Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Data cable for power?

Does what it says on the tin
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Data cable for power?

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 12th, 2021, 2:14 pm

I have a pair of new wall lights to put up. No pre-existing fittings for them. Ideally I'd get a sparky in and have him/her connect them to the main lighting circuit, but I'm not sure that counts as essential under lockdown rules.

So I want to mount them in front of the wall to a regular power point: I can put up a small backing piece and cut holes in that for the wires. Until I have a sparky in to do the builtin wiring and other jobs on the non-urgent list.

I thought I had loads of spare wire for the job. And indeed, I do have a huge length of white (ideal) cable that certainly looks right for a light (low load) among the spares-of-long-forgotten-origin. But looking at it, it's Alcatel Cat 5 EC. Data cable.

Given that in an era of wifi the data cable is obsolete, can I redeploy it for power to my lights?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: Data cable for power?

Postby MrFoolish » March 12th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Unless you know that cable is rated for mains voltage and whatever current your lights require, I'd be very cautious about it.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 12th, 2021, 2:42 pm

No problem with the leads down to the power point, as long as they're tidily laid. But cable's cheap, and disputes with your insurance company are expensive. Why risk it?

BJ

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » March 12th, 2021, 11:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I have a pair of new wall lights to put up. No pre-existing fittings for them. Ideally I'd get a sparky in and have him/her connect them to the main lighting circuit, but I'm not sure that counts as essential under lockdown rules.

So I want to mount them in front of the wall to a regular power point: I can put up a small backing piece and cut holes in that for the wires. Until I have a sparky in to do the builtin wiring and other jobs on the non-urgent list.

I thought I had loads of spare wire for the job. And indeed, I do have a huge length of white (ideal) cable that certainly looks right for a light (low load) among the spares-of-long-forgotten-origin. But looking at it, it's Alcatel Cat 5 EC. Data cable.

Given that in an era of wifi the data cable is obsolete, can I redeploy it for power to my lights?

Do the job properly, or don't do it at all.

Using data cable for mains voltages is asking for trouble.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 12th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

Hilaire Belloc

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 13th, 2021, 12:40 am

A quick Google suggests 125V at 2.2A. Combining strands gives more current carrying capacity but it is still not rated for mains voltage.

Lockdown rules do not prevent you from getting an electrician to do the job unless you are shielding or self-isolating.

Julian F. G. W.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 13th, 2021, 12:45 am

After a rabbit hole, I discovered CAT5 must be between 22-24 American Wire Gauge, and that means its 10 second fuse current is 29-41A, so you could, BUT DON'T!!!!! I am not an electrician. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » March 13th, 2021, 11:14 pm

jfgw wrote:Lockdown rules do not prevent you from getting an electrician to do the job unless you are shielding or self-isolating.

That may depend where in the UK you are.
"The Coronavirus regulations require that work carried out in someone else’s home for the maintenance, upkeep or functioning of the home must only be carried out where it is essential or where that house is unoccupied. People must not go into other people’s houses for that type of work where it is not essential."
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... -guidance/

But the DIY shops are open, so there's nothing stopping you buying suitable cable - or having it delivered.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » March 14th, 2021, 8:57 am

There is a standard for supplying power over Ethernet cables. It's called "power over Ethernet" and is used for CCTV cameras, office phones, and the like.

A Poe injector supplies the power and Google says it can provide up to 25w .

Another Google says that you can buy PoE led lighting.

So yes you can use your cable, but you need a particular sort of light.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 14th, 2021, 10:02 am

Midsmartin wrote:There is a standard for supplying power over Ethernet cables. It's called "power over Ethernet" and is used for CCTV cameras, office phones, and the like.

Yes... you CAN power lights over Ethernet cable BUT not using your mains supply.
POE is not far off a telephone ring circuit - it's about half an amp at 50 V or so
- if you were extending DC (post transformer) for LEDs; a CATx cable would be great

But if you're running your mains to a sconce it's just a shite fuse ;)

-sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 14th, 2021, 11:48 am

servodude wrote:
Midsmartin wrote:There is a standard for supplying power over Ethernet cables. It's called "power over Ethernet" and is used for CCTV cameras, office phones, and the like.

Yes... you CAN power lights over Ethernet cable BUT not using your mains supply.
POE is not far off a telephone ring circuit - it's about half an amp at 50 V or so
- if you were extending DC (post transformer) for LEDs; a CATx cable would be great

But if you're running your mains to a sconce it's just a shite fuse ;)

-sd

The main reason for not using ethernet cable for mains has not been mentioned yet. The labelling.

Mains cable is easily recognised and distinguished from ethernet and telephone cable just by looking at it. Although a degree of responsibility still lies with the technician, anyone engaged later to work on the electrical installation in the house might reasonably assume data cables are not carrying mains electricity and in extremis, manage to shock or kill themselves due to said assumption. Cutting the cable believing it to be old, redundant network cable for example, having made sure all the computers in the house were turned off.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 19th, 2021, 7:42 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:So I want to mount them in front of the wall to a regular power point: I can put up a small backing piece and cut holes in that for the wires. Until I have a sparky in to do the builtin wiring and other jobs on the non-urgent list.
As has been said if the lights are extra low voltage then it is just a case of ensuring adequate current-carrying capacity of the CAT-5 cable's strands that you use for this temporary hook-up.

If however you were even considering using it for low voltage (e.g. 230V) then forget it. The insulation requirements for Band I and Band II circuits are different.

Just get an electrician in to do it. If you are worried about CoViD then leave him/her in there and go for long walk maybe.

Chris

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 19th, 2021, 9:05 am

csearle wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:So I want to mount them in front of the wall to a regular power point: I can put up a small backing piece and cut holes in that for the wires. Until I have a sparky in to do the builtin wiring and other jobs on the non-urgent list.
As has been said if the lights are extra low voltage then it is just a case of ensuring adequate current-carrying capacity of the CAT-5 cable's strands that you use for this temporary hook-up.

If however you were even considering using it for low voltage (e.g. 230V) then forget it. The insulation requirements for Band I and Band II circuits are different.

Just get an electrician in to do it. If you are worried about CoViD then leave him/her in there and go for long walk maybe.

Chris

Or even, select an electrician who has been AZ vaccinated. I've an idea that vaccinated people are much less likely to be asymptomatic carriers than non-vaccinated. AZ vaccinees at least, from the trials data. I believe the jury is out on the others, but the same is expected to be shown sooner or later.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Previous replies have noted the current-carrying capacity of Cat 5e, but one obviously also needs to take into account the insulation resistance of both the individual strands and the outer. It may be rated for nominal 125V DC (PoE maximum is 57V) but I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial bargepole for UK mains AC, even to take a low current.

Return to “Building and DIY”