Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

NEW ROOF

Does what it says on the tin
SwissPaul
Lemon Pip

NEW ROOF

Postby SwissPaul » January 7th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Terraced House 1950's and think I need a new roof and guttering. Am hitting 63 and dont want to be faffing about in my dotage. Roof is a terracotta type of tile and the guttering is concreted into the building. Toilet pipe extends through guttering and is of a cast type.

Also am thinking of getting a roof window put in as well.

So overall any advice - or advice on best type of tiles - or yes put in / no dont put in a window.

Am based in the north west so if you know of any reputable firms then can you let me know.

thanks

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Re: NEW ROOF

Postby tacpot12 » January 7th, 2021, 9:33 pm

It is worth taking up references for the roofer you are considering using.

You will probably have to make improvements to the insulation in the roof due to building regulations.

You should have a contract that specifies that the responsibilities, including who will notify building control, who will be responsible for arranging and paying for scaffold, and who will be responsible for temporary weatherproofing while the work is in progress. The contract should also specify how long the work will take.

Try to get a quotation for the work, rather than an estimate, and refer to the quotation in the contract.

Johnspenceuk

Postby Johnspenceuk » January 8th, 2021, 8:28 am

SwissPaul wrote:Terraced House 1950's and think I need a new roof and guttering. Am hitting 63 and dont want to be faffing about in my dotage. Roof is a terracotta type of tile and the guttering is concreted into the building. Toilet pipe extends through guttering and is of a cast type.

So overall any advice - or advice on best type of tiles - or yes put in / no dont put in a window.

Am based in the north west so if you know of any reputable firms then can you let me know.

thanks

Hi I don't think replacing roof tiles is needs a building warrant therfore B/Control would would not need to be contacted. If it was built in the 50's I would suggest its likely to be clay Rosemary tiles on the roof currently which if replacing with the same is a very expensive option but many choices of concrete tile replacements exist with a wide range of prices. You can probably fit a small roof window velux & Fakro are two of a number of manufacturers. A new flashing around the soil/toilet pipe would be required. If any neighbours have had their roofs tiles replaced in the last few years it would be worth seeking their advice/ experience for a replacement tile and or reliable tiler/roofer.

Regards

John

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 8th, 2021, 8:43 am

Johnspenceuk wrote:Hi I don't think replacing roof tiles is needs a building warrant therfore B/Control would would not need to be contacted.

I don't think we know for certain that new tiles is the full extent of the planned work, the thread title suggests the whole roof is to be re-constructed. Also, adding a new window certainly requires BR approval.

It was in the 50s that building regulations were first introduced IIRC in response to appallingly low standards of construction and building*, so the OP's roof may or may not have been built to a standard/been inspected or may have escaped it, and perhaps the tiles AND the timbers need replacing.

* This is where the term "gerry built" comes from - post war homes being thrown up as quickly and cheaply as possible after "gerry's" bombing campaigns destroyed so many. The building regulations introduced a series of basic minimum construction standards.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 8th, 2021, 8:51 am

SwissPaul wrote:Terraced House 1950's and think I need a new roof and guttering. Am hitting 63 and dont want to be faffing about in my dotage. Roof is a terracotta type of tile and the guttering is concreted into the building. Toilet pipe extends through guttering and is of a cast type.

thanks

1. Do you have a photograph of the roof please?
  2. If not can you describe the tile or better still find a picture on a website to link to please?
  3. Why do you think you need a skylight?
  4. Do you live in a conservation area?
  5. If you can't get a picture of the roof do you know what percentage of the tiles could be reused?
Some immediate thoughts subject to the answers above. Many old "clay" tiles can now be purchased made of concrete. This is a cost issue. However, it can have a bearing in the overall load of tiles on the roof and the timbers may not be able to support the additional weight. So some thought and planning may be required.

If you can reuse the existing tiles or most of them this will reduce costs. A fully breathable felt is worth considering. These modern felts allow air to circulate but maintain a watertight integrity. And such will allow you to reuse tiles with some confidence.

If the purpose of the rooflight is to allow you to see stored items in the dark it's highly likely not to be worth it and I'd stick with a robust torch or the like.

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 8th, 2021, 9:15 am

Mike4 wrote:I don't think we know for certain that new tiles is the full extent of the planned work, the thread title suggests the whole roof is to be re-constructed. Also, adding a new window certainly requires BR approval.

For what it's worth, a few years back I got formal planning notice through my door. A neighbour two or three of doors away had applied for planning permission to install a dormer window: did I object? Evidently that level of works - turning the loft into a habitable room - needed permission.

(For the record, I had no objection, but put in a polite request that we be spared a ghetto-blaster when the works took place. The neighbour reassured me on the matter).

Johnspenceuk

Postby Johnspenceuk » January 8th, 2021, 11:23 am

Mike4 wrote:
Johnspenceuk wrote:Hi I don't think replacing roof tiles is needs a building warrant therfore B/Control would would not need to be contacted.

I don't think we know for certain that new tiles is the full extent of the planned work, the thread title suggests the whole roof is to be re-constructed. Also, adding a new window certainly requires BR approval.

It was in the 50s that building regulations were first introduced IIRC in response to appallingly low standards of construction and building*, so the OP's roof may or may not have been built to a standard/been inspected or may have escaped it, and perhaps the tiles AND the timbers need replacing.

* This is where the term "gerry built" comes from - post war homes being thrown up as quickly and cheaply as possible after "gerry's" bombing campaigns destroyed so many. The building regulations introduced a series of basic minimum construction standards.

Hi Mike
I take your point the post describes a new roof but further down refers to terracotta tiles I didnt take that to mean a new roof structure just re-tiling perhaps SwissPaul could clarify?

Regards

John

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 8th, 2021, 12:54 pm

A few photographs would help.

I've just retiled my property which is detached and built in 1965. The tiles weren't actually in bad condition but looked unsightly and as I was doing a big first floor extension which involved stripping back much of the roof, it seemed a reasonable thing to do. The tiles on my roof were Redland 49's.

I was actuallt surprised at the condition of the timbers, they were fine, the nail in the lathes were rusting so they were renailed and any lathes that looked even the slightest dodgy were replaced.

I'd be interested to hear why the op thinks his roof replacing. It might just need a roofer up there for a day or two to sort out a few minor problems or he may well be correct and it may need much more than that.

Concrete Tiles are much heavier than clay tiles so the op might find it wise to stick with clay if that is what is fitted. To switch might involve beefing up the whole roof structure.

Unless the op can find a builder of roofer he trusts it might be worth getting a structural engineer/ surveyor to have a look and report on the works needed.

SwissPaul
Lemon Pip

Postby SwissPaul » January 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Guys, thanks very much for the advivce and hints. yes its just a re-tiling job really and the tiles are as ascribed by john (orange clay tiles). Yes I would like re-use but think I will be 'persuaded' to go with another type. I was just wondering with all the modern technology whether concrete or another type of tile would be better.
I like to look at the lifecycle and dont want to overpay, me and mrs are of the opinion that really with our time left (20 years) that we dont want to be paying for soemthing over the odds but then again dont want something that is so cheao that it blows off on the first gale.

The rooflight is twofold; one I would like to use it for a telescope and a bit of night sky watching, secondly .... am overlooked and fed up of it and so want to give my overlookers a taste of their own medicine, not nice I admit but c'est la vie

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 8th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Its worth considering a solar panel installation at the same time, if the aspects are right.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 8th, 2021, 8:44 pm

SwissPaul wrote:Guys, thanks very much for the advivce and hints. yes its just a re-tiling job really and the tiles are as ascribed by john (orange clay tiles). Yes I would like re-use but think I will be 'persuaded' to go with another type. I was just wondering with all the modern technology whether concrete or another type of tile would be better.
I like to look at the lifecycle and dont want to overpay, me and mrs are of the opinion that really with our time left (20 years) that we dont want to be paying for soemthing over the odds but then again dont want something that is so cheao that it blows off on the first gale.

The rooflight is twofold; one I would like to use it for a telescope and a bit of night sky watching, secondly .... am overlooked and fed up of it and so want to give my overlookers a taste of their own medicine, not nice I admit but c'est la vie

The best advice I can give is reuse the existing tiles and replace those that are broken. If you were to use concrete tiles (which should be cheaper) then the weight placed on the roof timbers may become an issue and the cost of a structural engineer calculating it all and "possible" additional timbers will negate the savings and cause other technical issues. Often local roofing merchants will keep old tiles in stock for this kind of work. A good roofing contractor will advise.

If you specify a fully breathable felt this will overcome the need to vent the roof void and also maintain the watertight integrity of the roof.

AiY

malakoffee
Lemon Pip

Postby malakoffee » January 8th, 2021, 9:54 pm

SwissPaul wrote:The rooflight is twofold; one I would like to use it for a telescope and a bit of night sky watching, secondly .... am overlooked and fed up of it and so want to give my overlookers a taste of their own medicine, not nice I admit but c'est la vie

NightSkyWatching - Nah, that won't work . . . .
Window closed ! No way : glass & dirt
Window open ! Thermal disturbance & very limited field of vision.

Revenge . . . . you might just be upping the ante there . . . .but your choice . . . . .

A lot of the bungalows around here have had their clay tiles replaced by cement - supposedly an improvement - until the structural problems started to manifest, many years later as they were significantly heavier.
Also the gritty surface of said cement tiles are a brilliant anchor point for moss. While the smooth clays seem to be much clearer of moss.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 9th, 2021, 10:27 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The best advice I can give is reuse the existing tiles and replace those that are broken. If you were to use concrete tiles (which should be cheaper) then the weight placed on the roof timbers may become an issue and the cost of a structural engineer calculating it all and "possible" additional timbers will negate the savings and cause other technical issues. Often local roofing merchants will keep old tiles in stock for this kind of work. A good roofing contractor will advise.

If you specify a fully breathable felt this will overcome the need to vent the roof void and also maintain the watertight integrity of the roof.

AiY

I agree completely about sticking with the existing tiles rather than going over to concrete. I've been called in many times to sort out roofs that have sagged in the middle where slates or clays have been replaced with concrete tiles. They are much heavier.

You may want to replace them like for like and accept the extra cost but the majority of the ones you have aren't particularly old in tile terms. They've been around about 150 years and I know buildings from around that time that still have the originals. Admittedly they now look old but they still do the job. Any competent roofer will use the best of what you have and put them on the front of the house, any new ones can be used on the rear roof. Personally I'd buy in some second hand ones that are as near as possible the same age and weathering so they look very similar.

Breathable felt is now normal practice, I don't like it much but I'm old fashioned and behind the times. I think most roofers would now use it as it makes the job more cost effective overall.

Be aware that if you decide you want a different colour tile you might need planning permission. I certainly did but I'm not sure all councils will insist on it.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

Johnspenceuk

Postby Johnspenceuk » January 9th, 2021, 11:45 am

thanks

Hi Paul plenty advice for you to consider I will try to clarify some points I am assuming you are in the middle of the terraced block?

Tiles laid

Rosemary 60 per m2 coverage weight per M2 77kg lifespan depending on exposure about 50 years

Redland lain tile 60 per m 2 coverage weight 75kg per m2 lifespan 40years IIRC

Marley Edgemere or Redland equivalent 10per m 2 coverage weight 50kg per m2 lifespan 40+ years

Reusing the existing if you can be sure you will get another 20 years out of them is I agree the cheapest option it can also help at the party walls fitting

an edgemere/stonewold type tile the surface might/would finish higher than the adjacent property I think so some form of flashing (GRP would be cheapest) but the roofer would advise on options.
I think your roof will be constructed from loose timbers with rafters @16/18" centres so fitting a roof window wider than 14-16" would require
trimming to get a clear usable opening up to 34" say. Loads of videos on you tube.
As mentioned roofs do sag my experience has been that homeowners removing internal rafter supports is more common cause of sagging.

I spent most of my apprenticeship in the 70s building roofs literally hundreds and retired a couple of years ago after 50 years in the building trade in various roles, I have tiled/slated a few also. So am speaking from experience. If you think I can be of further help please ask.

John

Return to “Building and DIY”