Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Shower wall sealant

Does what it says on the tin
Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Shower wall sealant

Postby Peltiq » April 28th, 2021, 11:09 am

I need to find a waterproof filler to fill six screw holes in the laminate wall of my bathroom shower cubicle. The screws are currently holding a handrail to the shower wall and this has cracked and is starting to rust and stain the laminate.

I don't really want to use silicon sealant as it's a bit fiddly to apply. I would prefer something which can be applied and smoothed over by using a finger - a bit like normal plaster filler.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Karen

Cornytiv34
Lemon Pip

Re: Shower wall sealant

Postby Cornytiv34 » April 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm

I have just found and ordered a sealing strip for our very old shower screen from this firm and happened to see they have a lot of grab rails that might start your search.

https://www.byretech.com

The sealants they have all seem to be silicone. Good luck in your search!
Mike

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » April 28th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Peltiq wrote:
I would prefer something which can be applied and smoothed over by using a finger - a bit like normal plaster filler.

Karen

You are incorrect. Silicon sealant can be applied and smoothed over using a finger and is in fact easier to do so than normal plaster filler as it takes longer for silicone to cure.

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » April 28th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Peltiq wrote:
I would prefer something which can be applied and smoothed over by using a finger - a bit like normal plaster filler.

Karen

You are incorrect. Silicon sealant can be applied and smoothed over using a finger and is in fact easier to do so than normal plaster filler as it takes longer for silicone to cure.

If you are confident that this will work, I will give it a go. Should I use a dry or wet finger? I have read that washing-up detergent helps!

K

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » April 28th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Peltiq wrote:
Mike88 wrote:
Peltiq wrote:

Karen

If you are confident that this will work, I will give it a go. Should I use a dry or wet finger? I have read that washing-up detergent helps!

K

A wet finger. Have a clean rag handy and wipe your finger clean if you have to go over it again. As it happened I did a lot of siliconing yesterday.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » April 28th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Peltiq wrote:
Mike88 wrote:
Peltiq wrote:

Karen

K

Silicone won't stick to a wet surface so I would gun some silicone into each hole then smooth off with a damp finger. I don't think washing up liquid will make much difference in this scenario. Sprayed water with a touch of washing up liquid can help get a neat bead when siliconing along edges or joints. Again, it's sprayed after application. The idea being that as the bead is smoothed off, any spread will not stick to the tiles etc, where it's not needed

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 28th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Peltiq wrote:I need to find a waterproof filler to fill six screw holes in the laminate wall of my bathroom shower cubicle. The screws are currently holding a handrail to the shower wall and this has cracked and is starting to rust and stain the laminate.

I don't really want to use silicon sealant as it's a bit fiddly to apply. I would prefer something which can be applied and smoothed over by using a finger - a bit like normal plaster filler.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Karen

Karen,

I'll be there first thing in the morning :lol: (Sorry my bad)

There's a contradiction in your question. If you want waterproof, then silicone is really your best option. If you prefer to think of it as the "Gold Standard" in the building world for waterproof sealant in shower cubicles. I'm not sure if you're saying the handrail is damaged or the shower cubicle?

I'd suggest you replace the handrail if it's that which is damaged.

If you can a photograph would really be useful as I'm not entirely sure what your describing.

Failing which;
Is it a shower cubicle or a tiled shower area forming a cubicle using the walls of your home?

AiY

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » May 5th, 2021, 2:20 pm

M\any thanks for all the advice.

I ended buying a tube of Unibond tile adhesive and grout and that seems to have done the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UniBond-264363 ... N4DB9?th=1

I removed the 6 screws and rawlplugs which were holding the hand-rail to the wall and squirted a blob of the grout into the remaining holes. I left it for 24 hours to go off and hey presto!

As a bonus, the grey grout more or less matches the laminate shower wall.

eisman
Lemon Pip

Postby eisman » May 12th, 2021, 12:47 am

Whilst the OP has resolved his issue, I should comment on Staffordian's reply:

I don't think washing up liquid will make much difference in this scenario. Sprayed water with a touch of washing up liquid can help get a neat bead when siliconing along edges or joints. Again, it's sprayed after application. The idea being that as the bead is smoothed off, any spread will not stick to the tiles etc, where it's not needed

Actually, using washing up liquid can cause the sealant to fail. I recommend watching Charlie DIYte's video on how to apply silicone sealant, in which he explains why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DI4hfHM_Hg

Return to “Building and DIY”