the downpipe which was solid and also clean out the drain pipe into the soakaway. We also put in a loft conversion whith Velux windows through which I climb to access the roof and clear out the valleys.

john

Return to “Building and DIY”