Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Composite v Wood Decking

Does what it says on the tin
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Composite v Wood Decking

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 18th, 2021, 10:19 am

Can anyone tell me what the benefits of composite decking over wood are? My understanding is that composite will last longer and maintain its appearance better than wood as well as having a degree of non-slip that wood does not have. Can anyone shed some light on these observations and then provide any guidance on the benefits between the solid type and hollow section decking? Is it worth paying extra for the solid ?

The decking will be used to enlarge an existing stone patio outside our sun-room so it will be in frequent use and permanent sight so functionality and appearance are important.

Many thanks

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: Composite v Wood Decking

Postby Midsmartin » March 18th, 2021, 10:27 am

The composite is largely made of plastic. It'll probably not recycle, so will fill up landfill for ever, eventually decaying into microplastics that either sit in the landfill for ever, or eventually enter the food chain in undesirable ways.
The wood version will at least rot down eventually. Though I'd want to check what type of wood is used, and where it comes from. Much hardwood is illegally logged and imported of course.
In either case, Id try to use the smallest area, as lawn provides food for birds, hedgehogs, insects etc.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » March 18th, 2021, 10:34 am

I only have some limited experience of wood decking......I hate the stuff. We have about 6 sq/metres in front of our hot tub, so quite a small area. We have one of our people sand & restain it every year otherwise it begins to look quite tired. Other people just fit it and leave it but I always think it looks awful after a couple of years. Wood doesn't seem to take on a weathered look it starts to look worn out very quickly if it's not treated regularly.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 18th, 2021, 10:35 am

Any wood used as a surface for walking on tends to be deadly slippery in wet or damp weather once a few years old. Even more so when frosty cold. Given your patio gets frequent use, I'd advise extending it in stone.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 18th, 2021, 11:14 am

Midsmartin wrote:The composite is largely made of plastic. It'll probably not recycle, so will fill up landfill for ever, eventually decaying into microplastics that either sit in the landfill for ever, or eventually enter the food chain in undesirable ways.

I'm pretty sure that decking is one of the ways they use recycled plastics. Might be worth exploring?

But amen to the complaints about slippery wooden surfaces. Unless, of course, you wash them down with chemicals every six months? That's not ideal either.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Decking(n). Human-built ideal home for rats.

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » March 18th, 2021, 10:33 pm

We had a very large deck installed at our old house and I would never opt for wooden decking again. It looks shabby very quickly and becomes an annual chore to keep stripping it and then recoating.

I've no experience with owning or fitting composite decking but having seen it at a friend's house I thought it looked incredibly smart. I would go with a good quality composite next time.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 18th, 2021, 11:16 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Can anyone tell me what the benefits of composite decking over wood are? My understanding is that composite will last longer and maintain its appearance better than wood as well as having a degree of non-slip that wood does not have. Can anyone shed some light on these observations and then provide any guidance on the benefits between the solid type and hollow section decking? Is it worth paying extra for the solid ?

The decking will be used to enlarge an existing stone patio outside our sun-room so it will be in frequent use and permanent sight so functionality and appearance are important.

Many thanks

Hi,

Timber decking is often laid outside of the manufacturers recommendations. And this shortens its life. Timber decking should be laid to falls to allow water drainage. Most decks are laid level and the water sits on top, reducing the life of the deck considerably. I can't recall exactly but I think the fall on deck should be about 25mm over a length of about 1m.

Decking should be treated. But ... and here's the big but ... if the planks are cut then the cut ends should be treated with tanaliser.

Once tanalised timber is cut the inner part of the timber which isn't treated will be exposed. Often that's the part that will rot first. Two coats of tanaliser should be applied on site where the timber is cut.

Imagine a timber deck laid flat and not to falls and with untreated cuts in the deck planking. A recipe for disaster. Built in obsolescence because the product is installed to manufacturers recommendations.

The deck is usually laid on a timber joist frame. If that frame has been cut and not treated on site at the cut ends there's a point where it will rot from water penetration.

Many will place a weed suppressant under the joists. This will create a plain of moisture between the bottom of the joist and the top of the suppressant. An area which will be exposed to much higher levels of moisture and that will shorten the life of the timbers.

Nails and screws - many timber decks are laid with cheaper nails and or screws that aren't waterproof. Over time the fixing creates a point of weakness within the timber and reduces the lifespan of the decking.

I could go on.

Timber will be as good as composite if it's installed correctly. The inherent risk is with the workmanship.

AiY

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 19th, 2021, 6:00 am

Many thanks for the responses. I will almost certainly go with a composite but am meeting with the joiner today which could change my thoughts. Thanks AiY for your very helpful comments which I will put to the joiner.

Return to “Building and DIY”