Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Repair rubber seal on exterior soil pipe

Does what it says on the tin
Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Repair rubber seal on exterior soil pipe

Postby Wuzwine » June 12th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Evening all,

I have just seen that one joint has broken up. You can see the black inner pipe, and the other joints look poor. There are no leaks.

I have bought Gorrilla Tape White and white Rubawrap waterproof Self Amalgamating tape.

I was intending to use the Gorilla 48mm to cover the gap and than use a few layers of 25mm over that to furher weatherproof it. Not sure if I should only use one or the other?

On the other joints which look brittle, I was intending to use only the Gorilla tape.

I realise I will need to have the whole lot replaced, as I haven't the head for heights to tape the seal at the joint to the top vent part!

So given that it is going to be a bodge up, any advice? I intend to give it a go even if you think I am mad!! Waiting to at least Monday when the better half is out to attempt it. I now feel sorry for poor Basil Fawlty who also suffered from an non-sympathetic partner when organising repairs!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wuzwine

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Repair rubber seal on exterior soil pipe

Postby Mike4 » June 12th, 2021, 9:26 pm

I'd just leave it alone if I were you, until such time as you can engage someone professional to replace it.

Crumbling or failing joints in the vent pipe above where the highest water connection, err, connects, don't really matter a stuff as the only ever carry fresh air.

Well, air anyway.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 12th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Wuzwine wrote:Evening all,

I have just seen that one joint has broken up. You can see the black inner pipe, and the other joints look poor. There are no leaks.

I have bought Gorrilla Tape White and white Rubawrap waterproof Self Amalgamating tape.

I was intending to use the Gorilla 48mm to cover the gap and than use a few layers of 25mm over that to furher weatherproof it. Not sure if I should only use one or the other?

On the other joints which look brittle, I was intending to use only the Gorilla tape.

I realise I will need to have the whole lot replaced, as I haven't the head for heights to tape the seal at the joint to the top vent part!

So given that it is going to be a bodge up, any advice? I intend to give it a go even if you think I am mad!! Waiting to at least Monday when the better half is out to attempt it. I now feel sorry for poor Basil Fawlty who also suffered from an non-sympathetic partner when organising repairs!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wuzwine

Can I just check please. Are you proposing to use the gorilla tape on the soil and vent pipe or your broken neck? I'm somewhat of an expert in bodge jobs. I have to be as its my job to pay for the works but only if they meet a standard. I am not empowered to pay for bodge jobs and have seen more than you would imagine.

The only advice I can give you is your better half clearly has a grasp of your abilities and is, between the two of you, to be commended for such a great depth of understanding.

You really are putting yourself in danger

AiY

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 12th, 2021, 10:04 pm

Can you confirm what your soil pipe is made of please? As it has broken, I suspect cast iron as other materials don't usually break. What makes me wonder is that you mention a rubber seal, and cast iron does not usually have rubber seals. There are new cast iron soil pipe fittings that do use rubber seals but most people now use plastic unless it is for a listed building.

If it does not leak, I suggest leaving it well alone until you can get it replaced. If it does leak, you could use Denso tape or one of its equivalents, e.g., https://www.toolstation.com/petro-tape-10m/p57185 . This is messy,mucky,sticky,yucky stuff so I highly recommend disposable gloves.

Julian F. G. W.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 12th, 2021, 10:21 pm

jfgw wrote:If it does leak, you could use Denso tape or one of its equivalents, e.g., https://www.toolstation.com/petro-tape-10m/p57185 . This is messy,mucky,sticky,yucky stuff so I highly recommend disposable gloves.

Julian F. G. W.

Master of the understatement, as always.

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 13th, 2021, 8:37 am

Morning all,

Sorry, I should have said it is plastic installed in 2006. It has joints at the bends as the 2006 loft extension is further in ie not straight up from the ground floor.

It is fed by a toilet, shower and basin.

All the joints, bar two, are above where these pipes join the down pipe. The odd one is one just below and it is reachable from a step ladder.. This is the one I want to patch up. I will also patch the joint on the pipe from the shower room to the main downpipe as it also carrying waste.

The rest aren't as bad so will last a year or two and are just venting.

It only needs to last a year or so as the plumber who fitted it is not available for a few months. I will get some Denso tape tomorrow, if the local Screwfix has some, otherwise I should be near a Toolstation next Wed. I have lots of disposable gloves as I am a messy bodger!

Thanks and recs to all,

Wuzwine

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 13th, 2021, 10:37 am

If it's not leaking leave it alone. If it starts to leak then take action.

If it's plastic soil the upper section slots into the collar of the lower section. In effect the bottom end of the higher pipe is lower than the top of the lower pipe. (I had to check that I'd written that right, have a look it's obvious.)

Unless the contents of the pipe can defy gravity there shouldn't be a leak.

Clever stuff.

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 13th, 2021, 11:33 am

Thanks Sq31,

I just thought it would also look better with white tape rather than seeing the black inner.

However in view of what the general opinion is I will leave it. Will ask my neighbour when he comes back as he has always done a lot of expert work. He seems to never rest, as he has a perfect house and a couple of acres of well-tended garden. I suspect he will say it looks ugly and I should have got someone to do it yesterday!

My late parents house had cast iron and that lasted about 60 years and it was the guttering that failed and the whole lot was replaced by plastic. It lasted their time about 13 years. I was very surprised to find the plastic seals only last about 15/16 years!

Thanks again everyone and now to go and do a little gardening. Too hot to do much until evening!

Wuz

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 13th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Wuzwine wrote:My late parents house had cast iron and that lasted about 60 years and it was the guttering that failed and the whole lot was replaced by plastic. It lasted their time about 13 years. I was very surprised to find the plastic seals only last about 15/16 years!

O/T, I suppose, but I've found that some of the epoxy metal fillers you can get these days are very effective on cast iron. Bungee Towers has a lot of proper Coalbrookdale guttering and downpipes - the real Victorian deal! - and even postcard-sized holes caused by frost damage have healed up perfectly. I gather that people have used these metal fillers to repair engine blocks. :shock:

You do have to get everything perfectly clean and dry, though. That's not difficult on a gutter, as long as you're happy wielding an angle grinder on a shaky ladder 30 feet up from the ground. :lol:

Seriously, as others have already advised, leave this particular plastic soil pipe until somebody with experience and/or insurance can deal with it. You know it makes sense.....

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 15th, 2021, 11:45 am

And when you do need to do something, get the whole lot replaced with proper cast iron from Longbottom.
https://longbottomfoundry.co.uk/

Plastic... pffft.

V8

Return to “Building and DIY”